Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix's Cowboy Bebop releases photos
RE: Netflix's Cowboy Bebop releases photos
I just watched it.

I ..... didn't hate it. Made for decent late evening viewing with some alcoholic company. The only thing I didn't like was how clean it looked - like mid-90's TV - but so it goes.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
And they've finally released a "here's Ed" video with Eden Perkins:

-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And... Cancelled.
Is that like, social media squawk echo chamber cancelled, or production schedule cancelled?
--
‎noli esse culus
Netflix cancelled it. I'm sad.
Huh., I was never the biggest fan, but it was looking like it at least had the potential to be cool. Well, bother.
--
‎noli esse culus
(12-09-2021, 09:08 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Huh., I was never the biggest fan, but it was looking like it at least had the potential to be cool. Well, bother.

I'll quote a few entries at Rotten Tomatoes, giving the same proportion of rotten and fresh reviews that the top critics did as of this posting.

"While it isn't nearly as bad as Netflix's "Death Note" adaptation, "Cowboy Bebop" just doesn't swing." - James Hadfield, Japan Times

"If you're a huge fan of the anime...you'll probably say "See You Space Cowboy" to the live action and rewatch the anime for the nth time." - Terry Mesnard, Gayly Dreadful

"Somehow, the producers have managed to make a show that appears to have provoked skepticism among the original's devotees without effectively inviting newcomers into the party." - Brian Lowry, CNN.com

"In its resolute ordinariness, the main value of this new "Bebop" would be to drive you back to watch the old one." - Mike Hale, New York Times

"Likely one of those instances where viewers less familiar with the source material will enjoy it far more than Bebop devotees." - Jeffrey Lyles, Lyles' Movie Files

"The original Bebop is improvisational and a little bit abstract. It has movement and flow and it feels alive. This Netflix adaptation is like a robot playing jazz. All the notes are there, more or less, but they're not played with feeling." - Sherin Nicole, Geek Girl Riot

Yes, some of these are listed as being from positive reviews. That makes me wonder what they considered to be "fresh".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
While I did watch the whole series and movie, my biggest impressions from the original were that AMV that crossed it with Trigun, the idea of the space fighters with modular cockpit pods, and Ed's hijinks, most notably flying around a drone model of the ship at one point followed by hacking the actual ship and flying it around later. I'm probably one of those people "less familiar with the source material" that are being talked about up there.
--
‎noli esse culus
Quote:"Likely one of those instances where viewers less familiar with the source material will enjoy it far more than Bebop devotees." - Jeffrey Lyles, Lyles' Movie Files

Not gonna lie, the blackmail line and "welcome to the ouch" are sure to stress-test that assertion.
Yeah the blackmail line was pretty good
Opposite of what I was saying!