Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
I's been a while since we went through the users and decided on who to promote to autopatrolled. I found myself doing so earlier this morning as a side effect of clearing out the Moderation queue, and I've got a list to share. It's in two parts -- People who definitely should be promoted, and edge cases that I think probably qualify but about whom I wouldn't mind a second (or third) opinion. For the latter I've provided links to their contribution histories so you guys can check them out easily.

Definitely:
  • BigBertha (member since 2018, should have been grandfathered)
  • GalaxySagi777 (Member since January, lots of good, large edits including multiple new pages)
  • Lolcatistan (member since 7/18, should have been grandfathered)
  • Jake Grey (member since 5/22, good edits, might be the fic author of the same name)
  • Miked0920 (member since 2016, should have been grandfathered)
  • Onibotoke Aedus (member since 10/22, responds to mods, two new pages, substantial edits)
  • VinnieTheBaggySweater (member since 2/22, many good edits, candidate in the Workshop)

Probably:
  • Dark Hunter (member since 3/21, few but substantial edits)
  • DeviantRaccoon (member since June 22, a bit tightly focused, but responds to communications. Suspect he might be the author of the work he's flogging, but have no evidence for it)
  • GrandpaNurgle (member since 10/19, not many edits, but probably should have been grandfathered)
  • JustARookie (member since 7/22, not many edits, all on Monster Girls Quest! Paradox or its subpages)
  • Magpie (member since April, about a dozen large edits on various pages)
  • MercenaryGundam (member since April, responds to mods, created new work page)
  • NoneOfYourBusiness (member since 4/22, reponds to mods, good number of large edits, including new pages)
  • Ogleguy2000 (member since 3/31, lots of good edits, but two instances of copyright infringement)
  • Pike2023! (member since July 27, varied edits including a new work page)
  • Spirit Of A Kiger (member since 5/22, few but good edits, seems to have some interest in the tech side of the wiki)
  • Ulysses Burbank (member since January, not many edits, but on a wide variety of pages)

So... unless someone yells "NO!" I'll be promoting the users on the first list tonight, probably. The rest will have to wait until I hear your thoughts, or lack thereof.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-21-2023, 12:47 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I's been a while since we went through the users and decided on who to promote to autopatrolled.  I found myself doing so earlier this morning as a side effect of clearing out the Moderation queue, and I've got a list to share.  It's in two parts -- People who definitely should be promoted, and edge cases that I think probably qualify but about whom I wouldn't mind a second (or third) opinion.  For the latter I've provided links to their contribution histories so you guys can check them out easily.

Definitely:
  • GalaxySagi777 (Member since January, lots of good, large edits including multiple new pages)
  • Jake Grey (member since 5/22, good edits, might be the fic author of the same name)
  • Onibotoke Aedus (member since 10/22, responds to mods, two new pages, substantial edits)
  • VinnieTheBaggySweater (member since 2/22, many good edits, candidate in the Workshop)

Probably:
  • DeviantRaccoon (member since June 22, a bit tightly focused, but responds to communications.  Suspect he might be the author of the work he's flogging, but have no evidence for it)
  • GrandpaNurgle (member since 10/19, not many edits, but probably should have been grandfathered)
  • JustARookie (member since 7/22, not many edits, all on Monster Girls Quest! Paradox or its subpages)
  • NoneOfYourBusiness (member since 4/22, reponds to mods, good number of large edits, including new pages)
  • Ogleguy2000 (member since 3/31, lots of good edits, but two instances of copyright infringement)
  • Spirit Of A Kiger (member since 5/22, few but good edits, seems to have some interest in the tech side of the wiki)
  • Ulysses Burbank (member since January, not many edits, but on a wide variety of pages)

So... unless someone yells "NO!" I'll be promoting the users on the first list tonight, probably.  The rest will have to wait until I hear your thoughts, or lack thereof.

As for the second list, I'm all for waiting some more Ogleguy2000. Weak OK on DeviantRaccoon, unless they show evidence of trying to make a shrine of their possible self-promoted work page. Rest can get their flags like the first list.
(08-21-2023, 01:51 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 12:47 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I's been a while since we went through the users and decided on who to promote to autopatrolled.  I found myself doing so earlier this morning as a side effect of clearing out the Moderation queue, and I've got a list to share.  It's in two parts -- People who definitely should be promoted, and edge cases that I think probably qualify but about whom I wouldn't mind a second (or third) opinion.  For the latter I've provided links to their contribution histories so you guys can check them out easily.

Definitely:

Probably:
  • DeviantRaccoon (member since June 22, a bit tightly focused, but responds to communications.  Suspect he might be the author of the work he's flogging, but have no evidence for it)

So... unless someone yells "NO!" I'll be promoting the users on the first list tonight, probably.  The rest will have to wait until I hear your thoughts, or lack thereof.

As for the second list, I'm all for waiting some more Ogleguy2000. Weak OK on DeviantRaccoon, unless they show evidence of trying to make a shrine of their possible self-promoted work page. Rest can get their flags like the first list.

I proposed promoting Dark Hunter a couple of weeks ago, so I definitely have no objection to promoting them now.

As for the others, the only one I'm not familiar with is Ulysses Burbank. Tentative yes on that troper, definite yes on all of the others.

(I'll admit that I seem to recall one or two of them have made one or two edits that I didn't agree with, but "disagreeing with a mod" is specifically allowed on ATT and thus it isn't a reason to block promotion to autopatrolled.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(08-21-2023, 05:46 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 01:51 PM)GethN7 Wrote: As for the second list, I'm all for waiting some more Ogleguy2000. Weak OK on DeviantRaccoon, unless they show evidence of trying to make a shrine of their possible self-promoted work page. Rest can get their flags like the first list.

I proposed promoting Dark Hunter a couple of weeks ago, so I definitely have no objection to promoting them now.

As for the others, the only one I'm not familiar with is Ulysses Burbank. Tentative yes on that troper, definite yes on all of the others.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure why I neither remember nor seem to have acted on your recommendation.

As for all the rest... I'm okay with waiting on Ogleguy2000, too, if only because of the copyright infringements. Everyone else seems to get an okay, so I'll promote them all later this evening.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-21-2023, 06:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm sorry, I'm not sure why I neither remember nor seem to have acted on your recommendation.

I think it was because you wanted to see more edits from them first. Which is completely understandable.

Remember a couple of months ago, we had a discussion about VisualEditor?

Miraheze Phabricator request T11156 now exists for this request, as decided on here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-21-2023, 06:13 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 06:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm sorry, I'm not sure why I neither remember nor seem to have acted on your recommendation.
I think it was because you wanted to see more edits from them first. Which is completely understandable.

I guess I saw enough, or changed my mind.

(08-21-2023, 06:13 PM)robkelk Wrote: Remember a couple of months ago, we had a discussion about VisualEditor?
Miraheze Phabricator request T11156 now exists for this request, as decided on here.

Yay!
-- Bob

(08-21-2023, 08:12 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 06:13 PM)robkelk Wrote: Remember a couple of months ago, we had a discussion about VisualEditor?

Yay!

Apparently we have to do it ourselves for each namespace - the ticket was closed with a comment saying there's a toggle in Special:ManageWiki/namespaces
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-21-2023, 06:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm okay with waiting on Ogleguy2000, too, if only because of the copyright infringements. Everyone else seems to get an okay, so I'll promote them all later this evening.

And I've just done so.
-- Bob

I have to wonder about the wiki software sometimes. Or maybe I should wonder about some of the tropers. Seen on a list of pages that use the redirect "Author On Board":

.jpg   two-tropes.jpg (Size: 10.5 KB / Downloads: 149)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We're now down to 30 entries in the Trope Workshop. Of these, 15 are new trope candidates, 10 are tropestubs, and the other five are user sandbox pages.

It's been a while since new trope candidates outnumbered tropestubs...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Another user to promote, who probably should have gotten grandfathered in as they've been a wiki member since 2019: Roryokane. (S)he's also one of our few dual TVT-ATT editors.
-- Bob

I see that Roryokane needs to be a bit better at identifying changes that they make on both trope wikis, but other than that, no objections.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well yeah. The latest incident is what reminded me that they actually existed. Otherwise I'd've included them in the big list last week.
-- Bob

(08-27-2023, 09:49 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Another user to promote, who probably should have gotten grandfathered in as they've been a wiki member since 2019: Roryokane. (S)he's also one of our few dual TVT-ATT editors.

Just bringing this up again. If no one says no, I'll promote Roryokane in a day or two.
-- Bob

Just noticed that we have approximately 500 Laconic subpages that begin with the word "The" and don't have defaultsort tags. Which means that other subpages in the same groups might or might not also be missing their defaultsort tags.

So, if anybody's bored, there's a bunch of pages that need defaultsort tags.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As I type this, there is one entry in the Moderation queue.

What a mess.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a wholesale copy from TVT... but I don't have time to look right now...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hoo boy, that is a mess. It doesn't even need copyright infringement to get rejected, but it would be a nice cherry on top.

I'm making my way through the recent changes right now; when I'm done I'll check TVT to see if it's an illegal copy of anything. At least they used a page template?
-- Bob

Okay, finally got around to it. Not copyright infringement -- TVT is apparently unaware that this roleplay exists (yet). But it utterly fails our minimum standards for a work page, and I've informed him so.
-- Bob

Guys, please check out this edit to RationalWiki by HLIAA14YOG. It reads to me more like a rant than an objective comment. Then again, it's a YMMV trope-ish thing (the link he uses goes to the category page) on a YMMV page.
-- Bob

(09-07-2023, 07:53 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Guys, please check out this edit to RationalWiki by HLIAA14YOG. It reads to me more like a rant than an objective comment. Then again, it's a YMMV trope-ish thing (the link he uses goes to the category page) on a YMMV page.

It's an opinion on a YMMV page. That doesn't stop anybody else from adding a counter-opinion, such as "However, note "Anvilicious" below. The opinion above is very similar to what right-wing fundamentalist Christian white heterosexual males call any website or wiki that treats them the same as everybody else. "Equal treatment" is not the same as "target"."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-07-2023, 07:53 AM)rBob Schroeck Wrote: Guys, please check out this edit to RationalWiki by HLIAA14YOG.  It reads to me more like a rant than an objective comment.  Then again, it's a YMMV trope-ish thing (the link he uses goes to the category page) on a YMMV page.

I was a former member, it's not far off.

That said, they DO criticize Islam, though they tend to preface it with a lot of caveats and apologia, just take a look at their main page in the criticism sections

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Islam

As for the other stuff, again, not far off at all. They do have artifacts of when that edits wasn't as true on the older sections of the wiki, but the most updated content is generally in line with that YMMV.

The Capitalism page tends to lean toward the negative as well:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Capitalism

The transgender page doesn't even try to be objective or neutral, this is outright apologia: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gender_transition

Compare Wikipedia, which does try to be more objective:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexual

The racism page also works under the assumption most to all racists are white or asian:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Racism
Fair enough. In that case I will leave it alone, and let someone else who knows RationalWiki provide whatever rebuttal they think might be needed.
-- Bob

Just noticed that there's an edit to this page in moderation, from a troper who hasn't edited since 2018. (The troper in question has only edited that particular page.)

Just what is that page? And, whatever it is, is it on-topic for ATT? I'm still trying to grasp exactly what our blog service is intended for.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-09-2023, 09:49 AM)robkelk Wrote: Just noticed that there's an edit to this page in moderation, from a troper who hasn't edited since 2018. (The troper in question has only edited that particular page.)

Just what is that page? And, whatever it is, is it on-topic for ATT? I'm still trying to grasp exactly what our blog service is intended for.

The blogs are for blogging about tropes and works (and other site related topics). The blog in question appears to be notes by the troper in question about various internet based fiction works they are familiar with and thus serves as a catchall page documenting them and their progress.
Is it just me, or does this edit to The Qur'an/YMMV by our old friend HLIAA14YOG read as dismissive and borderline disrespectful of the work and Muslims in general? I know it's a YMMV page, but it seems to me that HLIAA14YOG is trying to get away with returning to some of his past bad behavior by recasting it as YMMV stuff.
-- Bob