Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Pan and Never Never Land
Re: Peter Pan and Never Never Land
Quote:
I can see your point Doug
Was I talking in character? Wow.
Quote:
(I never thought of the Red Indians or the Mermaids, really).
Most people do forget them; they don't play that much of a role in any of the retellings. The Indians didn't even make an appearance in "Hook", ten years or so back -- probably due to politcal correctness issues.
Quote:
As for the Post-Modern Post-Adolescent Disorder, it's the medical term for people who (And I quote) "Don't want to grow up."
Ah! Otherwise known as the "Toys 'R' Us Kid Syndrome". Yeah, that pretty much nails me, too.

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...
Re: Man of La Mancha
You need to read the Compleat Enchanter by de Camp.
He (or one of the authorised sequels) does a bit in that world. Essentially, sorcerers call on the Devil, whereas a knight calls on the power of God. So Quixote IS a mage himself.
Harold Shea (the character in the book) calls it something like "magic by name-dropping". At one point, after trying a "classical" spell to get a horse, he ends up with a strange chicken-beast. In a moment of rashness, he said "By God, my wife, and the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, I want a horse and I want one now!"
*poof* Chicken-thing becomes a horse.
Caveat: It's been a while since I read the sotry, I may be messing things up a bit.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
The Indians didn't even make an appearance in "Hook", ten years or so back -- probably due to politcal correctness issues.
Actually, I thought this was addressed - during the decade or whatever it was of Pan's absence, the pirates had wiped them out. Even if not stated in the film, it's as plausible an explanation as any.
(re Doug flying)
I don't actually think Pan-style flight requites a pixie's cooperation, as such; all it requires is pixie dust, though admittedly it's easier to get such if the pixie *is* willing. (In the Disney animation, at least, Tinkerbell didn't look that cooperative to me when Peter was using her to sprinkle the Darlings...)
Whether or not a single 'dose' is permanent isn't settled in my mind, but if you wanted to take the position that it isn't you could have him gain the ability for part of his stay in Neverland and lose it later on, possibly upon departure - much like the movie 'Hook' did at its end.
Quote:
"By God, my wife, and the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce,
in increasing level of power, right?[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
bob wrote:
Ah! Otherwise known as the "Toys 'R' Us Kid Syndrome". Yeah, that pretty much nails me, too.
^^ i expect to suffer...*ahem* I meant enjoythis problem till my deathbed. then i pass it on to all my grandchildren ^^

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
jpub said:
Quote:
Re: Man of La Mancha
You need to read the Compleat Enchanter by de Camp.
You know, I read all these -- all that were available at least -- back in the early 1980s. This new edition that people keep telling me about sounds like something else entirely...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.