Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] If somebody's looking for something to write about...

I'll take
  • Proxima Centauri
  • Rigel Kentaurus A
  • Rigel Kentaurus B
  • Barnard's Star
  • Port Luna
  • Tranquility Base National Park
  • VVS Factory Ga-38 (natch)
  • Europa
  • Ganymede
  • Callisto
  • Azkaban Prison
  • Kandor Treaty
  • National Aeronautics and Space Administration
  • Mercury
  • 2700 Baikounr
  • 1 Ceres
  • Nereid
  • Saturn
  • Titan
  • Triton

In addition, I'll see if I can't browbeat KJ into doing some work on Dee, Black Mesa and GLaDOS.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Quote:... the asteroids writeup pages are now completely posted. At least, the ones I'm doing are posted ...
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=238_Hypatia]I lied... but I needed that one to support http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ia_Archive]this article extracted from some October-November 2008 forum posts.

At least I figured out a way to jury-rig a fix around the formatting glitch on the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... lar_System]Places in Fenspace page...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Y'know, I intended to use http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Dee]this page as a threat ("write up your own stuff or your character/ship/whatever will get this treatment from me"), but for her, the writeup's appropriate...
--
Rob Kelk

I'll at least take Solomon Space Agency. I may or may not have started it, but I sure as hell got the ball rolling down the mountain. (Now if only I can get it over the next ridge... Stupid INSURV.)

SSA was on my list, but I don't mind. Whoever gets to it first after fleshing out our respective faction-info pages (Stellvians and Roughriders), then?
--
Rob Kelk

Found and added a placeholder/final Creative Commons pic for the Pinafore

Attribution placed as well as I could figure on the media page.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Rob, I'm willing to make it a collaborative effort anyways. The Roughriders are pretty much paramilitary anyways with a side of NASA-Fen. Noah would probably be doing most of the real business deals with them. I imagine they'd be useful to have around for lifting purposes - with their lightweight orbiters, they're ideal for that sort of thing.
Earth-grown fruits and veggies may have a nice little niche market in Fenspace, and this is to say nothing of the passenger services (not very many of those around still - only two dedicated services last time I checked).
As for the Roughrider's interest in this, it'd be an ideal way to get a satellite facility 'Dane-side - there's a few parties among the 'Danes, I'd imagine, that wouldn't mind purchasing their services for self-defense. They can get into bed with the SSA because 1) the SSA has no qualms against hardtech made with 'Wave-tech, and 2) the locals don't care as long as the rent's paid and the environment is cared for. Plus, having a friendly merc-force on contract and on-base is nice when you have Bosconians, Slavers, and other nastiness running around. (They also get pro-rated lifting services as part of the deal. Wink

Taking a morning off work (rather than lose the leave credits), I've un-stubbed the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ochemistry]Vesta Institute of Biochemistry.

Two down, seventeen-and-a-half to go... (The "half" is SSA, which I'm sharing with BA.)
--
Rob Kelk

Port Luna has been destubbed. One down, 19 to go.

I've finally got my photography nook set up. While testing the setup, I thought that if I took enough photos, at least one of them would turn out well... and I was right. http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Catty_Nebulart]One of them turned out well.

So we're now down to ten missing images:
  • Ga-38.jpg
  • Itsuki Koizumi.jpg
  • Kyon.jpg
  • Mikuru Asahina.jpg
  • Miyu Glear.jpg
  • Nene Romanova.jpg
  • Pegasus Artemis patch.png
  • Ryoko Asakura.jpg
  • Starbase 1.jpg
  • Yuki Nagato.jpg
And my Yuki and Mikuru figures are waiting for me at the photography nook. (They're going to keep waiting until tomorrow.) I can't help with the others, though...
--
Rob Kelk

I think this last hour was the first when three writers were logged on to the FenWiki at the same time...

Lots of updates in the last week - too many to repeat here. http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... &limit=250]Here's the list.

(And I still haven't taken decent photos of Mikuru and Yuki...)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I think this last hour was the first when three writers were logged on to the FenWiki at the same time...
Uh, yeah.

If Feinan is around and reading, could he http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=The_Jason] take a look at this and http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Talk:The_Jason]give his comments please...

(Or, y'know, create an account and sort it out himself. Just suggesting...)

I guess that, if I don't announce what I'm doing in the FenWiki, nobody else does anything. But I didn't do much wikifying over the weekend, so it all works out...

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... nsen-Scott]Helen Swansen-Scott's page is no longer a stub.

I've uploaded the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ing_stats)]White Stallion's gaming stats, essentially "stubbing" an entire subsection of the Gaming section of the FenWiki.

A few more [size=larger]spoilers[/size] related to the Richest S.O.B. in Fenspace have been added to http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Noah_Scott]The Secret History of Noah Scott.

And I added some minor notes to the writeups of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Leda_Swansen]Leda Swansen and http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Kagome_Mishima]Kagome Mishima.
--
Rob Kelk

Say, Rob? Can you do a stub for Mayonaka? You don't even have to throw any details at all in there, just a placeholder is fine until I can get to it.

Dumped a quick placeholder for Mayonaka, and I also added a category for next-gen characters. Only two entries so far, but no doubt there will be more.

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Foundation]Nikaido Foundation un-stubbed. I didn't actually add anything to it - it was fine as it was, with one minor edit and a formatting cleanup.

Edit: More cleanup - everything has a category now (excepting one page and three images), and I changed the references to "Amy McConnell" on two pages to match the references to "Amy O'Connell" on five other pages and two already-existing links to nowhere. (ECSNorway, if I goofed, we can easily change all the O'Connell references to McConnell right now. It'll be more difficult once/if her character page is created.)

Oh, and since over 100 pages linked to it, I created http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Starbase_2]Starbase 2 as a stub. Bob, I think it was you who suggested http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ide#Beyond] Pablo's Cajun Sushi Bar and Hominy House; that "fine dining establishment" still needs a writeup of some sort.
--
Rob Kelk

Yes, it was I, based on an establishment very very briefly glimpsed in the Howard the Duck movie. One of these days in my strangely non-copious free time. (Why, I ask again, do I seem to have less free time now that I'm unemployed than I did while employed?0
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
[RFC] Boskone War
It's not the most wanted page, but it is up there, and considering how important it is to season 1 it should have something up.  I think all the links work as is, but if it gets approved more or less as is, I'll post it and check.
The time line and descriptions are cobbled together from what I can find on the wiki and what I remember from various threads here.

The Boskone War is the name given to the first large scale organized armed conflict in space.  Officially it ran from March 2012 to January 2014This covers [[Season 1] of the Fenspace timeline.. It started when the [[SOS-dan] called [[SOS-Con] to deal with the newly realized threat of organized reavers assaulting Fen outposts and ships towards the [[Main Belt] and ended with the fall of '''Boskone Prime'''.

==History==

The organization and conduct of reaver raids began much earlier than [[SOS-Con] and fragments of the 'original' [[Boskonian] organization survived the official end of the war, though their operations were scaled back both due to lost resources and the desire to avoid [[Great Justice] and the [[Space Patrol].

The [[Crime in Fenspace|boskonian organization] had their origins in both [[Earth]bound organized crime and homegrown Fenish criminals.  The lawless environment of Fenspace seemed to be an ideal place to expand operations into.  However, there really wasn't much to steal or extort from anybody.

This changed with two discoveries.  [[Thionite] was synthesized from the byproducts of several [[Venus Terraforming Project|Venusian terraforming bacteria] and the [[Catgirling Machine] was developed.

The production of an addictive drug, especially one who's production could be completely controlled was of immense interest to the small, but ambitious zwilniks.

While the [[Catgirling Machine] finally offered a solution to a question unethical people had been asking since biomodding had been discovered.  Could you use [[Handwavium|'wavium] to reliably edit a person's mind and body?  Despite the production of Furries, the [[Catgirling Machine] offered the zwilnik's the chance to produce appropriately docile slave women en-mass for various markets on [[Earth].

It was the increased assaults on main belt colonies, gondoliers and mining operations that brought the existence of an organized enemy to the attention of Fenspace in general and the [[SOS-dan] in particular.

The Fenish response, creating [[Great Justice], was initially seen as somewhat laughable and influenced some of the Boskonian Leaders to believe they could conquer Fenspace by shattering the major factions.  This proved harder than they had anticipated, but [[Great Justice|OGJ's] initial ineffectiveness kept their confidence high.

The Fall of [[Crystal Osaka] was one of the major events of the war, and was considered a blow by both sides.  The Fen for the loss of life and the city, the Boskonians for the loss in [[Thionite] production and associated revenue and the loss of several ships and their crews.

The Zwilnik's targeted the [[Main Belt] based factions heavily, as they tend to be the farthest from immediate support.  The [[Pirates], the [[Ninja] and the [[Wizards] all suffered repeated attacks, with the [[Wizards] coming off the worst as they were the least militant of the three.  However, both [[Pirate Island] and [[Hidden Asteroid] came under attack during the war and the [[Ninja] lost a number of genin teams and their instructors early in the war, before they understood the organized threat they were facing.

One of the consequences of the war is the large number of Cat girls among the [[Pirates] and [[Ninja].  However, not every catgirled prisoner recovered enough to be functional, and not all of those who did wanted to go back to their original faction.

The [[Interdimensional Incursion Incident] occurred in May 2013 during the war, and resulted in the creation of what has become known as the [[Whole Fenspace Catalog].  Rumours of the catalog's contents and that a copy would be available at [[Fenspace Convention|Serenity Con] lead to the Boskonians launching a major assault at the [[Fenspace Convention|con].  They had hoped to capture the catalog and decapitate the Fenish leadership by killing the [[Glossary#S|SMOF]'s gathered there.

The attack on [[Fenspace Convention|Serenity Con] was beaten off, though not easily, and [[Great Justice] was reorganized.  The [[Space Patrol] was created and [[Great Justice] was streamlined and made more efficient.

Four months after the [[Fenspace Convention|Serentity Con] attack [[Great Justice|OGJ] and the [[Space Patrol|Patrol's] intelligence services had severely damaged Boskonian operations and located their largest base, Boskone Prime.  They also learned that the [[Boskonian]'s were planning another major strike and were gathering ships.

Fleet Action Attila destroyed the gathered [[Boskonian] fleet and laid siege to Boskone Prime.  The asteroid colony fell to Fenish forces a week later, heralding the end to two years of war.

==Timeline==

''This is by no means complete.''

* '''March 2012''' Several major factions send scouts to the [[Main Belt] to investigate missing ships and rumours from the [[Wizards] and [[Ninja]

* '''May 2012''' [[SOS-con] held at [[Port Phobos], founding of [[Great Justice]

* '''January 9 2013''' The fall of [[Crystal Osaka].

* '''May 2013''' Tensions between the [[SOS-dan] and [[Noah Scott] boil over.  [[Great Justice|OGJ's] headquarters evicted from [[Stellvia].  They re-establish themselves at [[Grover's Corners].  Also includes the [[Interdimensional Incursion Incident] and the creation of the [[Whole Fenspace Catalog].

* '''xxx 2013''' The [[Soviet Air Force] expands in the face of the war, founding their Extra Terrestrial Combat Command (X-COM) and the MARS units.

* '''June 2013''' The [[Soviet Air Force]'s [[Delta Pavonis] expedition departs.

* '''September 2013''' Serenity-con is attacked by reavers, [[Great Justice|OGJ] reorganized, the [[Space Patrol] split off.

* '''January 2014''' Fleet Action Attila, a retaliatory strike against the staging base for the Serentity Con attack, code named Boskone Prime. First instance of the [[Fen Sports#The Port Phobos Invitational|Port Phobos Invitational].

==Fiction==

The Boskone War plays a major role in the following stories:

* [[A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall]

* [[Boarding Action]

* [[Entertaining the troops(%3F)]

* [[Interview with a Zwilnik]

* [[Into the Great Wide Open]

* [[Journeys through tarnished dreams]

* [[Legend of Galactic Girls]

* [[Littlest Gun Bunny]

* [[Raid for Pinky]

* [[Rock 'n Roll Time]

* [[Spider Symposium Briefing]

* [[Untitled MARS adventure 1]

* [[Untitled Schroedinger adventure 1]

* [[With Liberty And Great Justice...]

==Notes==

--
"...as to who I am now, if you're prompted to ask: I'm the ghost of my
future and the sum of my past."
    - Talis Kimberly, Small Mended Corners, Archetype Cafe

Hrm... Have we decided how Boskone Prime's location was determined?

blackaeronaut Wrote:Hrm... Have we decided how Boskone Prime's location was determined?

If I may offer a suggestion, the Banzai Institute maintains one of the most detailed information networks in Fenspace, with the Global Frequency touching on all divisions of society, both on Earth and in space. Add to that the Underspace Network that Buckaroo is a member of, and you have a data gathering and analysis group on par with government intelligence agencies. If the Boskonians are making profit, they have to sell somewhere, and that makes waves. Someone will hear it, and someone will tell someone else, and sooner or later, the Blue Blazers find out. From there, it's a matter of data analysis and statistical projection.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The timeline's off - the Soviets don't leave for DPav until after SerenityCon, which I think we established as being mid-August instead of September.

RE: Boskone War writeup.
Fleet Operation Attila was against Boskone One, not Boskone Prime (See the FenWiki Great Justice page). And it took place two days after the end of Serenity-Con.

RE: Finding Boskone Prime.
I was under the impression that Boskone Prime's location was found when they cracked the records at Boskone Five. Up until that point there wasn't any solid evidence to support "The Black Tower" being a seperate site. Doesn't prevent the Underspace and Global Frequency from having strong hints.

I'm quite literally bouncing a beta sorta-story past Fnord right now which covers the timeline of the latter Boskone War. More news as it happens.

Ok, so Boskone One and Boskone Prime are different places, good to know Smile
Re:  Timeline and Serenity-Con
I found several references to when Serenity-Con occured on the wiki, most were Fall 2013 (including the timeline), one said September and one March so I went with the majority opinion.  Although the timeline also has the Patrol being founded in June 2013 when I could swear I remember it being officialy founded during the reorg of OGJ after the Serenity Con attack...
The Soviet's DPav expedition date, is definitely wrong now that I look at the "Into the Great Wide Open" email exchanges, I can't remember where I found the June 2013 date now.  I don't think I hallucinated it.
--
And you don't think the government lets you buy _real_ tinfoil do you?
-- D.C. Ross, the Monastery.

Quote:Ok, so Boskone One and Boskone Prime are different places, good to know Smile
And I believe neither of those places is the Hell-Hole in Space... but I could be wrong there.
Quote:The Soviet's DPav expedition date, is definitely wrong now that I look at the "Into the Great Wide Open" email exchanges, I can't remember where I found the June 2013 date now. I don't think I hallucinated it.
June 2013 is when Sora transferred from Stellvia to the VVS; that might be what threw you.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:Ok, so Boskone One and Boskone Prime are different places, good to know Smile
And I believe neither of those places is the Hell-Hole in Space... but I could be wrong there.
The list goes as follows (in order of discovery):

Boskone One (codename 'The Farm'): The staging post of the Serenity Valley attack, Boskone Alliance primary transportation hub and major slaver base.
Boskone Two (codename 'Shipwreck Island'): Boskonian Alliance chief shipyards.
Boskone Three (codename 'Greenland'): Chief Thionite production facility.
Boskone Four (codename 'Jusenkyou'): Boskonian Alliance chief R&D base.
Boskone Five (a.k.a. 'The Hell Hole in Space'): Original Boskonain Alliance base, now training base.
Boskone Prime (codename 'The Black Tower'): Boskonian Alliance C&C/Meeting Place/Bolt-Hole/Neutral Ground.

(Theoretically, 2462 Nehalennia is Boskone Six, but someone has to discover that).