Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Douglass Gardens Sessions - take 2
The Douglass Gardens Sessions - take 2
Since the original thread is locked up in the attic, here's a new thread with a slightly different focus.

Considering that OnNaGumi's look leads me to think they're a punk or punk-rock band, I can imagine them playing a cover of "Tainted Love" that sounds a lot like this one by The Town Cryers:

Non-embedded link to the entire album on YouTube. (Note that the credits on YouTube are misleading - while the album was released on CD in 2017, it's copyright 1992.)

Speaking of that album (and, no, it isn't all covers)... "Yui, why are we playing a song about a children's board game?"

Non-embedded
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: The Douglass Gardens Sessions - take 2
We should probably retrieve the original thread from the Attic. As far as I recall, it had nothing really that was pre-retcon-exclusive in it.

That said, I like the idea of OnNaGumi doing "Tainted Love" punk style, especially since the version everyone remembers and covers was a genderflip of the original.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Just realized that Jake and Elwood Blues aren't on the Douglass Gardens Sessions list... yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh. Of course. Yes.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Just realized - move Ui from guitar to keyboard, and Wakaba Girls could play "Green Onions".

Or get Wakaba Girls, Hokago Tea Time, OnNaGumi, and Madoka Ayukawa together and play this double-length cover of "Green Onions". (Er... does it count as a cover of "Green Onions" when Booker T is playing?)

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
not so much a cover as a remix
The following is a transcript of an Easter Egg track found on Celestial Serenades, Belldandy's contribution to The Douglass Gardens Sessions.

Yui: "Come on, be a pal! You sister recorded an entire EP for us!"

Skuld: "Yui-san, I don't have time to record an entire album! And what makes you think I can sing well enough to be recorded?"

Ritsu: "You're a Valkyrie, right? And all Valkyries are opera singers. I've heard of the Ring Cycle."

Skuld: "That's a stereotype!"

Akira: "But is it true?"

Skuld: <sigh> "Yes."

Yui: "Come on, just one song? Please?"

Skuld: "I'm not supposed to grant wishes just like that. You have to call the Goddess Help Line and get through before we can grant a wish."

Yui: "Oh. Could you do it as a favor?

Skuld: "I suppose. But only a cappella." <clears throat>

Nao: "We're rolling. Skuld's bonus track, take one."

Skuld:
"Return, my love,
a longing burns deep inside me.
Return my love!
I want you always beside me.
Love like ours must be
Made for you and for me.
Return, won't you return my love
For my looooove is yours!"

<applause>

Nao: "That's great, Skuld! I think the first take is good. Who do we credit it to?"

Bob: "According to the source, it was written by Michael Maltese."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I'd do that.
-- Bob

I'm adding to Makoto's set list. She's going to end up doing a full-length album at this rate... Smile

"Waiting for the Thunder", by Blackberry Smoke, written by Charlie Starr, from the album Like an Arrow, copyright © 2016 by 3 Legged Records. This rendition by Daryl Hall and Charlie Starr copyright © 2023.

EDIT: Speaking of Makoto's album, it's the only one without her name on the dust jacket... just in case it's still a secret in 2018. (Original artwork of Sailor Jupiter by "hai (pixiv26156235)", downloaded from Danbooru.) The font is Agbalumo.

RE-EDIT: Usagi and Chibiusa have never listened to this album. They're (canonically) afraid of thunder... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd suggest this for a Douglass Gardens Sessions cover, but (a) Pink Floyd would want royalties, and (b) there's somebody in the image who we don't -- yet -- have in Refuge.

[Image: __koiwai_yotsuba_and_mihama_chiyo_azuman...8e4867.jpg]

larger version here
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown