Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3
RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3
Of course I could also pull out wiki.moonprismpower.makeup
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
We can talk about that at the next writers' chat.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
We've had a list of good cooks for a while.

In the interest of balance and equal time (it is an election year in the USA, after all), we now have a list of bad cooks. Apparently we have character sheets for a half-dozen characters listed at ATT:Lethal Chef.

(For those playing at home: Akane Tendo, Anthy Himemiya, Misato Katsuragi, Rosetta Passel, Ryoko Hakubi, and Sousuke Sagara. Oh, and of course our sample character Mary Sue, who can do anything, is both a good cook and a bad cook. Doublethink in action, folks! Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Mary Sue has another new skill set.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well, due to some fast pipes and some excitement over the weekend, the wiki is now hosted in the good old U S of A. The land of the free, and the home of the Whopper.

We should consider how, if, and when to make the wiki public. Stories have footnotes over there, among other things like the character profile pages. I'm not particularly worried about spoiling my own work via the character pages, but I really don't want my half-assed drafts public. Also, the URL.
Can't we set something up so we can tag certain pages in such a way that we can restrict them to an "authors" group?

And yeah, we need to do something about the URL. I wouldn't think that should be too hard.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-29-2024, 11:17 PM)Labster Wrote: ... Also, the URL.

(01-12-2024, 03:57 PM)Labster Wrote: Of course I could also pull out wiki.moonprismpower.makeup

Just quotin'
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-30-2024, 09:30 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 11:17 PM)Labster Wrote: ... Also, the URL.

(01-12-2024, 03:57 PM)Labster Wrote: Of course I could also pull out wiki.moonprismpower.makeup

Just quotin'

-- Bob

Mary Sue has yet another profession
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can nothing slow that woman down?
-- Bob

I guess a benefit of having experienced wikizens being the only contributors to the wiki is that basically everything is categorized.  In fact, the only thing not categorized as a story, a cast list, a place, a character, or working notes are these three pages in Main: Main Page, Index Page, Read This Page First.  There's very little in the project namespace as well.

I decided that Sources don't get the working notes template, so that they're outside this category (but still a subcategory) -- they're honestly mainly things copied from other wikis which, while they are notes, don't really need to be considered with the non-public notes of settings and organizations.

I made a list of the where I think we should organize private notes when making the rest of the site public.  Of some 90 pages in the main namespace that aren't characters, places, or published stories, about 1/3 should stay hidden as private working notes, another third should stay public, and the remaining third are unpublished story drafts.  Honestly "Notes:" and "Draft:" seem like very natural divisions.  I was thinking about adding a "Private:" namespace, but I couldn't find anything to put in there.
I have no problem with putting story drafts into a Draft namespace. (IIRC, that's what I wanted to do originally.)

We have the option of writing our own stuff for Sources (and we have to, in the case of Hard Press), but, yeah, that subcategory is primarily a one-stop shop for high-level data about canon.

I agree with what's on your list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just looked over the list. As I recall, I was suggesting a Draft namespace last Wednesday, too, so of course I'm okay with that. Everything else looks good, too. Thanks for all the work you've put in over the last few days, Brent.
-- Bob

Before I make the request, I think this is what we finally want for our blacklist filter:

$wgWhitelistReadRegexp = [ "#(?!(?:Draft(?:_talk)?:|Notes(?:_talk)?:|User(?:_talk)?:[^/]+/sandbox/))^#" ];

Reminders: "#" is an unusual delimiter so I don't have to escape slashes.  (?:) just means to not generate a capture on matching, making it slightly faster than ().  The whole thing is in a negative lookahead to turn a whitelist into a blacklist. It passes all of my test cases:

ok 1 - Allow Foo
ok 2 - Allow Bar
ok 3 - Allow Foo:Bar
ok 4 - Allow Special:RecentChanges
ok 5 - Allow Drafting
ok 6 - Block Draft:Foo
ok 7 - Block Draft_talk:Foo/bar
ok 8 - Block Notes:Hi
ok 9 - Allow Notes
ok 10 - Block Notes_talk:Another page
ok 11 - Block User:Labster/sandbox/Foo
ok 12 - Block User:Labster/sandbox/Foo/Bar/Baz
ok 13 - Allow User:Labster/sandbox
ok 14 - Allow User_talk:Labster
ok 15 - Block User_talk:Labster/sandbox/100:Story
ok 16 - Allow User:Labster/Draft:Foo
ok 17 - Allow User:Labster/foo/bar/sandbox/End
ok 18 - Allow Foo\nDraft:Bar

Also, everything is done on moving pages, except for a few rows marked on the page. We're very nearly ready.
We have another new character attribute template/category. Feel free to tag anyone who needs it, because I surely don't know everyone who does.
-- Bob

(02-10-2024, 05:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We have another new character attribute template/category.  Feel free to tag anyone who needs it, because I surely don't know everyone who does.

I know of a high-school student displacee who canonically wants to become a lawyer - should she be added?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I almost want to add Ally McBeal to our setting so we can whole-plot reference that Futurama episode.
(02-10-2024, 05:24 PM)robkelk Wrote: I know of a high-school student displacee who canonically wants to become a lawyer - should she be added?

Sure, why not?
-- Bob

IMPORTANT

The wiki's URL has changed. Please update your bookmarks/favorites.

The new URL for the Main Page is https://kanrikyara.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
ALSO IMPORTANT

If you have an account on the wiki, you might be logged out of just this wiki without being able to login again. The fix that I got to work was to logout of another Miraheze wiki (in my case, ATT), wait until that propagated, and login again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-07-2024, 05:01 PM)Labster Wrote: Before I make the request, I think this is what we finally want for our blacklist filter:

$wgWhitelistReadRegexp = [ "#(?!(?Big Grinraft(?:_talk)?:|Notes(?:_talk)?:|User(?:_talk)?:[^/]+/sandbox/))^#" ];

Reminders: "#" is an unusual delimiter so I don't have to escape slashes.  (?Smile just means to not generate a capture on matching, making it slightly faster than ().  The whole thing is in a negative lookahead to turn a whitelist into a blacklist.  It passes all of my test cases:

ok 1 - Allow Foo
ok 2 - Allow Bar
ok 3 - Allow Foo:Bar
ok 4 - Allow Special:RecentChanges
ok 5 - Allow Drafting
ok 6 - Block Draft:Foo
ok 7 - Block Draft_talk:Foo/bar
ok 8 - Block Notes:Hi
ok 9 - Allow Notes
ok 10 - Block Notes_talk:Another page
ok 11 - Block User:Labster/sandbox/Foo
ok 12 - Block User:Labster/sandbox/Foo/Bar/Baz
ok 13 - Allow User:Labster/sandbox
ok 14 - Allow User_talk:Labster
ok 15 - Block User_talk:Labster/sandbox/100:Story
ok 16 - Allow User:Labster/Draft:Foo
ok 17 - Allow User:Labster/foo/bar/sandbox/End
ok 18 - Allow Foo\nDraft:Bar

Also, everything is done on moving pages, except for a few rows marked on the page.  We're very nearly ready.

We now have this for our blacklist file.

Which means we now have a semi-private wiki... which means we also have a semi-public wiki. There might still be some spoilers in the public side of the wiki, of course; find them before we hide them on the private side!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've updated our AO3 profile to point to the wiki. We'll have to watch the registrations in case we hammered by spambots.
-- Bob

I just discovered something we may want to find a fix for -- diffs on Recent Changes for restricted pages are not blocked for those without permission to view the pages in question.

Maybe we should block Recent Changes in its entirety?
-- Bob

Actually, they are blocked. Most of them. It looks like I goofed, I blocked "Draft_talk:" but not "Draft talk:", so I'll have to make a quick PR to fix that. Then it should block the talk pages correctly.

Unless you mean the entries on RecentChanges, which does include the change reason text. I'm not particularly worried about that. You can also seen the names of unpublished stories, you just can't see their content.
Yeah, those talk pages should be blocked now