Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
Havign an issue specific to Wikia, but worth noting for those who edit on both ATT branches:

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:330587

Wikia has a bunch of word filters to prevent various forms of spam and other obscenity from being abused, and one of their filters is on a certain "n-word", which is problem for certain pages on classical literature, quotations by actors, historical source documents, and other related topics.

Unless Wikia can modify their fliters to allow pages with these terms to be properly edited, this may be the first time I've had to censor legitimate content there because of super anal spam filters.

I'll have an update on what they decide to do.

Update: Wikia won't budge. Understandable due to their needing to globally prevent trolls from spamming obscenites, so it looks like I'll have to implement an alternate solution.

Update 2: To get around their spam filter, a compromise solution was hammered out. I'm going to have a bot replace all uses of the word in question with a template substitute, so in the event the pages are ported over to Miraheze for whatever reason, they can be changed back with a simple bot job/MassEditRegex operation. Only about a hundred pages will need this, so it's not a major issue. It's worth noting Wikia is aware of ATT Wikia's innocent and legitimate intentions, but they just can't risk lowering the gates, lest the barbarian horde of trolls who get their kicks spamming racial slurs take advantage of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII - by GethN7 - 10-07-2020, 03:57 PM