Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
A simple request to all admins:

When you copy a template from Wikipedia, COPY THE DOC PAGE ALONG WITH IT!!!

I am getting sick and tired of not having the docs on the wiki. The lack of documentation makes troubleshooting difficult if not impossible.

Now... Where the Hell is the documentation for Template:Infobox? I grow tired of waiting for Geth to fix the title-alignment and image-alignment problems that he imported with the new version of the template.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The problem was in the new version of Module:Infobox that Geth uploaded without asking anybody beforehand. I've reverted that module to the previous version that we had - the version that actually formats text properly, even if it does have some undesired behaviour.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-18-2021, 06:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: The problem was in the new version of Module:Infobox that Geth uploaded without asking anybody beforehand. I've reverted that module to the previous version that we had - the version that actually formats text properly, even if it does have some undesired behaviour.

My apologies, I was trying to fix some missing Lua Module errors due to some missing blanks in the ones we imported leaving red error messages everywhere, and they used a newer Infobox Module that came along for the ride. I'll try to be more selective and just pick up the missing Modules/Template pages only in the future.

Also Rob, I looked into your problem with the new Module, and it's not that hard to fix. Look for the lines that have ".css" in them, just change the "left-align" to "center" for the section that controls image alignment, that should fix the issue.
User wants to delete a non-specified "post" for false/contradicting information.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...ug4rrzrqp5

I've asked for more information.
Hi. Me again. Apologies for the abrupt absence, but I've caught up with goings-on since then (that I can tell, anyway). Previous events had dampened my editing spirits even more than I'd initially thought, but I think I'm willing to take a swing at regular activity again.
(09-20-2021, 01:58 PM)Umbire Wrote: Hi. Me again. Apologies for the abrupt absence, but I've caught up with goings-on since then (that I can tell, anyway). Previous events had dampened my editing spirits even more than I'd initially thought, but I think I'm willing to take a swing at regular activity again.

Always good to see you. Still a lot to do, as always.
(09-20-2021, 01:58 PM)Umbire Wrote: Hi. Me again. Apologies for the abrupt absence, but I've caught up with goings-on since then (that I can tell, anyway). Previous events had dampened my editing spirits even more than I'd initially thought, but I think I'm willing to take a swing at regular activity again.

Hello, Me again! Smile

Take it as quickly or as slowly as you want to begin with - troping should be fun, not a chore.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Welcome back, Umbire, and don't stress about it. Like Rob said, it should be fun.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I am in the right to move stuff from franchise pages to respective subpages of works, right? It makes me then have to ask a stupid obvious question, what do we put in Franchise subpages like Awesome, etc?
You are, yes. The stuff that goes into franchise subpages is the same as the stuff that goes into franchise main pages - items that are common to some or all of the franchise's works.

This might mean that some franchise subpages don't get entries.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does the "Lumper vs. Splitter" page on ATT need an image?

[Image: lumpers_and_splitters.png]

(We probably don't need the mouseover text on ATT, though. "Anna Karenina is a happy family lumper and unhappy family splitter.")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It could use one, so why not?

Meanwhile, I'm looking to see if we have a couple possible tropes. I've searched for what seem like the most likely names along with a number of variants, with no luck, so I'm raising the question here.

The first is "Exotic Clientele". An otherwise normal establishment has a weird customer base, often for no apparent reason. Callahan's Bar was this in the first dozen stories or so until the metaplot showed up. Dr. Tofu's clinic in Jack Staik and Lady Tesser's "Tales of Ranma and Ranko" has a "night shift" when he gets patients like tentacle monsters, talking dogs, succubi, vampire potatoes and Wakko Warner.

The other is "Worthy Successor", in which a character acknowledged to be exceptional in their field dubs another as their successor, to receive all their tools and references, to continue their work when they move on or die. The evaluation of the successor often includes some sort of secret test of character, and sometimes a willingness to set themselves up as a competitor to the original character.

Do any of these sound familiar, or do I have to start drafting up some new trope candidates?

Thanks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It appears that we call "Worthy Successor" Passing the Torch, although we leave out the secret test of character.

As for "Exotic Clientele", I don't see that one, either. Another example for it is the tavern "Biers" in Discworld (description lifted from the Discworld tropelist: "the bar for the differently-alive including vampires, zombies, werewolves, bogie-men, ghouls and various others too weird to fit in anywhere else. Also Mrs Gammage: nearly blind old woman who no-one has the heart to tell her the bar is no longer the Crown and Axe." The entry appears to have been shoehorned into "Bad Guy Bar" because we don't have "Exotic Clientele" yet.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Teacher's Pet". A nice, real-world phrase with a well-known, well-defined meaning, which even TV Tropes realized makes it good for a trope name.

Trouble is, it having a well-known, well-defined meaning also makes it good as a work title, and there's around a half-dozen works with that title listed on the "not to be confused with" line of the trope description.

How do we handle the disambiguation page? Use "Teacher's Pet" and "Teacher's Pet (disambiguation)", or "Teacher's Pet" and "Teacher's Pet (trope)", or something else? Or do we simply go without a disambig page in this case?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have, as a last resort for a couple cases, gone for appending "(trope)" to the relevant page's name. I don't like doing that, but it's sometimes been necessary.
-- Bob

Quote:It appears that we call "Worthy Successor" Passing the Torch

And thanks, that's what I was looking for.
-- Bob

(09-22-2021, 01:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We have, as a last resort for a couple cases, gone for appending "(trope)" to the relevant page's name.  I don't like doing that, but it's sometimes been necessary.

Disambig page for TP and then appending trope seems to be the solution here. WP has a multitude of creative works with the title on it's equivalent, and therefore on the aforementioned necessary list.
I had to create a category in order to give it to a new trope. It could use more entries.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hrm. Thirty Gambit Pileup can qualify where you have examples of multiple pranking plots colliding in ways unexpected to the characters. Not sure of any examples out there, but I know I've seen it a time or two.

Gone Horribly Wrong and Gone Horribly Right can also apply to pranks.
Okay, I've been doing a lot of cleanup of ]All The Tropes:Frequent Redlinks. Anybody want to swoop in and do the last couple (the ones with their last-checked dates highlighted in yellow) and be the hero?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-23-2021, 06:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, I've been doing a lot of cleanup of ]All The Tropes:Frequent Redlinks. Anybody want to swoop in and do the last couple (the ones with their last-checked dates highlighted in yellow) and be the hero?

NPCs is already a redirect, not a redlink, so whether that counts as a cleanup is yours to judge.
(09-21-2021, 08:12 PM)robkelk Wrote: You are, yes. The stuff that goes into franchise subpages is the same as the stuff that goes into franchise main pages - items that are common to some or all of the franchise's works.

I forgot to realise the followup:

How do character pages fit into this, do I leave them in the franchise and copy to the subpage, or move like the others? Especially if the franchise sections their introduction by entry into franchise.
(09-23-2021, 08:21 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 06:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, I've been doing a lot of cleanup of ]All The Tropes:Frequent Redlinks. Anybody want to swoop in and do the last couple (the ones with their last-checked dates highlighted in yellow) and be the hero?

NPCs is already a redirect, not a redlink, so whether that counts as a cleanup is yours to judge.

Somebody needs to go into each page and point the abbreviation at the correct page - "Nintendo Puzzle Collection" or "Non-Player Character". It won't be cleaned up until it's been disambiguated. Once that's done, we can delete the redirect.

EDIT: This is why our Style Guide says "In general, do not abbreviate"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-23-2021, 09:42 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 08:12 PM)robkelk Wrote: You are, yes. The stuff that goes into franchise subpages is the same as the stuff that goes into franchise main pages - items that are common to some or all of the franchise's works.

I forgot to realise the followup:

How do character pages fit into this, do I leave them in the franchise and copy to the subpage, or move like the others? Especially if the franchise sections their introduction by entry into franchise.

"items that are common to some or all of the franchise's works" includes characters, so it's the same rule.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
TFW I got cucked creating the work page by rob. Had a whole paragraph and everything.