Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
Come to that, we can just mark every one of their accounts as a spammer if they get too bad, and let the contributions go directly to the bitbucket.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-02-2023, 03:17 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 02:00 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, we seem to have one of those users again.  MarieLover aka MarieLoving aka MarieSweet is apparently not a native speaker of English and understands enough to submit subterranean-quality pages and edits, but not enough to understand simple instructions.  Further, he/she appears to be doing that thing we've seen in the past where they create a new user account for practically every edit.  After being warned not to.  I've just threatened a multiban if they create another account just to submit yet another illegible, unusable version of "Bobby's World/Characters".  Can we all keep an eye out for this one?  Thanks.

Well, Moderation should be good for this. Leave a firm warning any further attempts to submit in this manner will lead to bans and their submission never being public. They ignore that, we did our fair warning, all we need do is drop hammers after like we promised.

And (s)he just created yet another new account -- MarieCandy -- to send me a board-to-board message claiming to be "deleting" the other accounts.

Since I had explicitly warned him/her yesterday that creating a new account for a new edit would result in a ban, all four accounts have been put on tempban for two weeks.

EDIT: Oh, and would someone else please weigh in? Just make a token appearance? I really don't like being the (only) bad cop, and she's starting to deal with me as though I am the wiki administration in its entirety.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
On another topic entirely... I'm currently working on a franchise template for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm trying to decide if it's already too big (thanks to dozens of Buffy tie-in novels), or if it needs to be turned into a "Buffyverse" franchise template by also adding all the supplemental works for Angel. (Which, frankly, would make it the largest franchise template we have by far.) Opinions please?
-- Bob

(08-03-2023, 03:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 02:00 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, we seem to have one of those users again.  MarieLover aka MarieLoving aka MarieSweet is apparently not a native speaker of English and understands enough to submit subterranean-quality pages and edits, but not enough to understand simple instructions.  Further, he/she appears to be doing that thing we've seen in the past where they create a new user account for practically every edit.  After being warned not to.  I've just threatened a multiban if they create another account just to submit yet another illegible, unusable version of "Bobby's World/Characters".  Can we all keep an eye out for this one?  Thanks.

Well, Moderation should be good for this. Leave a firm warning any further attempts to submit in this manner will lead to bans and their submission never being public. They ignore that, we did our fair warning, all we need do is drop hammers after like we promised.

And (s)he just created yet another new account -- MarieCandy -- to send me a board-to-board message claiming to be "deleting" the other accounts.

Since I had explicitly warned him/her yesterday that creating a new account for a new edit would result in a ban, all four accounts have been put on tempban for two weeks.

EDIT: Oh, and would someone else please weigh in? Just make a token appearance? I really don't like being the (only) bad cop, and she's starting to deal with me as though I am the wiki administration in its entirety.

I will, don't worry about it:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...mplnkyqft7
(08-03-2023, 06:01 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 03:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

EDIT:  Oh, and would someone else please weigh in?  Just make a token appearance?  I really don't like being the (only) bad cop, and she's starting to deal with me as though I am the wiki administration in its entirety.

I will, don't worry about it:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...mplnkyqft7

Likewise.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...744wg0z9dw
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Thanks guys.
-- Bob

Okay, I just completed the first round of "Harry Potter" cleanup. We had a positively Gordian knot of redirects and subpages there, but I've managed to split all the books out into their own work page hierarchies. I still have redirects in place to make sure links don't get broken, but I'm going to have to do some bot runs to clean that all up over the next week or two. I'll put a proper notice on the ad hoc bot runs page, but since the tool I use isn't so much a bot as a program that automates finding and loading pages and editing in place, and all with direct user oversight, I doubt we'll have any chance of runaway mis-edits.
-- Bob

(08-04-2023, 04:00 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, I just completed the first round of "Harry Potter" cleanup. We had a positively Gordian knot of redirects and subpages there, but I've managed to split all the books out into their own work page hierarchies. I still have redirects in place to make sure links don't get broken, but I'm going to have to do some bot runs to clean that all up over the next week or two. I'll put a proper notice on the ad hoc bot runs page

Okay, I put the notice/request up on All The Tropes:As Needed Bot Jobs.
-- Bob

Wow. It's a good thing I looked before adding "Category:Trope Workshop" to the "Needs More Info" template.

If I had just gone ahead and dome that, there's be over 2,000 entries in the Trope Workshop now.

Instead, I've added a note to the Sitenotice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I noticed this paragraph by Looney Toons on a talk page:
Quote:Meanwhile there are more than a few creators here -- including a goodly chunk of the mod staff -- who have frequently added their own comments and trope entries to pages other people wrote about their works.  (That was once very welcome on TVT -- SF author Diane Duane used to trope her own stuff for example, back before the staff got very hostile toward creators who didn't like censorship.  We like to think we're preserving the open and welcoming atmosphere that TVT threw away when it decided money was more important than anything else.)

We really should invite her to ATT, assuming somebody has her contact information. (I don't.) The last time I looked, we liked "creators who didn't like censorship."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sadly, I lost track of her after she married Peter and moved to Ireland.
-- Bob

Did Miraheze update MediaWiki over the weekend? The "watch this page" checkbox on the edit page now has a dropdown next to it that allows you to set how long you want it in your watchlist.
-- Bob

(08-14-2023, 08:45 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Did Miraheze update MediaWiki over the weekend?  The "watch this page" checkbox on the edit page now has a dropdown next to it that allows you to set how long you want it in your watchlist.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.39

According to the Special:Version page, we are on MW 1.39.4, a minor update release, which was released on 7th of this month. As part of the incremental update we got a minor feature addition.
Cool. If they can do that, maybe they can turn off the visual editor for us, too.
-- Bob

Heads up. Yardie Boy is back. I haven't checked all his changes yet, but I'm not holding out hope that he's learned his lesson.

EDIT: He didn't, and tried to insert more self-promotion into the description of "Talk:They're Called "Personal Issues" for a Reason/Laconic", along with a half-dozen more stupidly clumsy attempts which you'll find on the Reject list for Moderation if you care to check them out. I'm not going to bother giving him a longer tempban in the hope that it'll change his behavior -- I'm going directly to a perm ban, invoking point 7 of section 2.1 on him. I've also marked him as a spammer.
-- Bob

I just looked at the first four of the changes you rejected from him. Yes, obvious spammer. Nuke without warning.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm tempted to revert this edit - adding words to what's in boldface for the first title drop, lampshading the actual title drop, replacing grammatical English with an eggcorn,... and one bit that's a matter of personal style so it might or might not enhance the trope description.

Should I?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-19-2023, 02:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm tempted to revert this edit - adding words to what's in boldface for the first title drop, lampshading the actual title drop, replacing grammatical English with an eggcorn,... and one bit that's a matter of personal style  so it might or might not enhance the trope description.

Should I?

I like the change myself. It adds particular emphasis to the point of the description, and I don't believe we have any ironclad rule against causal phrasing (wanna is a fairly normal slang version of want to) so long as the meaning is still clear.
And that's why I ask about this sort of thing. Thanks, Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we not have a trope for "adrenaline junkie" / "thrill seeker" / somebody who likes being in dangerous situations?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-19-2023, 02:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm tempted to revert this edit - adding words to what's in boldface for the first title drop, lampshading the actual title drop, replacing grammatical English with an eggcorn,... and one bit that's a matter of personal style so it might or might not enhance the trope description.

Should I?

I'd say revert. We don't pothole title drops to Title Drop, that's... no. Just no. Likewise adding words to the boldface -- if it's not in the title, it doesn't get bolded.

The eye dialect "wanna" is counter to our house style in this instance, too. Kill it all.
-- Bob

(08-20-2023, 04:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: Do we not have a trope for "adrenaline junkie" / "thrill seeker" / somebody who likes being in dangerous situations?

In Harm's Way is the closest we get, but it's pretty damned close.
-- Bob

(08-20-2023, 07:12 PM)n this, but I would like to sayBob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 02:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm tempted to revert this edit - adding words to what's in boldface for the first title drop, lampshading the actual title drop, replacing grammatical English with an eggcorn,... and one bit that's a matter of personal style  so it might or might not enhance the trope description.

Should I?

I'd say revert.  We don't pothole title drops to Title Drop, that's... no.  Just no.  Likewise adding words to the boldface -- if it's not in the title, it doesn't get bolded.

The eye dialect "wanna" is counter to our house style in this instance, too.  Kill it all.

I won't argue with most of this, nor will I challenge you on this, but I personally am not opposed to the idea of some casual lingo (so long as the meaning is still clear) and a limited use of bollding if it gives emphasis to an idea, but that's just my personal taste, I'll defer to policy if push comes to shove.
(08-20-2023, 08:24 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-20-2023, 07:12 PM)n this, but I would like to sayBob Schroeck Wrote:

Should I?

I'd say revert.  We don't pothole title drops to Title Drop, that's... no.  Just no.  Likewise adding words to the boldface -- if it's not in the title, it doesn't get bolded.

The eye dialect "wanna" is counter to our house style in this instance, too.  Kill it all.

I won't argue with most of this, nor will I challenge you on this, but I personally am not opposed to the idea of some casual lingo (so long as the meaning is still clear) and a limited use of bollding if it gives emphasis to an idea, but that's just my personal taste, I'll defer to policy if push comes to shove.

Given that Bob's issues are things we discuss in the Style Guide, I'm going along with his vote on this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-20-2023, 07:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-20-2023, 04:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: Do we not have a trope for "adrenaline junkie" / "thrill seeker" / somebody who likes being in dangerous situations?

In Harm's Way is the closest we get, but it's pretty damned close.

Thanks. I've added that trope, listed as "downplayed", to the character writeup in question.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown