Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love Hina and the AMG step
Suu & Doug
So, OK, yes, there IS a certain character resemblance. But Doug never tried to snack on a friend's pet.
And Heaven help Tamago if Suu gets her inventive paws on some of Doug's tech to use in her next anti-Tamago mech.
Re: Suu & Doug
Quote:
But Doug never tried to snack on a friend's pet.

That you know of.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: Suu & Doug
Starwolf said:
And Heaven help Tamago if Suu gets her inventive paws on some of Doug's tech to use in her next anti-Tamago mech.
dot you pity the rest of the cast as well? or are they just collateral at this point?
"dot you pity the rest of the cast as well? or are they just collateral at this point?"
I pity those who choose to live there about as much as I do those who choose to live in California, in spite of it being the most seismically active area on the continent. They really should know better. Although in Keitarou's case one might make the argument that he's a glutton for punishment. Most people would be somewhere else after the third or fourth time being punched into Near Earth Orbit by one of the Hinata residents.
Of course, that would make for a short manga run.
Re: Suu & Doug and collateral damages
Doug will, of course, be sure that Keitaro's a metahuman. (And he's going to call Naru "The Fist That Walks Like A Girl". Behind her back, of course, he's not stupid.)
As far as tech toys go, Doug's probably going to steal a thing or two from Suu, so think of it as an even exchange. There's some evidence in the manga that she already has a stable and extraordinarily compact gravity technology, given how she makes various mecha-tamas of various sizes fily with obvious means of support or propulsion... so it's more likely she'll hack Doug's grav drive and improve it -- or replace it entirely with something better.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Doug will, of course, be sure that Keitaro's a metahuman. (And he's going to call Naru "The Fist That Walks Like A Girl". Behind her back, of course, he's not stupid.)

Which wouldn't be too far from the truth. Smile The creator of Love HIna, whose name I cannot recall right this second, was interviewed at a Con a year or three ago, and when someone asked how he could survive repeated beatings from Naru without dying, he replied: "He's got an AT field like the Eva's."
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
I think I like this guy.

-- Bob
---------
I think it was Ken akamatsu who did Love Hina.
^_^ at field eh... heh heh so that means he is an angel. that explains a few things Tongue
Well, there's something for DW6: "Attention, Eva pilots -- you are facing the Eleventeenth Angel, codenamed Keitaro."
And of course Asuka takes him out with one shot...

-- Bob
---------
re: Love hina and Mao-chan
One of the scariest things about a Love Hina step is that "Earth
Defender Mao-chan" happens in the LH universe, only some ten
years later: Ken Akamatsu did (at least) the designs for Mao-chan,
the commander is a Naru clone, and in one episode the mission is to
defend the Hinata inn from the aliens' attack.
The scary part is that if Doug missed his timeframe and landed in
EDMc instead of LH, instead of arriving into a wacky but funny place
he might well be stepping into a waking nightmare.
NN
Re: re: Love hina and Mao-chan
Another series I haven't seen; the Hinata Inn episode sounds rather funny, whether they intended it that way or not...

-- Bob
---------
Other Quiet Steps
If you want a really quite step, Ai Yori Aoishi would do just fine. Love Hina for adults. No weird samurai girls, no super turtles. Just one 21 year old guy and 4 women and one girl living with them. Pioneer has it dubbed already. The second season finished in Japan about 6 months ago. The only weirdness would be what Doug brings.

I wouldn't be surprised if Doug goes postal if he ever saw the scars Kaoru Hanabishi's back. I can see him sneaking into the Hanabishi compund and setting a few timed release cannisters of Diethy Zinc around the place for maximum property damage. ^___^
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Other Quiet Steps
hrm maybe as a vacation step where Doug and Maggie go too... and cant help but stir up some mischief?
Well, if you want a quiet step, nothing could beat
"Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou" (or "Yokohama Shopping Trip
Log"). What is it? Well, I think I'll quote a
description I read in a forum:
>It's called "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou." What's it
>about? It's about about gun-carrying robot girls who
>live in a post-apocalyptic future.
>There. I've managed to tell the absolute truth and yet
>completely lie to you at the same time.
>Because YKK takes the usual robot-girls-with-guns
>cliche and takes it in a completely different
>direction. I call it "Waiting for Godot --
>The Anime." If you're looking for exhilarating
>excitement and flying bullets, look elsewhere.
>
>YKK's pacing is... slow. Really... slow. How slow?
>Here'd be a good synopsis for one episode:
>"Alpha, the robot girl who runs Cafe Alpha, has no
>visitors to her shop today. Instead, she makes a
>single cup of coffee for herself.
>Distracted, she makes several mistakes doing so, and
>it is sunset before she finishes. She sips the coffee
>on the veranda, enjoying the sunset."
>
>And now, if you have any sense at all, you're asking,
>"How in the world can you watch THAT?" Well, add in
>some stunningly beautiful artwork, close loving
>relationships between Alpha's small circle of friends,
>subtle philosophical meanderings, and a gentle,
>slow-smouldering yuri romance, and... whoops, pardon
>me, I think I have something in my eye...
>
>ykk.misago.org has the manga, and there's two
>OAV series, the latter not yet finished.
There isn't really much for Doug to do in this world:
I could see him gating into Cafe Alpha, staying there
for a while doing some handywork to pay for his keep,
and then leaving (maybe even using one of Alpha's songs
on the moonharp as a gate song). It would work a soul-
healing kind of step, as that world is totally devoid
of hatred, war and strife.
On the other hand, if he stays too long and delves too
deep, it might leave a bittersweet taste. That's
because after the never-specified-ecological-nuclear-
whatever-apocalypse, mankind is obviously going out
with a whimper, but either nobody notices or they seem
to think that it's not such a big deal anyway. Doug
would probably fell the obligation to do something
about it, but I doubt he could, given that the reasons
for this decline appear to be both ecological and
biological.
NN
Bah. If robots can be built with enough soul powah to enjoy a sunset drinking coffee, who needs humans anyway? We suck so much that's more of a successor race than we deserve.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Other Quiet Steps
Hanukyo Maid Tai: THE harem anime. It's a story of 12 year old Taro Hanaukyo who went to live with his grandfather when his mother died. Only to learn that his grandfather had also passed away, leaving him as heir to Hanukyo estate. Which happens to be one of two richest fortunes in Japan. and staffed by nubile young women. There's only one fly in the ointment. He's allergic to girls!
The only one who can touch him is the chatelaine...Mariel. I can easily see Doug as the grounds keeper of the place. Imagine Tarou's surprise to find out there is one male in the place. Think of the grounds of Buckingham Palace tripled and you have an idea of the scale of the place.

There's the first season which was made by m.o.e-12 episodes and 3 OVA's. There's another season that's being broadcasted right now by geneon?(used to pioneer).
I do have the main theme on file Bob, if you're interested.

www.animenewsnetwork.com/...php?id=505
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
Hanukyo Maid Tai: THE harem anime.
More stuff I haven't heard of before... so what drives the plot? Is it just screwball comedy, or is there more?
Quote:
I do have the main theme on file Bob, if you're interested.
It's hard to say whether or not I'd be interested, Ord, without hearing it first. I've had generally good luck on dl'ing themes from anime I've never seen, so I suppose I'll follow the trend and say, sure, throw it my way. Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
Quiet Steps
My thanks for the tip on YOKOHAMA KAIDASHI KIKOU. I've just gotten through Volume 9. Addictive stuff.
Quote:
More stuff I haven't heard of before... so what drives the plot? Is it just screwball comedy, or is there more?
Well, the subplot is Taro's developing relationship/s with the maids. There's definitely something between him and Mariel, the head maid. There's also a developing bond between him and Konai, the maid head of security. You can tell by the fact that his skin doesn't break into a rash in the presence of Mariel (and that Mariel's touch is the only one who can bring him back to normal after being overexposed to other female flesh). With Konai, there's a scene in the OVA where he was *ahem* physically affected being near Konai in the hot spring they were bathing in (he is a guy after all!)
There's also the antagonist, Rikyu, the female heir to the other rich family. Think Kodachi minus the ribbons and poisons. She was told by her family that in order to attain her inheritance, she has to marry Taro. Which gives her the temper of Akane, if not quite the strenght.
The series does not mention ages for the cast explicitly (which is aggravating). The only clue we have for Taro is that he attends middle school and he's too young to get married.
The only clue for the maids is a scene where Ikuyo (the genius mecha maid) was commenting on Konai's "mature" (i.e. well-developed) looks and Konai's reply that she was the same age as Ikuyo. Which does not tell much since Ikuyo looks like Sora in OMG!
Taro must have an AT field too since he's been punted by Rikyu a couple to times. Only football field length though.

The new series brought by geneon seems to be a bit more romance oriented. They seem to had narrowed the age gap between Taro and Mariel. Too bad they seemed to have gotten rid of Taro's allergic reaction to girls. Great pity that.
The good thing is that they gave the "bed staff" (the triplets) some distinctive personalities unlike the last season.
Notes on the maids mentioned:
Mariel - "warm as a mother, cute as a girl" was Taro's comment on her.
Konai - think Shiroko of Love Hina
Ikuyo - a younger version of Ri Kohran
The M.O.E version never made it here...too ecchi for for release to the U.S, I think. Geneon might release it here though. I do know that English version of the manga is out.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Re: Other Quiet Steps
Thanks for the summary, it sounds quite intriguing.
Quote:
Do you mean Shinobu?
Quote:
Ikuyo - a younger version of Ri Kohran
Your capsule description made me think of Rin-Rin from Sister Princess...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Re: Other Quiet Steps
also my thanks for YOKOHAMA KAIDASHI KIKOU, I finished it the day you linked it, and I'm eagerly waiting for more.. VERY good stuff.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Re: Re:Other Quiet Steps
Quote:
Do you mean Shinobu?
Motoko's older sister...could have sworn her name was Shiroko
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
No, you're right -- I forgot about her.

-- Bob
---------
Motokos olders sister... I thought it was Tsuroko.... o.o
I think your right..been over a year since I last saw Love Hina.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell