Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really *weird* places for a Step...
Re: Back to Yu-Gi-Oh...
Quote:
Far as I can tell, the decks are magical in some way; the magic of the deck and Doug's field interact, reshaping the deck in unexpected ways...
The problem with this, of course, is the fact that the decks in Yugiou aren't magical at all.- "I suppose that, technically, the existance of the Association of Foul Sorcerers is my fault, but, damnit, I was joking when I told them that they should unionize!"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Well, as I said, I am speaking from almost total ignorance. After finishing the first volume of the manga yesterday, I'm still ignorant -- it bears no resemblance to what fragments of the anime I've seen. The manga version of YGO reads more like a high school version of The Twilight Zone than the TV show's Utena Plays Magic: The Gathering.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Quote:
After finishing the first volume of the manga yesterday, I'm still ignorant -- it bears no resemblance to what fragments of the anime I've seen. The manga version of YGO reads more like a high school version of The Twilight Zone than the TV show's Utena Plays Magic: The Gathering.
Right you are. The card game first shows up in volume two ("The Cards With Teeth!") in the story that introduces Seto Kaiba, then again in volume four as Kaiba initiates his revenge plan, an epic storyline that concludes with another card game in (I think) volume six. then it's back to other things for a while. (this whole epic storyline is condensed to the first episode of the dubbed anime.)
Somewhere in here, It became clear to the writer that the fans and the merchandising people both wanted to see more of the collectible card game. (The first animated version had also begun at this point.) So Takahashi-sensei came up with the card game tournament storyline to test the waters (with outs so he could cut it short if it flopped.) The fans loved it, the new version of the TV show was based entirely on the card game, a success story was born.
Takahashi also started several of the character arcs moving forward in this story, notably Yugi/other Yugi's and Jonouchi's.
Unfortunately, this meant that the story was pretty much permanently trapped in CCG territory until the final story arc (which reveals all the secrets of the past, many chapters completely without card games) which just finished in Japan, but won't be appearing in the anime for a while yet, and naturally the dub is another six to twelve months behind.
Future Steps: Sakura Taisen
I haven't seen many suggestions yet were Doug was part of a formal military force. As you have said, Doug is a super hero who believes he is a soldier.
I'd like to suggest Sakura Taisen. It's set in the Taisho Roman (1920's) Japan. You have a military group of 6 women and 1 girl (who has a metagift), tasked to defend Tokyo from demonic beings. And led by 1 naval officer (ensign at the beginning) who is a man. The head of the organization is a lieutenant general. Their civilian cover is a theatrical group. Their theater is their base of operations. And they use steam-powered mecha called "kobous" in the course of their sorties.
Supposedly only women had been found to have the ability to "harness" the spirit crystal that powers the kobous. Ensign Ogami (the leader) being the rare exception. Be interesting if Doug can do the same.
The anime started as a game in Japan and has gone thru 5 editions so far. ADV released the TV series and the OAV's. I do believe the movie was released last year.
For those interested:
www.12-to-midnight.com/Sa...Limits.htm
The author has some nice stats on the characters.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Another one
Er... Ordi, thanks to Gryphon's wholesale grab of the Hanagumi into UF, the idea of sending Doug there has all ready been theorised. (Along with how on earth does a koubou work).
It's just a small matter of trying to work out what Doug is going to do once there and for Bob to see the material so he can say yay/nay.
ADV has released the 2 OVA series and is releasing the TV series, but it's Pioneer that's doing the movie for this year.
--Rod.H
Other odd ones
I'm surprised about the comments vis Spider and Callahan's. Literally a couple of decades ago I mentioned to him that I had an idea for a short "The last Callahan's story" and his (verbal) reply was "go ahead and write it." Of course, that was a long time ago and he didn't say anything about actually publishing it.
As for odd places for Doug, how about the DR. SLUMP universe? Dating back over twenty years and covering over 200 episodes, this insane show seems tailor-made for the Loon.
By the guy who subsequently gave us the [to my mind] inferior DRAGONBALL series, this is the tale of an eccentric (not to mention lecherous) genius, his little girl and the people around them.
Oh, about that "little girl"? Although she appears to be a precocious eight-year-old with all the bouncy joie de vivre of such a kid, she's really his finest creation, a robot which could easily drop-kick their house into the next county. In other words, playing 'tag' with her can have unpleasant results unless you're in really tough battle armour.
I imagine Slump and his wife heading off for a second honeymoon and letting poor Doug trying to ride herd over Arale-chan while the usual cast of characters cause their typical mayhem.
If a universe where some buildings look like giant BIC lighters and guest stars include a blond Mr. Spock, Superman as a used tire salesman, and Dirty Harry as a barber isn't weird enough to justify the Loon's interest, I don't know what is.
Lastly - TRANSFORMERS? Gave up on it early in the original comic/anime run. Here we have these powerful robots armed with various horribly lethal weapons, yet they never seem to be able to so much as scratch each other's paint? What is this, anime A-TEAM?
Heh
Hmmm..gotta revisit UF then. The only character I saw there was Kanna.
You have to admit...sending Doug to a ST dimension is appealing.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Heh
Re: Callahan's
I've sent a question about this to Spider through his publisher. The publisher gave me a preliminary response of (paraphrased) "yeah, no problem, just give Spider his props". It could be Spider himself has changed his position. In my copy of The Callahan Chronicles omnibus he seems to be gung-ho about fanfiction, so we'll see.

OTOH, you could always do one of Piers Anthony's works. He's given carte blanche under those terms. --
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Sure, but why *bother* doing Piers Anthony settings? Once he gets a successful setting formula, he turns out sity bazillion profics in it himself.
- CD, not a fan
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Eh. I like some of his stuff:
Robot Adept
Incarnations of Immortality
Dragons Gold, Serpent's Silver, Chimera's Copper... (don't remember series name)
Hell, even Xanth isn't bad for the first 10 books or so.
I was going to do a God's Toychest tidbit from Robot Adept.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
I rather like the Incarnations series, all of it, in fact(a lot of people I've met only like the first five, but of them all, 5 and 6 are my favorites. 7 has a special place for the sheer gall of what Satan perpertrates at Nox's behest.) It would definitely be an interesting place for Doug to show up in, if he got dropped somewhere in the middle of the Big Struggle against Satan.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Re: other places...
RMH said:
Quote:
The Castle Perilous series by John deChancie
I remember reading at least one book in this series long ago... I don't think you're the first to suggest it, either. It's certainly an idea to keep in mind, but I'd want to refresh myself on the books first.

-- Bob
---------
Aleh said:
Quote:
The problem with this, of course, is the fact that the decks in Yugiou aren't magical at all.
Well, like I said, I'm operating from near-total ignorance.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Future Steps: Sakura Taisen
ordnance11 said:
Quote:
I'd like to suggest Sakura Taisen.
Actually, Sakura Taisen/Wars has been on my short list of "not definite but would love to do" for almost a year now. The working title of the Step is "Nine Flowers and A Weed", and it's currently got a couple of nice crunchy bits but insufficient plot to support them.
As for my exposure, I own OVA series 1 and 2, and the movie, and about umpty-zillion different MP3s of the theme song. I don't have the TV series yet, but it's only a matter of time.
Oh, and thanks for the link; I'm going to have to check that out.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Another one
RodH said:
Quote:
It's just a small matter of trying to work out what Doug is going to do once there
Quote:
Yup.
Quote:
and for Bob to see the material so he

Oh, I've seen a fair amount, and it's a qualified yea. I've been a Sakura Wars fan for a couple years now.
Quote:
it's Pioneer that's doing the movie
The movie is out, has been for a few months, but it's not all that great. Pioneer's cast is relatively lackluster -- none of the interesting accents or great performances that distinguish the OVA cast -- and although visually it's beautiful, the plot is a little blah.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Other odd ones
The StarWolf said:
Quote:
As for odd places for Doug, how about the DR. SLUMP universe?
I've never heard of it. More research...
Quote:
TRANSFORMERS?
Sorry, not to my taste, despite everything Offsides, Talienas, Ed Becerra and UF has been trying.

-- Bob
---------
ordnance11 said:
Quote:
Hmmm..gotta revisit UF then. The only character I saw there was Kanna.
Leaving out Aegis Florea -- which has everyone -- there's Sumire Kanzaki and her movie studio, Sakura Shinguji offering Gryphon her "cabin" for his retreat after Kei's disappearance, and Mimi Shinguji (Sakura and Ohgami's daughter), just to name a few off the top of my head.

-- Bob
---------
jpub said:
Quote:
OTOH, you could always do one of Piers Anthony's works.
Well, there is the Xanth fragment on the Fanfic^2 page...

-- Bob
---------
Sakura Wars
If I recall correctly, there's a games emporium in the Umeda district of Osaka which had a SAKURA WARS boutique. All SAKURA WARS stuff, all the time. Next to the place with the ferris wheel on top as I recall. Sorry I can't be more exact (place might not even be there a year later anyway) but Japanese ladyfriend was doing to thorough a job of distracting me to pay close attention where we were going.
Future Steps:Sakura Taisen
//As for my exposure, I own OVA series 1 and 2, and the movie, and about umpty-zillion different MP3s of the theme song. I don't have the TV series yet, but it's only a matter of time.//
I managed to download the complete Sakura Taisen Jewel Box collection. OVA3 should be out soon. It's licensed by Funmation. It deals with the events of ST game #3. There's also a feature that deals with Sumire's retirement from the Hanagumi. I believe it's set after St game #4. No idea if it will be released.
//The working title of the Step is "Nine Flowers and A Weed", and it's currently got a couple of nice crunchy bits but insufficient plot to support them. //
Hmmm..sounds like you've tentatively plotted it for the movie timeline..a good choice. That would be before ST game #4, I believe. Now how would Doug react if he met the Baragumi?
Of course, you can set it in the TV series timeline. I'd like to see Doug do a Yoda/Obi Wan scene with Iris!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
More Steps:Full Metal Panic and the Spellsinger Series
Since you mentioned the constant theme of Doug as teacher and mentor, how about Full Metal Panic? The anime has already been released by ADV and season 2 should be coming to the States soon.

I'd like to see Doug's take on Souske Sagara...come to think of it, I'd like to see his reaction on seeing Tessa Tesstarossa .

A non-anime series that would be intriguing would be the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster.
Jonathon Thomas Meriwhether was a college law student/amateur rocker who got pulled into another dimension to save that world from being overun. It seems that he's capable of magic when he sings. A proto-doug?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Future Steps:Sakura Taisen
Quote:
OVA3 should be out soon. It's licensed by Funmation.
Oh, cool. I've been waiting for that ever since I saw the previews at the end of OVA2.
Quote:
Hmmm..sounds like you've tentatively plotted it for the movie timeline
Not precisely; it's more that post-OVA2 was the original inspiration. The movie does appear to be in the same timeline as the OVAs (dunno about the TV series yet), so I guess you're right, but most of my notes predate our purchase of the movie.
Quote:
Of course, you can set it in the TV series timeline. I'd like to see Doug do a Yoda/Obi Wan scene with Iris!
Again, not having the TV show I don't know what special conditions make this especially appropriate, but I was planning on Doug getting closest to Kohran and Iris.

-- Bob
---------
Re: More Steps:Full Metal Panic and the Spellsinger Series
Quote:
Since you mentioned the constant theme of Doug as teacher and mentor, how about Full Metal Panic?
Haven't seen it yet. One night some months back Helen showed it to Peggy while I was gaming with Attila and a friend (we were playing "Black Plague"), but she wasn't able to tell me very much about it at all.
Quote:
A non-anime series that would be intriguing would be the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster.
You're not the first to suggest it, and in truth, Jon-Tom was one of the influences that converged to create Doug, lo these many years ago. Dunno, though. The series just doesn't grab me any more the way it used to in the 80s.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Dr. Slump
>> As for odd places for Doug, how about the DR. SLUMP universe?
> I've never heard of it. More research...
It was an 18-volume manga and a long-running hit TV anime by Akira Toriyama.
The early manga was hilariouns, the spanish dub of the anime seemed lackluster
however.
You can find the first two manga volumes scanlated at :
www.toriyamaworld.com/drslump/
if you want to check it up a bit.
NN
Future Steps: Sakura Taisen
//Not precisely; it's more that post-OVA2 was the original inspiration. The movie does appear to be in the same timeline as the OVAs (dunno about the TV series yet), so I guess you're right, but most of my notes predate our purchase of the movie.//
The TV series takes place in OVA1 timeline. It fleshed out the characters and the main villain. There is one significant difference though.
You may had noticed in OVA1 that in Uemeno Park, they were talking about a girl who single-handedly destroyed a wakaji. That was a reference to Sakura's arrival to Tokyo. I didn't get it until I saw an avi clip of that scene from the game. That scene didn't happen in the TV series.
Your tentative title "Nine Flowers and a Weed" suggests that. If you exclude Ohgami from the group, there's only eight members of the Hanagumi. If you add Rachette Altair, that makes it nine.
Just bear in mind that the Hanagumi visited Ohgami in Paris post OVA2. Things must have been pretty slow for all of them to leave the country. You're talking at least a 3 week trip from Tokyo to Paris by steamer.
Having Doug in Paris..now that has possibilities.
Here's a link to all things Sakura Taisen
www.sakuraarchives.com:82/default.asp
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell