Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plotbunnies, Pastebin, and Wishlist Thread #2
RE: Plotbunnies, Pastebin, and Wishlist Thread #2
(05-10-2023, 05:18 PM)Labster Wrote: I never saw Gargoyles outside of perhaps an episode or two. I was aging out of the “Disney Afternoon” demographic around the time it premiered.

I don’t get why you’d move a whole castle, anyway.

If you were, in fact, David Xanatos, you'd move it because the instructions that had guided so much of your career told you to move it.
(05-10-2023, 12:08 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Can't recall if this idea has popped up previously, but since some Displacees arrive with their own home, and getting blended into the local environment, perhaps Manhattan now has a Xanatos Enterprises tower (complete with scottish castle perched atop it).

You know, you could always contribute a story about this to the project yourself. None of us are all that familiar with the source material.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Moving the castle was actually a plot point. The Gargoyles had been cursed to remain stone "until the castle rose above the clouds". Sticking it atop a skyscraper did the trick. Xanatos had reason to believe that it would work (and having already met Demona, knew Gargoyles were real. In fact she's the one who told him about the curse). To the average person, it was just a multi-millionaire showing off.

I always liked it because it was more than just another cartoon. Events of past episodes affected later ones, (most of) the villains had motivations greater than just "I'm Evil", and they didn't feel the need to explain the moral of the story in 10ft tall billboards. They also had some interesting closed time loops in the later seasons.
I was going to post this is Crossovers that Should Not be, then realized that maybe it Should Be... in Refuge.

Donald in Mathmagic Land: A Disney Primer to Midchildan Spells
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
"What's the big deal about somebody having silver eyes? Everybody has silver eyes!"

Aria leaned closer to Lotte. "Sister, dear, have you forgotten about colors again?"

"Oh, yeah. But it's not like we can see them. We're cats!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
While updating the wiki page for Callahan's, I realized that we have Jake Stonebender and his custom guitar "Lady Macbeth" in Refuge.

I have no idea how folk and J-pop would mix, but I'm pretty sure Jake and Yui would get along like a house on fire. Maybe we need to mention another Douglass Gardens Sessions release.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sure, why not?

I should probably go through the wiki and see just how many guitarists we actually have among the displacees and write up some more jam sessions like the one we've already had between Yui, Azusa and Noodle...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I recall somebody suggesting showing a tabletop gaming session somewhere. If Derpy ever sits in on a gaming session, mine the comments on this page for her out-of-character comments. ("Knights who say Neigh"...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Miyuki opened her mail, read the first page of the document that was enclosed, and smiled the widest smile that she'd ever smiled. "I'm getting a scholarship to study medicine at one of the best medical schools anywhere! This is such a wonderful land!"

Despite the fact that she was happy for her roommate, Konata couldn't stop giggling.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something that should happen somewhere: Saber wondering why Rin is calling Usagi "the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just did some poking around on Google Maps, one thing lead to another, and I came to an... interesting... conclusion.

First, the background. In Azumanga Daioh, the girls went to Okinawa for their class trip. They spent most of their time in Naha (as shown by them making a personal visit to Shuri Castle, seeing Shureimon along the way). The main six characters spent their independent-study day on Iriomote Island (where they met a... mixed-breed... cat.)

Next, the messing about on Google Maps. First, Iriomote Island is much closer to Taiwan than it is to Okinawa Island. It takes 55 minutes to fly from Naha to Hateruma Island, plus a half-hour drive from the airport to the ferry, and a 50 minute ferry ride from Hateruma to Iriomote. That's a one-way trip. Second, Iriomote Island is the second-largest island in Okinawa Prefecture; it takes seven and a quarter hours to walk from the ferry landing to Mariudo Falls, and the same amount of time to walk back.

Now, the thinking. It's always dangerous, thinking. Let's assume that (1) pre-9/11 airport security and processes let them spend no more than a quarter-hour in each airport, (2) they make every connection with no wasted time, and (3) Chiyo-chan and Osaka don't slow them down during all that walking. The girls are looking at a minimum of twenty hours just in travel time.

The Doylist answer to this is simple: Writers Have No Sense Of Scale.

The Watsonian answer, though... Either:
  • this is not a day trip -- but the episode indicated that it was,
  • the Azumanga Daioh world has different transportation technology than ours -- but the episode showed real-world technology for Y2K including a wide-body jet,
  • the Azumanga Daioh world has different geography than ours, or
  • at least one of the Azumanga Daioh girls can teleport and nobody thinks that this is unusual.

We did confirm that Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga and Kyosuke Kasuga use the same characters to write their family name, and Kyosuke is confirmed to be a teleporter, so... teleporting schoolgirl, anyone?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"That's just Osaka, she's weird."
-- Bob

Okay I pulled out my manga here, and it makes sense to me. This seems like it's scheduled as part of the trip in some way; Kaorin mentions that her group is headed towards Miyako Island, which is also pretty distant from Okinawa Island. At least in the manga, it seems like it's a whole-day side trip. There's an inland ferry terminal near the falls, and one panel of the manga shows Sakaki and Maya on a boat right before the panel with the waterfall. Also I think it's more likely they would have flown to Ishigaki rather than Hateruma. Possibly even having a night in a hotel at Ishigaki. This all seems reasonable for some kids to do in a day.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Are we still adding Hogwarts to Refuge? Ika-musume wants to play squidditch.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-22-2023, 07:55 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Sure, why not?

I should probably go through the wiki and see just how many guitarists we actually have among the displacees and write up some more jam sessions like the one we've already had between Yui, Azusa and Noodle...

After all the work I did on character pages this weekend, I can now reliably say that we have nearly twenty guitarists: Mio, Yui, Ui, Azusa, Jun, Sachi, Akira, Sawako, Noodle, Murdoc, Buckaroo Banzai, Perfect Tommy, Pinky Carruthers, Johnny Bukowski, Eddie Wilson, Yuichi Kayama, Marty McFly, and Jake Stonebender.

Oh, and Mary Sue.

At the very least. We have a few people tagged as musicians whose specialty isn't noted in their character pages.

It's also surprising just how many of them are in New Jersey...
-- Bob

(02-12-2024, 10:13 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 07:55 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Sure, why not?

After all the work I did on character pages this weekend, I can now reliably say that we have nearly twenty guitarists: Mio, Yui, Ui, Azusa, Jun, Sachi, Akira, Sawako, Noodle, Murdoc, Buckaroo Banzai, Perfect Tommy, Pinky Carruthers, Johnny Bukowski, Eddie Wilson, Yuichi Kayama, Marty McFly, and Jake Stonebender.

Oh, and Mary Sue.

At the very least. We have a few people tagged as musicians whose specialty isn't noted in their character pages.

It's also surprising just how many of them are in New Jersey...

What, did I miss tagging Sora Hasegawa as a musician? ("This includes the light music club at her high school; Sora plays acoustic guitar.") Fixed.

EDIT: Oh, and I've updated Elwood Blues' page to say he plays harmonica.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just noticed this line in Wikipedia's writeup of Bakuon!!: "The newest member of the club, Chisame is a prodigy with racing motorcycles, but has a serious height complex due to her petite figure."

Put her in the same room as Sachi Hayashi... and then let Sakura offer to use The Change on them for a day.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just added this to Rin Todoriki's wiki page (which still needs some work):
Quote:When the opportunity presents itself, Rin will become a student of Soun Tendo ... not to learn his style of martial arts, but to learn how to teach martial arts to others.

Todoriki-san is already a better-than-average martial artist, she wants to be a teacher, and she's smart enough to eventually realize that the martial-arts teachers can teach teaching as well as teaching martial arts. The only question is whether Soun would teach teaching to a 13-year-old girl, no matter how good she is as a martial artist.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Eventually, Hokago Tea Time will visit Manhattan because Azusa wants to see a performance at the Apollo Theater. But first they have to get out of Penn Station...

Yui: "Why is it called Madison Square Garden? It's round, and it isn't a garden."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bob <brightly>: The original site was on Madison Square, which is about seven blocks south and two blocks east of here, and "garden" comes from a Latin word meaning "open space" or "arena", which the first one basically was.
-- Bob

One wonders whether Akari ever becomes melancholic when speaking with one of her building-mates. Taeko sounds so much like Ai-chan, after all...

EDIT: For that matter, so does Rosetta.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown