Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
Confirmed that the ManaChara wiki's got images back, too.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Oh, boy - that set of subpages is a mess...

I know what my next big project is: clean up "Big Finish Doctor Who/Recap". The pages aren't organized in any meaningful way, the individual recap pages have opaque acronyms for subseries after the episode names instead of the names being written out in full before the episode names, the pages are sorted into two different categories... At least we only have 82 recap pages in that section, instead of a full 1606 pages.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I didn't like writing this Mod message.

The only reason I didn't put the troper On Notice is because they provided an edit reason. A poor edit reason IMHO, but a reason nonetheless.

And I've added the standard "These things about ''[[{{TOPLEVELPAGE}}]]'' are subjective - not everyone will agree with all of them." line to the top of the YMMV page in question. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to automate checking whether the line is present on YMMV pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I begin to wonder whether User:Eeveegirl‎ is an AI bot.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know there's a trope here (specifically how the third panel doesn't match the others), but I don't know what we call it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-03-2023, 02:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: I begin to wonder whether User:Eeveegirl‎ is an AI bot.

I'll evaluate her edit in the mod queue shortly. I glanced at it last night, but it was late and I was a bit too tired to do a proper job.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-04-2023, 08:13 AM)robkelk Wrote: I know there's a trope here (specifically how the third panel doesn't match the others), but I don't know what we call it...

Art Shift
-- Bob

(12-04-2023, 08:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 02:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: I begin to wonder whether User:Eeveegirl‎ is an AI bot.

I'll evaluate her edit in the mod queue shortly. I glanced at it last night, but it was late and I was a bit too tired to do a proper job.

Done and approved, but I honestly think she didn't write it herself. It actually has punctuation and reads too well compared to her every communication with us. She may not be a chatbot, Rob, but I suspect maybe she had one rewrite that passage.

Anyway, now that that's taken care of, I'd like to discuss her insistent claim that despite having made 140 edits to the wiki over more than four years that she is "new to editing". I'm getting tired of this catch-all excuse for every problem she doesn't want to address. I'm inclined to invoke a "failure to learn from mistakes" tempban on her -- and make it big because of how many months it usually is between her appearances on the wiki, maybe six months or so. And possibly use it as a lead-up to a perm ban based on repeating something that led to a tempban. I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.
-- Bob

(12-04-2023, 02:24 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 08:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Done and approved, but I honestly think she didn't write it herself. It actually has punctuation and reads too well compared to her every communication with us. She may not be a chatbot, Rob, but I suspect maybe she had one rewrite that passage.

Anyway, now that that's taken care of, I'd like to discuss her insistent claim that despite having made 140 edits to the wiki over more than four years that she is "new to editing". I'm getting tired of this catch-all excuse for every problem she doesn't want to address. I'm inclined to invoke a "failure to learn from mistakes" tempban on her -- and make it big because of how many months it usually is between her appearances on the wiki, maybe six months or so. And possibly use it as a lead-up to a perm ban based on repeating something that led to a tempban. I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

I see that "Adding incorrect text and presenting it as fact" is on the list of reasons to warn then tempban on All The Tropes:How We Do Bans Around Here, so this is definitely bannable behaviour.

As for an immediate tempban... it isn't written in so many words, but "Violating the Terms of Service or the Content Guidelines" is on the immediate tempban list, so we do show that we take our core policies seriously... and ATT:1WAY is listed as being a core policy. "You may not agree with an editor, but you should always be able to respect another editor." Repeatedly lying to us shows a distinct lack of respect to the people that Eeveegirl‎ lies to.

So... yeah, if you do an immediate ban for this behaviour, I won't undo it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm going to wait to see what she does in response to my calling bullshit on her claims and presenting numbers, first. But I'm going to keep all those in mind and use them if/when I impose a ban.
-- Bob

Do we have a page yet for Hermione's New Job? Because in the belated Suicide Squad issue, we have
(12-04-2023, 04:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm going to wait to see what she does in response to my calling bullshit on her claims and presenting numbers, first.  But I'm going to keep all those in mind and use them if/when I impose a ban.

Yeah, we are long past the point the new editor excuse makes sense and we've gotten to the point people getting lazy and using AI to write things out because they cannot be bothered to exercise the slightest bit of brainpower and talent is sadly not uncommon, and they've long been on my "this editor is super sus" radar.

If you want to drop the hammer, do so with my blessing, we do not have the time to be taken for fools by someone too unwilling to meet us halfway.
I will do so with a clean conscience, then, within the next few days, regardless of whether she responds or not, starting with a six-month tempban to be proportional to her frequency of appearance on the wiki.
-- Bob

(12-04-2023, 06:27 PM)Mamorien Wrote: Do we have a page yet for Hermione's New Job? Because in the belated Suicide Squad issue, we have

Not yet. Feel free to write one!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Another "I know it's a trope, but I don't know what we call it" case: today's Irregular Webcomic

[Image: irreg5082.jpg]

Anybody know what we call this?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Argh. I know it, but I can't think of it.
-- Bob

(12-05-2023, 08:42 AM)robkelk Wrote: Another "I know it's a trope, but I don't know what we call it" case: today's Irregular Webcomic

[Image: irreg5082.jpg]

Anybody know what we call this?

Seems like a case of Exact Words. He's not going to shoot them in cold blood. Doesn't stop him from getting someone else to do it for him.
Thanks, Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, boy. Real Life is getting in the way again. I'll launch "Interactive Title Screen" -- tomorrow -- but that'll have to be it for me and the wiki for a few days. Fingers crossed that the mess wil be sorted by the weekend, but no promises.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No problem. I'll handle all the candidates whose launches I set in motion this morning.
-- Bob

I just noticed that Kuma changed a Trope Workshop page into a noticeably different trope candidate a year ago.

Should we revert that change, bringing back the old trope candidate, or should we treat this as a different trope candidate? I've already posted assuming the latter is the correct way to proceed, but I can be overruled by other mods.

(And I'm thinking that it really isn't worth it any more to have Kuma on my list of "usual suspects" for alerting to votes and discussions.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've already tagged that trope for deletion in a few days since no one's touched it in like 16 months; I don't think it's worth the effort to do anything with it.
-- Bob

It's been a while since I last did this...

As of this posting, we have 15 candidates in the Trope Workshop (not counting the five candidates that are still in people's sandboxes). Sorted by the Troper who created them, they are:

Inherited from TV Tropes and moved back to the Workshop for an overhaul (9 candidates):
  • Alternate History Screw
  • Anarchy Is Chaos
  • Awful British Sex Comedy
  • Clarke's Law for Girls' Toys
  • Dodgy Time Stamp
  • Megane
  • Montage Parody
  • Postponed Question
  • Video Collage
Proposed by User:Jlaw (1 candidate):
  • Trope Workshop:Bottle and Switch Episode (has a vote in progress as of this posting)
Proposed by User:Kuma (2 candidates):
  • Trope Workshop:Be A Mon (has a vote in progress as of this posting)
  • Trope Workshop:Chaos Control (has a delete proposal pending as of this posting)
Proposed by User:Looney Toons (2 candidates):
  • Trope Workshop:Apotheosis
  • Trope Workshop:Killing the Goose That Lays the Golden Eggs
Proposed by User:RivetVermin (1 candidate):
  • Trope Workshop:Single Purpose Planet

We really should do something about the tropes that we inherited from TV Tropes... at the least, do they actually need cleanup?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-09-2023, 12:20 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I've already tagged that trope for deletion in a few days since no one's touched it in like 16 months; I don't think it's worth the effort to do anything with it.

Kuma's done a little bit of work and removed the template. Twice.

Call for a decision: has the work that's been done count as sufficient to keep the proposal alive, considering that everybody let it sit fallow for fifteen months?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And as long as we're cleaning up the Trope Workshop... I've got this note in my sandbox that barely counts as an idea for a trope, assuming it is a trope. Am I working on a useful note instead? Or maybe something that's too rare to trope?

== Trope Workshop:Style Mismatch ==
''Don't know whether this is actually a trope or just a list of musical oddities. If it's the latter, toss it.''

A song is written in a style that's usually used for a completely different topic.

''needs a better description''

=== Music ===
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDkmVo2fg4 "The White Collar Holler"] by [[Stan Rogers]] is a working-man's blues tune about having a desk job.
* "Ride That Lightning" by [[Chris Hadfield]] is a gospel tune about space flight.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown