Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
You think that's bad?

The Dutch government has concluded that general vaccination isn't going to start before July.
Oh, i know. Anybody who thinks this is going to be over before Christmas 2021 is either dreaming or deluded.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, the earliest convention we're looking at here is in October, and I recognize that's in doubt given the way vaccinations have rolled out so far. Our governor is indicating an expectation that we can return to some level of socialization come summer, but I'm not keeping my hopes up, and it's going to depend greatly on how effective it is against some of the variants that have cropped up, and whether or not people who are vaccinated can still be spreaders despite not getting sick.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(03-15-2021, 05:50 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, i know. Anybody who thinks this is going to be over before Christmas 2021 is either dreaming or deluded.

Yeah, when I first pointed out to my mom that I didn't think it was worth the risk to get together for Thanksgiving or Christmas last year, she suggested my birthday which is in May. My response was something along the lines of "We'll see, but I don't expect things to be over by then." Looks like I was right.

I'm still here. The latest COVID relief payment turned up in my checking account today, and I blew a chance to get vaccinated today by waiting too long after I got the notification email to sign up. Every slot had already been taken by the time I got around to it. Hopefully, I'll get another notification soon, and I won't waste my time with that one.
I'm surprised it's not a simple 'here is your appointment, please reply if you want to cancel and/or reschedule'.
Leave it to Philly to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I just got a new notification, and I've scheduled an appointment for the Pfizer vaccine on March 26.
And just to add to the list: as I noted in the COVID thread that isn't pinned to the top of the board, Peg and I got our notifications and will be getting our vaccinations Sunday around noonish.

And it seems to be that complicated everywhere I've got friends and family. They don't schedule you, they just let you know you can make your appointment if you want.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Obviously I only know about my own area, but there are multiple CVS stores and clinics all handling their own scheduling around here along with the mass-vax locations being directly run by the state, so if someone has put themselves on multiple lists to take the soonest available, any other one that comes up would be wasting a slot if they automatically made an appointment rather than just sending a notice that they had one available. The limiting factor so far is how many doses they have available rather than how many people they can process during open hours, but the system was set up for maximum throughput rather than low-volume efficiency.
--
‎noli esse culus
Weekly check-in time.  Still going into work.
Heh. Well, Rob, while they SAY Disneyland MIGHT open as soon as 4/1... well...

April Fools? To be honest I don't think I want to trust the sitting CA Governor to keep his word?

Either way, though, I hope restrictions MIGHT be relaxed by March 2022 so I can go on the Star Trek Cruise I signed up for back in 2020 right before the world locked me away!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Nah governor of CA is scared of the recall, so he's opening up everything fast. Ventura County is now "red" so restaurants are open back up again.

I had a friend go on a cruise right before the virus made it to the US. He ended up dying onboard. Not from the virus, but he drowned while scuba diving. And as I write this, I realize that wow, only a year ago, I could still get friends like him hired at work just by my recommendation. And here I am, unemployed today. What a world.

Parents have both had Moderna jab #1. It sounds like from now on they're letting people determine on their own if they meet the qualifications to get vaccinated, so I may be up soon, if I decide I'm important enough.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
From what I heard from you on Discord, the job thing was a blessing, not a curse. Speaking of JUST BEFORE (akio... err the end of the world)... I was at DisneyWORLD when they were closing down. Used the last day of my multiday ticket on the very last day they were open (appropriatly enough, the Magic Kingdom was the last to be shut down) before we were all locked away. Got off the plane in Lost Angeles only to have Governor "I don't want anyone to have any fun, but they'll be alive and thank me for it" Newsome shut the state down.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I managed to snag an appointment on Sunday at a more congenial hour than the first appointment I made, so I've cancelled the first appointment. The new appointment also has the advantage of both ends of the trip being a block from the bus route where the first one would have required a ten-minute walk from one end, which end would depend on which bus I took. The new appointment also puts me close to a Trader Joe's. I plan on taking advantage of that if I can.

UPDATE: Got the first shot (Pfizer), and scheduled the second. Didn't make it to Trader Joe's. Got out of the house too late to do it before and was too tired after.
Still here, still waiting.

Ontario's taking its sweet time. Of all the provinces, we're doing the worst. Trust the Ford Government to be the poster child for governmental inefficiency and waste. If you don't know the difference between the Liberal and Conservative parties in Canada, Liberals believe in helping the little guy, cutting the average person a break, taxing the wealthy, and advancing policies like greener initiatives, tax reform, and recognizing that government has no business trying to legislate what women do with their bodies. Conservatives basically believe in everything Trump stood for, they're just less vocal about it. The federal government under Stephen Harper about a decade ago was almost a totalitarian dictatorship by the time he was thrown out. And the Conservatives still idolize him as who they all aspire to be like, someday.

Anyway, smart people will tell you that the political parties are very different animals at the provincial and federal levels. This is true. But Doug Ford is just so Conservative that it isn't making a difference this time. The smart thing he's doing is he's vaccinating in the province based on age, starting with the oldest and working his way back. But his techniques are so inefficient, by the time they get to me, sitting at just over 50, it'll probably be August or September. I shudder to think how long it'll take him to vaccinate school kids.
Got tested sunday, got a positive result yesterday evening. Thankfully, my syptoms are mild, but since I'm not in the high risk demographic, I was never worried about myself.
Once again, my blade has it is time to check in.  Still going into work.
Still making the rounds. Still somehow making my SAN rolls.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Still here, had Moderna shot 1 of 2, with 2 of 2 on April 16th.

Since my last check-in my brother, who works at the Norfolk Naval Yard, contracted the virus, recovered, and is back at work again. Apparently his symptoms were so minor he was more annoyed by his quarantine than anything else. Thankfully, his wife and kids tested negative.

My boss at my security job, though, doesn't believe in vaccination and will not be getting any shot.
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Well, there is news of a sort here - Massachusetts has announced a date when people under 60 with only one medical condition off the risk list (so I finally qualify for it) will be able to begin scheduling a first shot April 5. Nnnot doing so well at it around here, are we? At least my father, being over 70 and having COPD to give him respiratory issues at the best of times, did get his second shot a few days ago.
--
‎noli esse culus
(03-26-2021, 01:26 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Well, there is news of a sort here - Massachusetts has announced a date when people under 60 with only one medical condition off the risk list (so I finally qualify for it) will be able to begin scheduling a first shot April 5. Nnnot doing so well at it around here, are we? At least my father, being over 70 and having COPD to give him respiratory issues at the best of times, did get his second shot a few days ago.

At least you're vaccinating members of the general public under 60.

Meanwhile, in Ottawa, there are at least two nursing homes where less than half the staff have been vaccinated.

Oh, yes: Still here. Still alive. Now avoiding nursing homes like the plague.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Still on my feet. We're getting the full reminder why my husband tried to get out of the big corporate life (and COVID put him right back in it because we gots to pay the bills)... running him into the ground because someone can't put together a sufficient business case that there's more work than one man can handle without going full steam for too long a stretch. 8 hours? Hunky Dory. 8 hours with really no chance to catch a break and even then just barely keeping up with the work? Not so much.
Just got my second Pfizer shot. No real side effects.

My parents are both fully vaccinated as well, but my brother and his family are in Massachusetts and have yet to even have the chance to schedule it.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
OK, bit late for the check in.  But hey, I've got back the hour from the clocks going forward finally...
(04-02-2021, 10:41 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: My parents are both fully vaccinated as well, but my brother and his family are in Massachusetts and have yet to even have the chance to schedule it.

Considering that my mom, who is in Boston, only managed to schedule her vaccination after I got my first shot (in Philadelphia), I'm not surprised.

I'm still here and expect to get my second shot next week.
I live at home with the family.

They're having friends over, which they're not supposed to do. It's fucking despairing - they're so fucking happy. Neighbours are having parties. What's the fucking point in following the rules and being misereable when everyone else gets to be happy.

They get to be happy. I get to burnout.

Jokes on them - I've a Covid test tomorrow.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.