Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it seems there wasn't a Politics Images thread before either
RE: So it seems there wasn't a Politics Images thread before either
Compared to the current offerings like Rings of Power or She-Hulk, let alone DiscoTrek or, say, Ghostbusters 2016?? Yes, Star Trek TOS was a model of goddamn subtlety. The Oinkbane the Deadly of social commentary! ST:First Contact is actually one of the examples I'd hold up for doing it really right, especially Lily Sloane, Cochrane's second in command who keeps their group organized and supplied, stays cool and gets right on top of repelling the intruders when their base is invaded, escapes and evades being recaptured after being stunned and transported to the ship by the TNG crew, STILL stays rational when space-zombies force a team up and everything is explained, and even calls Picard on his bullshit and makes him get his head on straight too.

The fact that all this is accomplished by a black woman is never shoved in your face. She just does it, and is black, and no one is surprised by those things. Being a badass and a capable administrator and technologically savvy is only notable because those traits are rare in isolation let alone combined, not because a black woman is displaying them.

As for Narnia, I never even caught on to the RL religious undertones of then until someone went out of their way to explain it and poke fun at me for admitting to liking them when I am vehemently anti-religion, so again I have to say yes. It did ruin them for me, but if that person hadn't had to go and be maximum asshole I can't say I'd ever have noticed, and might even have softened from my zero-tolerance stance if I had eventually figured it out, rather than having the worst kind of religious douchebaggery shoved in my face, making it the perfect counter example for why the current, aggressive tack is ineffective at best and counterproductive all too often even when it's sincere, let alone this bullshit of blaming whatever -ist-ism of the moment for people calling out lazy, shoddy writing that ignores the long established lore and tone of settings and/or characters to push whatever social agenda in the most blatant and offensive way possible.

Let me also be clear that I am in more than one of the social minority groups commonly being "defended" like this, and yes, shit's been bad and even where it's getting better it's not fast enough, and goddammit stop helping because you're just giving the reactionaries ammunition.
--
‎noli esse culus

Messages In This Thread
Trump's Note to Biden revealed: - by Bob Schroeck - 01-24-2021, 06:31 PM
RE: So it seems there wasn't a Politics Images thread before either - by classicdrogn - 09-15-2022, 03:20 PM