Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
(09-11-2021, 02:05 AM)Labster Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 06:12 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 03:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: Editing Wikivoyage today, noticed this page on that wiki, and wondered whether we should have something like it.

Obviously we can't just copy that page because we have different rules (for one thing, the two wikis' view of anonymous editing are vastly different), but it could serve as a guideline for something similar.

You mean like WP's Be Bold thing, don't we already have something like that? If we don't I have no objections to it, as long as the rules are clear bright line.

Don't want a situation where LT and the new users butt heads because the latter "boldly" took TVT content and copypasted en masse.

ATT:BOLD

That's the one.

Also Tried to decipher what this guy did beyond removing the spaces between the bullet points and the text but I gave up, can someone review https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...odid=14608 please?
(09-11-2021, 07:50 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: Also Tried to decipher what this guy did beyond removing the spaces between the bullet points and the text but I gave up, can someone review https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...odid=14608 please?

There's a couple of new subbullet entries, and two character names were put into spoiler text.

I'll approve it, then restore the spaces between the bullet points and the text.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Speaking of that page, I thought we had anon editing disabled. But this edit exists. Was it after January 2020 that we disabled anon editing?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-11-2021, 07:50 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 03:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: Editing Wikivoyage today, noticed this page on that wiki, and wondered whether we should have something like it.

Obviously we can't just copy that page because we have different rules (for one thing, the two wikis' view of anonymous editing are vastly different), but it could serve as a guideline for something similar.

You mean like WP's Be Bold thing, don't we already have something like that? If we don't I have no objections to it, as long as the rules are clear bright line.

Don't want a situation where LT and the new users butt heads because the latter "boldly" took TVT content and copypasted en masse.

That's the one.

That's why I couldn't find it - it's part of a larger page, not a page on its own.

I just made a slight change to it, though: The sentence "You don't need to ask for permission to do something here." is now "You don't need to ask for permission to do something here, as long as you don't break any of the rules that we have to protect the wiki for everybody."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-11-2021, 08:53 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 07:50 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:

That's the one.

That's why I couldn't find it - it's part of a larger page, not a page on its own.

I just made a slight change to it, though: The sentence "You don't need to ask for permission to do something here." is now "You don't need to ask for permission to do something here, as long as you don't break any of the rules that we have to protect the wiki for everybody."

There's a good argument to be made that there are certain ATT-namespace pages we don't show enough/clearly to non-registers/new users.
New template: {{page needs original description}}

For pages where the description was copied wholesale from Wikipedia, Amazon, IMDB, the back cover of the work, or anywhere else that isn't TVT.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-11-2021, 10:25 AM)robkelk Wrote: New template: {{page needs original description}}

For pages where the description was copied wholesale from Wikipedia, Amazon, IMDB, the back cover of the work, or anywhere else that isn't TVT.

We should probably note in the description of that template that Wikipedia is legal for us to copy from, but that originality is preferred over it.
(09-11-2021, 10:55 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 10:25 AM)robkelk Wrote: New template: {{page needs original description}}

We should probably note in the description of that template that Wikipedia is legal for us to copy from, but that originality is preferred over it.

Feel free to mention that on the Category page. The template's text is already longer than I'd prefer.

Another new template: {{page needs link}}

For pages that describe works as being online legally, but don't link to the works.

EDIT: And that's enough wiki work for me for today. Templates for "This page needs a cleanup pass for grammar and usage" and "The original version of this article was written by the writer of the work being discussed" will have to wait.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A new user is trying to port in some non-ATT formated article about a game and I am very unsure if it's a sincere contribution or just spam, currently rejecting at moderation log but I prefer second opinions. It also likes to use links to some sketchy image upload site for their images, not realising our image upload facilities. Google pulls up probable Russian origin of the user.
I already rejected that one and blocked the user as a spammer. The text layout was obviously a copy of the Wikipedia page and the links all went to the same site, differing only by the tracking bugs on each URL.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Could somebody take a look at this page, please? Umbire the Phantom put the cleanup template on it but didn't give a reason.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know that nobody wants to look at poorly-written Trope Workshop pages (which are not all Kuma's fault), but we have to. These three have been waiting for edit passes for grammar, usage and style for months:

* Trope Workshop:Chaos Control
* Trope Workshop:The Bully is a Nerd
* Trope Workshop:Metaphysical App

Speaking of the Trope Workshop, I've proposed deletion of these two. See the talk pages for specifics.
* Trope Workshop:Remakequel
* Trope Workshop:Random-Number Band Name
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-12-2021, 07:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: Could somebody take a look at this page, please? Umbire the Phantom put the cleanup template on it but didn't give a reason.

By a quick glance it seems that the age of the content (due to being virtually untouched by humans until Umbire came along) along with the usual TV troper style of limited-context (not zero) examples, possible outdatedness, linking to the website of the show which just redirects to another Disney service at this point.

I'm sure if I was more familiar with the subject matter I could analyse more deeply.
I barely know The Proud Family exists, and that from secondary sources, so I can't do anything to help.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
LulzKiller: Thanks. I'll replace "cleanup" with "outdated".

Bob: Likewise, which is why I had to ask.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Meanwhile, is anyone having problems logging in/staying logged in to the wiki? For the last half-hour or so I've been experiencing a problem where I'm getting logged out as I open a page for edit or save it after editing -- and it won't keep me logged in no matter what I do. And that includes clearing all my cookies.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-13-2021, 08:45 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile, is anyone having problems logging in/staying logged in to the wiki?  For the last half-hour or so I've been experiencing a problem where I'm getting logged out as I open a page for edit or save it after editing -- and it won't keep me logged in no matter what I do.  And that includes clearing all my cookies.

I have a login issue with AWB if I haven't made an edit with it in an hour, it forces me to do an edit twice.
No login issues here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's been going on all morning for me, although it comes and goes. There'll be a period in which I can do nothing because every time I try, I get logged out. And then things'll work fine for a half hour or so.

And when I can't log in for longer than a few seconds at a time, sometimes logging in will get me a page entitled "Central user log in" with a message in red saying "No active login attempt is in progress for your session". And eventually a repeated attempt to log in will give up on showing me the page I was on and dump me at the main page for the wiki.
-- Bob

And since then, it's been fine, no problems. <sigh>
-- Bob

Would like permission on something, or someone else can do this if they prefer if they have bureaucrat powers:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:ManageWiki/core

I noticed our wiki is Uncategorized, but it might be best if we categorized it as something relevant, like "Literature/Writing", since the topic of tropes is subset of writing.

Also, there is a setting for Moderation to enable previewing the edits for formatting that is currently not enabled. Since formatting is as important to our manual of style as the content submitted, we may wish to enable this.
I thought we'd already categorized the wiki... No, that was me categorizing the freebie wiki. We should categorize ATT. Entertainment? Fandom? Literature/Writing? A case could be made for any of them -- but we can only pick one.

While we're categorizing the wiki, we should add a short description at the same time. "People, Projects, and Patterns in Entertainment" (which somebody added to ATT's page on WikiApiary) is as good a description as any, IMHO.

As for Moderation, yes, we should activate the preview feature.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I apparently do not have rights to change this. But yes, we need to. As for categorization, I would say with our goal to be a writer's resource, Literature/Writing is the best choice. And I like that description -- use it.

And yes, we need the preview for Moderation.
-- Bob

(09-13-2021, 08:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I apparently do not have rights to change this.

You should have the rights to change this. All Bureaucrats are supposed to be able to update that page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-13-2021, 07:54 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Would like permission on something, or someone else can do this if they prefer if they have bureaucrat powers:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:ManageWiki/core

I noticed our wiki is Uncategorized, but it might be best if we categorized it as something relevant, like "Literature/Writing", since the topic of tropes is subset of writing.

Also, there is a setting for Moderation to enable previewing the edits for formatting that is currently not enabled. Since formatting is as important to our manual of style as the content submitted, we may wish to enable this.

I figured the lack of preview features was just a lack of the software extension to do it, not that we could have an actual visual representation of the page and we just haven't used it.

What categories are there?