Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really *weird* places for a Step...
Re: More Oddities
>... I've heard of "Silverhawks", but never saw it.
From the people who brought you Thundercats...
-There's a definite "down" in deep interplanetary space.
-Space is apparently filled with breathable air. Either that or life support tech is universal and invisible.
-Humans can only survive FTL travel with extensive cyborg mods. ...Except that only applies to the main characters.
-Getting a cybernetic heart will dull your emotions.
-The setting, a smallish star system, is known as the Limbo *Galaxy*.
-Said system is simultaneously an out-of-the-way backwater and a vital hub of interstellar commerce.
-Said system is lit by an Artificial Sun. No problem with that concept? Consider that it's a -giant flashlight- and therefore shines in only -one- direction. I guess the planets must all be orbiting it at the same speed. Or something.
-The major villain of the series has, at its outset, been held imprisoned--by a starfaring civilization--on his home turf, quite near the dwarf star from whose radiation he gains temporary superpowers. And his cell is on the outer rim of the prison station, which spins in such a fashion as to occasionally place only one thin layer of hull between him and said radiation. -And they're surprised when he escapes-.
-There's a disintegrator ray. It's really a telekinetic machine-disassembler beam... that doesn't work on gold.
That was a cartoon of -very- little brain. I liked it, but I couldn't tell you -why-...
>Tigersharks ...
Again, the third after Thundercats and Silverhawks. It didn't last long at all. Something about human xeno-oceanographers studying a waterworld, which comes under attack by evil amphibian invaders, and since the natives aren't much good at fighting the humans transform themselves into sea-creature hybrid warriors...
>Spiral Zone
Megalomaniac scientist Dr. James "Overlord" Bent has created the Zone Generators, machines that broadcast some kind of telepathic field that destroys free will and reduces any humans within their boundaries to helpless slaves (and broadcast telepathic instructions as well). In a stolen force-shielded spaceplane, he manages to scatter generators across half the Earth (in a spiral pattern from pole to pole, hence the name) before a lucky missile shot cripples the plane (whose forcefield he didn't invent and can't duplicate). Overlord and his elite "Black Widow" mercs, all immunized against the Zone at the price of hideous physical mutation, organize an army of Zoners (no, not like THAT!) to expand their territory; at the last minute, scientists in England come up with a miracle substance that blocks the Zone radiation and can be incorporated into body armor. Unfortunately the scientists only manage to get one shipment of the stuff to Cheyenne Mountain before the Widows close in; they suicide rather than let the secret of "Neutron-90" fall into Overlord's hands, and now NOBODY knows how to make the stuff... so it's just one small band of "Zone Riders" equipped with the suits and able to make forays into the Zone. "Earth's Most Powerful Soldiers fight the Spiral Zone"...
Each side took ruthless advantage of the other's inability to understand their tech. Overlord's generators were all 100% booby-trapped--there was literally no way to open one up and maybe figure out how it worked; ANY attempt to open one, and any mechanical failure within one, would make it explode. The Widows had control of enough industrial capacity that they could just make more and drop spares in if one went boom.
It was a good concept, and they told some decent stories, but mostly it was yet another cranked-out-plot 80's toon. Shame.
>>Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
>I remember the title, and I almost kinda-sorta remember the cartoon itself. I don't remember being impressed...
I never said I was picking these shows for their -quality-. Smile
>>Gilbert & Sullivan.
>Hmmm. Possibilities. Many possibilities. Much depends on whether or not the people native to G&S worlds sing their day to day lives the way the plays seem to imply.
In the aforementioned Marvin Kaye book, the hero is pulled into a world incorporating -all- the plays; there's a Universal Theme playing constantly (which John Wellington Wells, the Sorcerer, attributes to God--a world where humans can hear the Symphony...?), and people do indeed break into song at the drop of a hat. Even extradimensional visitors find themselves wanting to join in... and locals are puzzled when the hero, fearing assimilation, insists on making an effort to stick to prose.
--Sam Ashley
"I'll explain in two words: it's a beach party, and I'm Frankie Avalon."
"And I'm Annette Funicello!"
(The Pirate King and Samuel, from -The Pirate Movie-)
>"Ran Nomine"? Please sir, may I have some more?
Phillip: Consider it on its way, my friend. I warn you now it's unfinished. I really need to do something about that (though that would be sped up if Sofaspud's every got around to updating again. I have the next installment on the queue. For over a year now.)
>
>I must read this! Please let me know when it's ready for release (or prereaders!).
Sam: ...I don't know where we could possibly find a more qualified prereader. Smile
Phillip: Well, I'm sure we could dig one up, but this sounds like less effort and less likely to involve criminal proceedings.
>-- Bob
>(I wanna cameo! For me and my secretary, Bitsy of Amber.) (As it turned out, J. Halvah's Project was the Light behind Amber that cast all the Shadows, and she was there to watch over it.)
*Sold!*
Phillip DesJardins, Monkeys With Typewriters Fanfiction Productions, AKA The Happy Shiny Mercurian ("In the name of the Symphony, I shall punish you!")
Sam Ashley, Evil Midnight Lurker ("An object at rest--CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!")
...oh yeah, we never mentioned the -title-. D'oh.
Ranma 1/2 - Illuminati University:
A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING.
Toodles,
Just Phillip this time
Sam
"The night is young and we have umbrellas in our drinks!"
(In response to Lurker's full breakdown of various 80s cartoons...)
Based on these descriptions, I am so glad I never saw any of them. They mostly sound awful. "Spiral Zone" does sound like it had potential, but I expect it got stupidified rather quickly by the production house.
Quote:
In the aforementioned Marvin Kaye book, the hero is pulled into a world incorporating -all- the plays; there's a Universal Theme playing constantly (which John Wellington Wells, the Sorcerer, attributes to God--a world where humans can hear the Symphony...?), and people do indeed break into song at the drop of a hat. Even extradimensional visitors find themselves wanting to join in... and locals are puzzled when the hero, fearing assimilation, insists on making an effort to stick to prose.
Oh, that sounds cool. I'll have to find that book. It sounds a little like um, I think it was a Poul Anderson book where there was a world where all of Shakespeare's plays were literal history (and he was the Great Historian).
Quote:
"I'll explain in two words: it's a beach party, and I'm Frankie Avalon."
"And I'm Annette Funicello!"
(The Pirate King and Samuel, from -The Pirate Movie-)
Oh, I was going to mention that movie. One of my true guilty pleasures -- I love "Pirates of Penzance", but I can't help enjoying this horrible rip-off that was made almost solely to cash in on the success of the version playing on Broadway at the time. It was one of the few things I actually liked Kristy McNichol in, too.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:
>"Ran Nomine"? Please sir, may I have some more?
Phillip: Consider it on its way, my friend. I warn you now it's unfinished.
Unfinished I can deal with, as long as I know that it's not abandoned!
Quote:
Sam: ...I don't know where we could possibly find a more qualified prereader. Smile
Phillip: Well, I'm sure we could dig one up, but this sounds like less effort and less likely to involve criminal proceedings.
Might I point out that Her Nibs the Archdean herself is an anime fan of no small stature? She was, years past, one of my first sources on Bubblegum Crisis, in fact.
Quote:
*Sold!*
Okay, give me a chance to go find all my old information; I had a rather detailed description of my office, based on the fact that I was the point of intersection between the original game and a spin-off that ran on a BBS network in the last few years before the Internet became known to the public. My office basically existed on both the original campus (visible through windows 1 and 3) and on the Intelec extension campus (visible through windows 2 and 4). Those were the days. Give me some time to dig through my old diskettes for you (hopefully those archives are on 3.5" disks and not 5.25"...)

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Ranma 1/2 - Illuminati University:
A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING.
I like. Muchly.

-- Bob
---------
BTW, Lurker, I hope you don't mind, but I'm sending your description of the fic to Her Nibs. She'll get such a kick out of it!

-- Bob
---------
Response and reporting for duty!
Heya. Phillip here under his secret identity (shh). Thought I'd join up at this point.
I've actually spoken with Her Nibs. In retrospect I can't believe I didn't share this idea with her, though I did mention Ran Nomine.. *sweatdrop* I think another round of email-chatting with her is in order.
By the way, Bob? I really do love the Walk stories thus far, though I've yet to finish them.
Phillip DesJardins, Monkeys With Typewriters Fanfiction Productions
Re: Response and reporting for duty!
Quote:
Oh, I was going to mention that movie. One of my true guilty pleasures -- I love "Pirates of Penzance", but I can't help enjoying this horrible rip-off that was made almost solely to cash in on the success of the version playing on Broadway at the time. It was one of the few things I actually liked Kristy McNichol in, too.

It had its moments. The guy who played the Pirate King had the character down pretty well. I still prefer Kevin Kline though.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
Oh, extra footnote. "Swomi Tift" in GURPS IOU was originally from my online TFOS campaign (see transcripts here)... Walter just decided it was time for her to graduate high school...

You know, I only now realized that "Swomi Tift" is a sorta-Spoonerism of "Tom Swift." I've got to get back to running TFOS. My sense of humor is getting flabby and out of shape.
Ebony the Black Dragon
www.lrgames.com
(and Principal of P.S. 142, F. Krueger Memorial High School. Dedicated to a man who single-handedly clawed his way to the top. Dr. Krueger is available for consultation in the boiler room, by appointment only)
Ebony the Black Dragon

Lurker et al...
Ranma goes to IOU? Woo!
Must... Have... Fic.... *Drool*...
(current email: croaker 'at' rochester 'dot' rr 'dot' com)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Well, Ebony... if you wanted to run it via a ML, I'd be interested in playing. I'd love to get into a TFOS game again, but the only game in this town seems to be d20 AD&D. In fact, I'd be shocked if the locals even knew there was any other game BESIDES AD&D (Not counting CCG's, of course)"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
You know, I only now realized that "Swomi Tift" is a sorta-Spoonerism of "Tom Swift."
Well, she originally was a male character, "Swom Tift" -- and yes, that's exactly where the name came from. (Oh, and she has a saucer with dog-brained autopilot named Labby -- "Swomi Tift and her flying Labby" )
Anyway, I had made mention that the initial party was gender-imbalanced and Walter took it on himself to change Swom to Swomi, and the rest is history. Or metal shop, depending on your schedule.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Lurker et al...
Quote:
Ranma goes to IOU? Woo!
Must... Have... Fic.... *Drool*...
You said that so much more elegantly than I could.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Well, Ebony... if you wanted to run it via a ML, I'd be interested in playing. I'd love to get into a TFOS game again, but the only game in this town seems to be d20 AD&D. In fact, I'd be shocked if the locals even knew there was any other game BESIDES AD&D (Not counting CCG's, of course)
Something to consider, I suppose. It'll require some free time though. You may remember that I had said that I had a writing assignment due about the same time that Bob did (1/31). Well, I'm going on 5 weeks overdue and it's only about halfway finished. This is what happens when someone sets your car on fire. Your plans go out the window.
Ebony the Black Dragon
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon

Quote:
Something to consider, I suppose. It'll require some free time though. You may remember that I had said that I had a writing assignment due about the same time that Bob did (1/31). Well, I'm going on 5 weeks overdue and it's only about halfway finished. This is what happens when someone sets your car on fire. Your plans go out the window.
Actually, I'd say that your plans wound up torched, but that's just cause I'm feeling slightly punny. must be something I ate."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
You may remember that I had said that I had a writing assignment due about the same time that Bob did (1/31). Well, I'm going on 5 weeks overdue and it's only about halfway finished.
Guess what. You're not alone. It would appear I have a post-final draft to compose...
Quote:
This is what happens when someone sets your car on fire.
This is what happens when you're sick and tired of the damn thing, sleep-deprived and rushing against a deadline...
Oh, and two more messages in this thread and we finally displace the old "Sailor Moon" thread as the largest one on the board... woot.
(Whatever the hell "woot" means.)

-- Bob
---------
Re: Ranma/IOU
Well, I must say this... I want to see that Ranma/IOU story. Desperately. I was laughing my head off while reading the description.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Haha! Our evil scheme is revealed!
I'm glad to see that everyone seems to like our plan for Time and Place. Rest assured that we're working on actually getting it -written-.

Little do the fools realize that this is only stage one! Now that they're hooked, we shall invent plausible but continuous reasons why the story hasn't been posted yet until such time that they are little more than our mindless slaves! Then: To Montreal! MWAHAHAHAHA!
*Ahem* Anyway, Sam and I are getting underway on that.

Ciao for now,
Phillip DesJardins, Monkeys With Typewriters Fanfiction Productions
"Damn. I really need to stop doing that." -The Max
Re: Haha! Our evil scheme is revealed!
Quote:
Little do the fools realize that this is only stage one! Now that they're hooked, we shall invent plausible but continuous reasons why the story hasn't been posted yet until such time that they are little more than our mindless slaves! Then: To Montreal! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Not bad. You've got the disdain for lesser minds down, but a true megalomaniacal rant has to end in all caps as you shout your evil plans to anyone willing to listen. It also helps to have the lackey echoing your sentiments with a nice, weasely "Yes, Master." every now and then, but that's not strictly necessary. I give it an 8.5 for expression, and a 7 for technical.
Ebony the Black Dragon
www.lrgames.com
(Occasionally known as the Evil and Insidious Dr. E)
Ebony the Black Dragon

Re: Haha! Our evil scheme is revealed!
Okay, okay, people, we're well off both the original thread topic and the forum topic. But I'm sorta to blame for keeping this going myself. Well, no more. Ranma fics, IOU fics, and Evil genius technical and stylistic support should all be taken to General/General, if you please.
Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
Re: A Really *WRONG* place for a step.
RizelMine. Doug there... well... let's just say it'd be... different. Very *different*.
Que-c'est-que-ce le "Rizelmine"?

-- Bob
---------
RizelMine is an... odd... show. The main character is a 15 year old boy who 'likes older women' (to the point of a fetish). One day, he's confronted by a girl who *INSISTS* she's his wife. ("I'm going to be your new wife, starting today. My name is Rizel.") She even has a marriage certificate, backed by the government (and filled in, by her, in *REALLY* sloppy third-grade handwriting). Then there are her Papas desu (That's what they call themselves, and no, I don't men that they introduce themselves with "Rizel no Papas desu"; I mean that they insist on being addressed with the desu), three Government suits who *INSIST* on Rizel getting what she wants.
Why is the Government going along with Rizel's bit? Well, Rizel is genetically-engineered (exactly *WHAT* she was engineered *FOR* is debatable, although they call her a 'Protoman kid'), and her tears are made of nitroglycerine. Normally this isn't much of a problem, because Rizel is, frankly, a cheery ditz, but whenever her 'husband' rejects her... Of course, her 'husband' *DOES* reject her, rather violently, in fact, but she doesn't mind that ("I got yelled at for the first time... thrown for the first time... and hit for the first time by my husband!"); it's the *EMOTIONAL* rejection that she minds... with rather explosive results.
I can just see it...
Suited security dude type: "So let me get this striaght. You created an artificial girl with explosive tears, then raised her in secret."
Slightly unkempt in that I-have-better-things-to-worry-about-than-looks way weedy reasercher type: "Yes, that's right. My little Rizel is is just a perfect sweetie, though. She's always happy, so you don't have to worry about the tears!"
Suit: "Ah... right. And where is this bundle of cheer just at the moment?"
Labcoat: "Funny you should ask that... "

Okay, so I don't see how it involves Doug much, but that's what immediately pops into my head... epescialy if you take whatsisname the rfanboy from Real Bout High School and age him a bit for the scientist, then have him do the spooky look he uses when someone asks how he gets his information on that last line - the one that is less threatening you that you shouldn't ask that question, and more that he'll explain at great length and detail if you *really* want to know...
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows