Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
Just got my first Pfizer shot. So that part of my life is ticking along smoothly.
Hurrah!
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-16-2021, 03:17 PM)Dragonflight Wrote: Just got my first Pfizer shot. So that part of my life is ticking along smoothly.
[Image: wIDHZzL.png]
Second Pfizer shot: get. Despite what I've been hearing (second shot side effects worse than first, especially if you've had the plague before), the only side effect I had was a sore arm. Which was, admittedly, worse than the first shot, but no other side effects that I've noticed.
Yeah, sounds about like what happened to me.

In the meantime, I got out of the house today. I needed to drop a mail-in ballot at an area dropbox.
(05-15-2021, 04:40 PM)yr. Corresp. Wrote: Got my first Moderna on Wednesday as scheduled. Haven't yet scheduled the second shot because the sign-up was sent as a text to my phone and I keep forgetting about my texts.

Update: Either they had an auto-reminder set or they got tired of waiting for me to get off my limestones. Whatever the reason, Keystone Family Medicine phoned me to set up Jab Two for June 9.
Still managing. Doing a lot of "wait and see" with regards to events outside where we may be in contact with the unvaccinated. Still wearing masks in spite of them saying we (as in, those of us vaccinated) don't have to any more. Still looking to October as the earliest convention we may attend.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Personally, I'm kind of just expecting to always wear a mask for the foreseeable future. If it gets uncommon enough for someone to comment on it, I can just tell them "This is The Way."
--
‎noli esse culus
There's a potential meme image there... if it's not already been done.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-21-2021, 12:52 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: There's a potential meme image there... if it's not already been done.

I've seen one, but can't remember where.

Edit: Found it on Reddit.

https://i.redd.it/fp437vlr80q51.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/4CB6W6X
<applause>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I am still alive.  I took my second Pfizer yesterday (the second dose is the one with the government microchip).  I feel a little bit tired today, arm is sore, but nothing to really complain about.  In two weeks, I'll be ready to travel the world mask-free.

Of course, I actually started traveling last week, visiting a few national parks: Saguaro, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Petrified Forest, and Montezuma's Castle.  It was enjoyable to get out in the world for a while, see some sights, take some pictures, and just be somewhere besides home.  My traveling partner booked an AirBnB that was actually a guest ranch way out on a gravel road -- but then I got to ride a horse for the first time.  That was pretty fun.  I also definitely recommend White Sands at sunset, it's amazing.  The caverns in the pandemic... well, they told us to wear masks in the cave, because it's an enclosed space.  But I wear glasses, and it's so humid in the cave that it would take just one breath to completely fog up the glasses.  Weighing the risk of death from the corona while half-vaccinated against the risk of falling into a bottomless pit... well, I ended up wearing my mask like the idiots, with it not covering my nose.

Arizona seemed to be fairly maskless everywhere, except maybe Tuscon.  No masks around Carlsbad and Roswell, but for some reason in Santa Fe everyone wore masks and the restaurants took your info for contact tracing.  It's almost as if people are only worried about the virus in Democratic areas.

Really though, the travel did a world of good psychologically.  I'd recommend it to everyone else.  You don't have to travel where everyone is, you can just keep the cacti company for a while and that's okay.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Still around and good, still working.
(05-23-2021, 02:14 AM)Labster Wrote: I am still alive.  I took my second Pfizer yesterday (the second dose is the one with the government microchip).

There can't be a microchip in the shot. There's a microchip shortage nowadays.

Waitaminute... Smile

(05-23-2021, 02:14 AM)Labster Wrote: Really though, the travel did a world of good psychologically.  I'd recommend it to everyone else.  You don't have to travel where everyone is, you can just keep the cacti company for a while and that's okay.

Still under lockdown here for another week and a half. (And vaccine shortages mean it's months between shots here, not weeks.) But there's a nice place just south of here that I've been wanting to visit since before the pandemic was declared... maybe I'll go the weekend after next.

What? My status? Still alive, still working. Not taking nearly enough vacation time. (Rounding to the nearest full week, I have double what I'm allowed to carry over year-to-year, not including the vacation time that I've already booked off for summer and Xmas 2021.) My boss is aware that I'll probably be taking more time off later in the year, and I'm already making a list of where I want to go.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Department has been completely vaccinated by this point, so things are essentially back to normal. Locally all the restaurant restrictions and masks go away June 11, but less than half are still holding to the masks when I last looked.

I'm alive (mostly) Home now from hospital after having a 4 cm tumor removed from next to my heart (rare genetic diseases SUCK - this was tumor #16. Differing locations about my body).
(05-23-2021, 10:19 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 02:14 AM)Labster Wrote: I am still alive.  I took my second Pfizer yesterday (the second dose is the one with the government microchip).

There can't be a microchip in the shot. There's a microchip shortage nowadays.

Waitaminute... Smile

No, no, no, the second shot is the one that mutates your DNA so you're no longer human. The first shot has the microchip in it.

The third shot... that's the one no one talks about because you get it when your body goes on autopilot in the middle of the night while you're asleep.

EDIT: Seriously, Peg and I are deciding to live a little dangerously this summer. In addition to our usual beach house week at the start of July, we're going to be doing a couple nights at the Hard Rock Hotel in Atlantic City less than a week before, to celebrate my birthday. That'll be our first hotel stay since the pandemic.
-- Bob

Still months away from getting the needle.

Traffic is back to normal for everyone else.

Entire health service got encrypted by russians and had to revert to paper and runners.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
At this point, living dangerously for me would be going out to the suburbs on mass transit. Being fully vaxxed, I'd be willing to take a chance on that now.
Still here. My work-related case manager wants me to rearrange my fairly depressing blog site (created to help me deal with depression issues,) to be something positive and upbeat, as a showpiece I can use to find new work. While I understand where she's coming from, I'm not sure I can pull that off. I'm just not inherently upbeat and bouncy by nature.

Medically, life is just ticking along. Nothing new here right now, which is good. My second Covid jab is scheduled for September, but as we get more shots in, I suspect that'll get moved up.

Edit: Oh, in case you've ever wondered why Canada seems to lack the ability to make its own antivirals... Blame Stephen Harper. Back in the 70's, we had one of the best viral research and production laboratories around. Then when Harper rose to power early in this millenium, he sold it off to private interests because he felt maintaining that capacity was a waste of government resources. Fast-forward to the pandemic, and Trudeau authorizing the construction of a huge new antiviral laboratory which we won't have available until years from now. All thanks to King Harper, and his mini-Fascists Scheer, Ford, and O'Toole. (Yes, I hate the Harper legacy, why do you ask?)
*plays "Still Alive"*

Had a bit of cabin fever induced depression, so I managed to take off three days from work and rented an el cheapo tiny cottage on Bruxton, Hatteras Island. I'm pretty sure it was twice as old as I am, if in surprisingly good shape. Though the entire building shook every time I flushed the toilet.

Anyway, saw the lighthouse, visited the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, gave myself a blister on my foot from the hot sand. It was a nice, mind-healing getaway.

And I am currently writing this while back at work. *makes face... then laughs it off*
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Another day ticked over. Still wearing a mask out of the house, because I somehow still fucking care about people.

Looking forward to our first tabletop RPG in person session this Sunday. Got a fresh tank of propane for the grill, fixed the gate, gonna be doing laundry and dishes here soonish so that I can more or less enjoy my four day weekend in style.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Still here, still going into work, got my first jab...  All in all, nothing really has changed.
Figured I should add a post here since I haven't been active otherwise the past couple of days - I'm deciding how much I hate the Disgaea 6 demo, and if it's enough to not want to play the full game.

I hate it a lot, but mostly for being less of everything but numbers to count what's left than previous games when the series has always been about having more, not because it's objectively a bad game. I've laughed at the jokes, and want to see what's going on with the plot... but between cutting more than half the types of units you can make and mobigame style autoplay, its very much feels like going from LEGO Technic to Duplo blocks.

-- Except for the way you set the AI for your units. That is engagingly complex and overall pretty amazing, the first time something has come close to FF12's Gambit system let alone going so far beyond in flexibility, and just plain giving you all the commands in four or so easy to pass Dark Assembly bills rather than a collection sidequest spread across 90% of the length of the game is welcome too.

It does mean I'm going to be thoroughly distracted for at least a few more days, though.
--
‎noli esse culus
I'm still here. Working on getting out of the house more post-vaccine.
We're getting enough vaccines that the province said we can re-book our appointments for second shots, starting with the oldest people and working down the age list.

The online booking portal immediately crashed from overuse.

Oh, and the lockdown's ending today. Nothing's allowed to re-open if it was closed for the lockdown, but at least we can get out of the house for things other than groceries and work now. I guess that means I can go buy food from a grocery store that isn't the closest one to me.

(Oh, and this is post 300 in this thread.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown