Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage
RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage
(01-15-2021, 12:58 AM)Labster Wrote: AMG!Urd loves her sister almost to the point that Tomoyo Daidouji loves Sakura Kinomoto.  Belldandy is the reason she is not a demon; their relationship is why she continues to want to be a goddess and live up to her younger sister's example.  To see Urd complaining about her sister's happiness seems a little wrong.  Her self-pity will only take her so far, even when drunk.

Also she's in Japan, so the illegal drugs thing is kinda something that would be very off-limits for someone trying to be a goddess.  She'd get her drivers goddess license suspended.  I know she's Norse and the Scandinavian attitude is quite different, but she is still trying to be a paragon of happy goodness, even if Bell does it better.

I mean, the main thing I saw is that you crank up her personality to eleven, when Urd has good reasons to be more of a seven.

On Ranma's girls, I mean, you have to understand they all have hormones and Ranma is really good looking in both forms.  I guess I haven't read enough fic to ruin them all for me and I've read the manga but not seen most of the anime.  On Ami/Ranma, they're both good looking, and he studies martial arts as hard as she studies school.  I still can't help but feel like Rei/Ranma is the more natural match, but in the real world love matches aren't always what you'd expect.

Honestly I just wish you could tell me how you write at this speed because it takes me forever to do anything.  Honestly 500 words in a day would be a triumph for me.  Which is another way of saying there isn't much Urd to see yet... just one scene of note in the There's Nothing Better subforum -- search for "chugging" to get to the scene where she's flirting with my SI.  There are other references to Urd in that long story, but half of them are to Sakura's The Mirror card, who is currently impersonating chibi-Urd for Halloween.
Yeah, I can see I may have given Urd somewhat contradictory motivations in the second chapter, but I thought it might be an interesting take on her despite me only being about halfway through the manga at the time. (Well, now I've gotten to the arc where Hagall shows up. End is in sight! Woo!)

The drugs were imbibed in China - a Taoist Immortal's magic shroom stash and whatnot - while Genma and son were fiddling around there. Before he'd gotten the idea to go to Jusenkyo, of course, but China's a big country, and I imagine Genma was able to fly pretty low while the CCP was going through upheaval. Not a lot of moralizing able to be done, she hadn't met Keiichi yet - she was just kinda fooling around, really.

So, yeah, I guess I kinda turned her wacky factor up a bit for most of these chapters and rendered Ranma the straight man to a degree. Since I don't think I can really nail melodrama without more setup I was - and still am - going for screwball cracktastic comedy over all else.

Yeah, as for the fiancees - whoo. You're probably not gonna like what I got them into in Chapter 5, then. Hanging out with Mara and whatnot. I'm still not sure how to make sure they all get a good shot at what they want despite Urd's poor decision-making capabilities and desire to play love goddess. It's like... a guy on SV wrote This and I can't help but agree with it, but at the same time I'm writing Kodachi as an unhinged bitch in the first part of chapter 5 because I just had so much fun having her write a continuous stream of self-aggrandizement and elaborate insults. Then there are people who say that all the fiancees want an idealized version of Ranma who isn't who he really is, and I thought well I'll try to aim for something like that and have Urd just shunt him away for awhile - but then there are people who feel the opposite way. Agh! I wish I could make up my mind and just admit I can't please everyone.

Oh, and I'm trying to triple-crossover Sailor Moon but most of what I know about it comes from the Shadowjack In Which I Watch. This may be a terrible idea. I got the impression that Rei was just a less violent flavor of tsundere, thought to myself maybe Ranma would hit it off better intially with someone less aggressive? So I'm willing to listen as to why you think Mars would work better, because you probably know better than I do.

The writing speed - eh. I have homework I haven't been doing, I've been cooped up in a single dorm for about a week as my campus goes through an initial quarantine phase before starting the quarter in earnest - I just have a lot of time to write this stuff. Even then, yeah, I'm amazed at my own output as well, but it's, I dunno, easier to write absolutely unhinged comedy without regard for proper canonical characterization or logic or techno-plausibility? I updated at a glacial pace with my BGC stuff, not because I could only write so many words per day, but more because I would continuously write myself into corners and have no idea how to continue the plot. Once I had a clear vision of an action scene or whatever, everything became easier. Not easy. Just easier.

New Chapter. I'm leaving who Ranma's gonna date up in the air, because, well - now I genuinely can't decide, and I just wanted to get the jokes out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - by STMPD - 01-15-2021, 01:34 PM