Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3
RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3
New map marker: government building

.png   Map-marker-government.png (Size: 12.82 KB / Downloads: 220)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I think I've pushed my luck as far as it's going to go, what with the software upgrade taking place as I type this. I managed to get the "Characters needing Canon Description" list down below 200 pages, so the list now fits on a single wiki page.

Until we create more character pages, of course. Which we're going to have to after naming all those tutelaries.

So... The Tenchi Muyo! characters now all have canon writeups (Sasami's is huge), as do the Gunslinger Girl characters and most of the Evangelion characters. I suspect the writerup for Shinji, Rei, and Auska are going to take a while to put together, just because their pages on Evageeks are so big. And then there's the writeups for the EVAs...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New character-attribute category: Category:Pilot. Aircraft or aerospace, but doesn't apply to people who simply stand there and give orders (such as Ryoko or Aeka). I keep remembering characters to add to the list, it it's no doubt incomplete.

(We now have Pilot, Mecha Pilot, and Biker for "knows how to operate a vehicle" groups. Next up will be "boater"...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wouldn't that be for people who wear straw hats? <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Only if we're bringing in One Piece. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, wouldn't that be fun... the first time one of those pirate ships runs into a modern sailing vessel...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
More seriously, our wiki has run into the same problem that ATT has been having regarding images from wikimedia Commons.

OTOH, the Boater category exists now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Since it came up in the writers' chat last week: "The Gaps in the Maps", not by Dr. Seuss.

I think I've identified all of the obvious gaps in our maps of known residences. Filling them is a low-priority task, and at this point can probably wait until we need them filled for story purposes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay...

Last month, we had a short period where images from Commons weren't loading. As I post this, images aren't loading unless they're from Commons. This just started a few minutes ago.

I'll give it a couple of hours before entering a Phabricator ticket, just in case this is unannounced maintenance.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-18-2023, 09:29 AM)robkelk Wrote: Last month, we had a short period where images from Commons weren't loading. As I post this, images aren't loading unless they're from Commons. This just started a few minutes ago.

I'll give it a couple of hours before entering a Phabricator ticket, just in case this is unannounced maintenance.

This appears to be wiki-wide - it's also affecting ATT, Meta, and the freebie wiki now. Phabricator ticket T11432 filed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One of the perils of using a Real Life person as the basis for a character is that we can't just make stuff up abut that character.

For example, the manager of the Windsor residence:

{{Infobox Displacee
| title = Norgarth
| subtitle =
| image =
| caption =
| Other Names =
| Residence = [[Club Lofts]]
| Origin = Real Life
| Refuge Arrival Date = {{Date table sorting|2016|September|7}}
| Refuge Birth Date = <!-- {{Date table sorting|YEAR|MONTH|DAY}} -->
| Birthday =
| Birthday is canon =
| Age =
| Gender = Male
| Height =
| Hair Color =
| Eye Color =
| Blood Type =
| Actor = Norgarth
| Stories =
| Native = yes
}}

Norgarth, how much of what's still blank do you feel comfortable with other people knowing? Please tell us what you're willing to share with us, and leave the rest blank.

("Birthday is canon" is a yes/no flag. I assume you know your own birthday; if you choose to tell us a date that doesn't match what's on your health card, then mark that field as "no".)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, by the way, folks... I added a new tenant to Residence 51. Let me know what you think.
-- Bob

let's see,
first name is Tim (Norgarth was my PC in a long running TTRPG campaign)
Birthday is Aug 24th, 1974 (canon) so age would be in my 40s (I forget exactly which year this series starts in)
Hair is dark brown (with some silver showing up), eyes are blue
height is roughly 6ft, blood type? umm, O Positive, had to look it up, been a while since I needed to think about it
Thanks, Norgarth.

And I see a Monty Python reference: "Some call him... Tim."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-16-2023, 09:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: Thanks, Norgarth.

And I see a Monty Python reference: "Some call him... Tim."

yeah, I've used 'Enchanter Tim' and 'Tim the Enchanter' on boards before.   One year, me and some friends were at GenCon in costume (well, multiple sets of costumes), one set was Arthur, Bedivere, and me as Tim.
oh, a few details that may or may not be relevant,
1) I wear glasses. (fairly strong perscription too)
2) I'm a bookworm, I often have a book nearby (generally SF/fantasy) and my To-be-read pile is usually around 20 books ;p
3) I had a pet cat (named Freya)
New character-type template: {{no fourth wall}}

Yes, we have more than one character who's aware of the audience.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've added a few more character pages to the wiki today -- mostly stubs, but the page for Residence 51's tutelary is pretty well fleshed out.

And a quote from one of the other pages, under "Relationships":
Quote:Somebody has to serve as his driver — probably somebody who never watched Knight Rider and thinks it's "cool" to have a talking car with the voice of Optimus Prime.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sometimes, issues can be identified by looking at unusual data. From the wiki's category list, stories by writer:
Quote:Stories by DartzIRL (3 pages)
Stories by InquisitiveRaven (2 pages)
Stories by Kestrel (1 pages)
Stories by Labster (19 pages)
Stories by Looney Toons (14 pages)
Stories by Rajvik (3 pages)
Stories by robkelk (70 pages)
Stories by Seraviel (2 pages)

One writer's contributed to (or solo-written) more stories than all of the other writers combined. This is not good for a shared setting.

Fixing this means me helping others write stories in the setting. At the least, doing more stories as a group will help.

(Somehow, I doubt we're going to get Kestrel, Rajvic, or Seraviel to write more stories here. Rajvic, feel free to prove me wrong.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Housekeeping note.

The person whose asked to have his core plotline be completely removed from the story and his name removed from the credits (which means the rest of his writing contributions needed to be removed as well because we are not going to publish uncredited writing in this project), which required the retcon in the first place, has not posted to the forums since June 9, 2022.

We assume after nineteen months of inactivity that he no longer has any interest in this project. After discussion with Bob and Labster, I have removed that person's wiki access.

Which, combined with the removal of all but one scene and a few casual references to his character that are still present on the wiki, means we can now pay more attention to the actual retcon. (First up: replace that scene and those casual references.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, something I forgot to ask at the meeting last night -- with WikiTide now having taken over Miraheze's operations, how long will it be before we have the option to make the project wiki public instead of private?
-- Bob

Likely some time around four or five weeks from now. It depends on how fast migration works, and when we get delivery of all of our servers (we have 2 of 4 so far). And the fragility of the old system, where deleting a single wiki was giving us all unacceptable load for half a day.

We’ll definitely want a changed url if we do go public.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(01-12-2024, 05:28 AM)Labster Wrote: We’ll definitely want a changed url if we do go public.

Is "KanriKyara" or some variant thereof a good name? "My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character" is way too long to start a URL off with.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm okay with "KanriKyara" (even if I tend to use "ManaChara" because for some reason I remember that variation better).
-- Bob

Well, "ManaChara" is one letter shorter than "KanriKyara". It might make a difference someday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown