Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3
RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3
Okay, I think I'm done editing the displacee infobox. Age is now automatically calculated by looking at the years...

Okay, I'm almost done editing the displacee infobox, once I remember to calculate the days, too. But the interface is fixed. Canon/noncanon is shown as data of the birth date field, birthday is hidden by default, and age looked better on its own line so that's where it went.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I believe I can make the story list on each character's page automatic now. I just need a page category on each cast page with a sortkey on date. Which will be a lot faster than what I was doing manually.
I was meaning to ask if that were possible. Glad to hear it is.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've never seen "400" as an error code before... but I'm getting it whenever I try to load any page on the wiki.

Maybe they don't like it when I create so many redirects at once. But how else am I supposed to clean up the Wanted Pages list after somebody imported a handful of templates without bringing along the documentation? I have to get rid of those redlinks somehow in order to return the list to a usable state.

Phabricator task created
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Wiki came back. And went away again. And came back again.

I've modified the Phabricator ticket to say the issue is intermittent.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ever since I saw the infoboxes on the Utena wiki, I’ve been tempted to add “rose color” to our wiki. Even if we only have a few people who can use it. Like Mamoru and Satsuki Hanabusa.
That's... not a bad idea. Gomez and Morticia should probably both have black.

Rob, dunno if you've seen it yet, but they've closed the Phab ticket suggesting that it's probably local to you and that you should clear your cookies for Miraheze.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-22-2023, 08:00 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Rob, dunno if you've seen it yet, but they've closed the Phab ticket suggesting that it's probably local to you and that you should clear your cookies for Miraheze.

I hadn't seen that yet, thanks.

(And clearing my cookies? I'm a mod on three different wikis - clearing my cookies would involve quite a lot of work.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If you're only seeing it on the ManaChara wiki and not the others (and I haven't seen anything like it, I might add) I think you'd be justified in going back and saying "not local to me!"
-- Bob

(05-21-2023, 09:03 PM)Labster Wrote: Ever since I saw the infoboxes on the Utena wiki, I’ve been tempted to add “rose color” to our wiki. Even if we only have a few people who can use it. Like Mamoru and Satsuki Hanabusa.

Hmmmmm... It might be worthwhile adding Memetic Outfit, Limited Wardrobe or something similar. We have plenty of characters who tend to wear the same outfit most or all of the time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-22-2023, 03:00 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-21-2023, 09:03 PM)Labster Wrote: Ever since I saw the infoboxes on the Utena wiki, I’ve been tempted to add “rose color” to our wiki. Even if we only have a few people who can use it. Like Mamoru and Satsuki Hanabusa.

Hmmmmm... It might be worthwhile adding Memetic Outfit, Limited Wardrobe or something similar. We have plenty of characters who tend to wear the same outfit most or all of the time.

... I don't have any characters who do that.  Aria House has a strict "no fashion victims" policy.

Okay, except Squid Girl's dress, which makes her look like a squid.  Which she is.  Sanae has made more clothes for Squiddy, but her fashion sense is more, uh, fanservice than Tomoyo's.
I think the closest my residents have to memetic or limited outfits are the students with their school uniforms... which don't apply once they get into the local school system.
-- Bob

With the launch of the free WikiTide service from former (and I do mean former) Miraheze admins, we now have the option of moving our wiki over there.  In the past, it's associated company WikiForge was going to incorporate in the UK, but now they are looking towards doing so in the United States.  And WikiTide as well.  While not quite as good at fair dealing as in Canada, at least in the United States our fanfic is plausibly transformative fair use, and not completely illegal to publish as in the United Kingdom.

So we can have a public wiki, which means we can publish there (including footnotes!).  Shall we move over to WikiTide?
Do they have a URL?

EDIT: Not that we're likely to forget, but I've added this to the list of stuff to talk about
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah right, URL: https://meta.wikitide.com/wiki/WikiTide
I just created a new character attribute template -- Mecha Pilot. I've got all the obvious candidates. Is there anyone I missed from something I'm unfamiliar with? And I can't recall enough about Nadia to remember if Grandis's vehicle thing was more tanklike or mechalike...
-- Bob

The Grattan was more tank-like than mecha-like.

In-universe, Ruiko's getting a mecha for Christmas 2016. (She had used a loading mech in combat once in canon.) I've added her to the list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cool. I kinda remembered the Grattan as being round and wheeled, so I was pretty sure it didn't qualify, but I don't trust my older memories to not deceive me. <grin>
-- Bob

(07-10-2023, 12:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Cool.  I kinda remembered the Grattan as being round and wheeled, so I was pretty sure it didn't qualify, but I don't trust my older memories to not deceive me.  <grin>

It's literally Grandis + Tank -> グラタン Gratan. It is wheeled and not tracked, nor footed like in Wells' The Land Ironclads.  But it's also amphibious and has a lighter-than-air flight mode... somehow.  I assume it's using hydrogen.  I would have said it was using titanium picked up on the Nautilus, but it shows balloon flight in episode one.

Actually Grandis herself calls it Catherine, while Hanson names it after his boss.  So I'm going to say that as the designer, he has built a Gratan-class tank, of which the one example is named Catherine by its owner.  I'm not sure this distinction will matter to anyone but Skuld, except perhaps the Sensha-do authorities.
As long as I was adding map markers to Wikivoyage's map of grand old hotels -- their map was almost completely missing all of the hotels in the USA -- I figured I'd add the hotels in Chicago to our map for Ben Rose House.

Five hotels, all close enough to the eastern terminus of Route 66 to overlap on our map, all probably expensive. (But they're the only hotels marked on our map so far.)

Next up: mark the Los Angeles Biltmore on both the Wikivoyage and Aria House maps. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just put a page for Aleister on the wiki.  While writing, I spent an hour or so reading the Toaru wiki, and honestly at the end of it I came out even more confused than before I started.  Seriously, that wiki is very comprehensive; I think it has to be comprehensive so that the people writing it can figure out what the hell is going on in the anime/LNs.

So the motivation for the whole thing is that his infant daughter died... in the 1800s... while he was out mountain climbing.... because of maybe the pollution byproduct of some magical experiment gave her a bad fate?  And because of this, rather than raise his future children, he has a vendetta against all of magic and wants to restructure the universe.  And because it was bad his daughter died from magic, it was somehow okay to kill 10 kilomisakas for science?  The IRL events make 10 kilotimes more sense here; after the daughter died of typhoid, the mother became an alcoholic to the point of alcohol dementia, and Aleister went on see the occult parts of a lot more women.

That's just main villain motivation, putting aside setting things like magic being mainly represented by the Roman Orthodox Church, while there are also magic gods, plural.  I know I complained about Aria, where setting things on Mars leads to a lot of weird assumptions.  But its core story is all real: gondoliers have apprenticeships.  Venezia is pretty.  Female gondoliers was a "ripped from the headlines" thing at the time of writing the manga.

This is why I like Salem as a villain so much.  Her backstory: unlucky in life, then finally gets free, then becomes unlucky again.  Gods play with her, expect her to accept fate, she says: NO U.  And while she remains cursed, partially of her own choosing, she still managed to Sheridan the Brother Gods out of her galaxy.

I'm now not sure what I want more: the original plan of kill Aleister fast so we don't have to deal with that particular tangle of story, or to actually try to fix it and make a solid recurring villain.  IRL people saw him as a villain; William Butler Yeats certainly thought so.  There are some theories out there that the "rough beast" "slouching toward Jerusalem" referred to Crowley.
Just a resource, since our wiki lists height of characters: Female and Male stature by age with percentile lines.  Of course I decided to crossreference this with Japanese Wikipedia, which only has a graph of average height by age -- notably these averages are essentially the same for boys up to age 15 and girls up to age 12, beyond which Japanese nationals' height drops below Americans.  The percentile graphs are more useful, because you can tell what is tall, short, or just unlikely for a particular age.
Hey, Rob? There's something odd about the code behind "Data-Mining the Wiki/Other residences and Characters without residences" -- we've got people who don't belong showing up in some residences, and other residences are missing characters.

EDIT: Okay, I've finished tagging characters with the new template. I'm sure I missed someone, though -- please feel free to check it out and add anyone who needs it.
-- Bob

New wiki page, based on what took up most of yesterday's writers' chat: Villains

<hint> Still needs a lot of work </hint>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-07-2023, 07:43 AM)robkelk Wrote: <hint> Still needs a lot of work </hint>

Put some in. Good thing I know enough about RWBY to know or guess confidently at its villains' motives.
-- Bob