Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faction idea

I like the "faction=business if member=employee" suggestion, and nobody's said they don't like it, so I'll run with it... and leave it up to Mal where the VVS get sorted.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The %[link=http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Faction_Guide]Faction Guide] is now re-sorted and back to something resembling a usable state. It still needs work, though; if anyone wants to provide any of the missing "one-line" descriptions, feel free.

The http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Fen_Companies]Fen Companies page (note the new name) is also sorted, and includes the mercs. It still needs work, too.

Edit: Oh, yes - somebody didn't put the Panzer Kunst Gruppe onto the Faction Guide page, adding them only to the navigation box. For now, I've put them under "Other Groups" on the Factions page, but I hope to see them move from there to wherever it is that they belong.

Re-edit: And I have to make sure all the faction pages have the right (new) Category tags attached to them, too...
--
Rob Kelk

I just noticed we have "Quartermass" when the source material has "Quatermass". Is this intentional, or does it need a fix?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That needs a fix. (Could somebody else do that, please? I'm in a hurry...)
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, looks like Mal and I between us got the two pages where it was misspelled.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

And I fixed the redirects once I got home, so I think we're covered.
--
Rob Kelk

Nice work Smile

one thing about 'Companies'... if a company is defined because it has employees (which are hired and payed), then CI is not a company. As always in Fenspace, the categories will have exceptions.

What does "CI" stand for again? In any case, the test is "Is it possible to be a member of the group without actively working for them?". For this purpose, volunteers count as "employees", and an organization composed entirely of volunteers is still a "Company".

But yeah, rules can be bent. In this case, Word of Creator overrides Word of Mod (only since where something is shelved is a very minor thing unlikely to cause anyone problems), which in turn overrides rules-based decisions.

CI is my abbreviation of "Catgirl Industries"... some people use "CGI" too.

Proginoskes Wrote:What does "CI" stand for again?
Configuration Item ... no, wait - that's the ISO 20000 definition.

Catgirl Industries.

Proginoskes Wrote:In any case, the test is "Is it possible to be a member of the group without actively working for them?". For this purpose, volunteers count as "employees", and an organization composed entirely of volunteers is still a "Company".
But yeah, rules can be bent. In this case, Word of Creator overrides Word of Mod (only since where something is shelved is a very minor thing unlikely to cause anyone problems), which in turn overrides rules-based decisions.
Rules can definitely be bent - the two Terraforming Projects are not listed as companies, even though they're the full-time employers of hundreds if not thousands of people.

I went by the group's purpose for the divisions. StellviaCorp is pretty clearly a company - they do business with half the other group in Fenspace and a fair number of groups in the 'Danelaw. The Dandelions aren't a company - what little organization they have is devoted to keeping the lights on at Space Station Three and their other installations. Catgirl Industries comes up with stuff, and makes that stuff available to others. They seem to me like a company, much like the RAND Corporation...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Catgirl Industries comes up with stuff, and makes that stuff available to others. They seem to me like a company, much like the RAND Corporation...
Viewed from the outside they work a lot like a company... it was the catgirls way to begin gathering enough resources to fuel their 'hobby'. The more self-sufficient they will become, the more they will drift away from the pure company image. Have something planned for ~2020, but still a lot of time to get there (too many story plot bunnies in my mind).

I just wanted to mention that Fenspace has a lot of strange border cases, and some of them will change their status with time.

Catgirls Inc. is an example of a commune/employee owned company. While the 'employees' don't get paid, per say, their contributions to the whole keep everyone supported with food, air and caffeine.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Well, I just reformatted the Companies page to have the same formatting as the Factions page. As long as a group isn't a Non-Governmental Organization, we can shift their entry from subsection to subsection on either page without needing to edit the entry.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Well, I just reformatted the Companies page to have the same formatting as the Factions page. As long as a group isn't a Non-Governmental Organization, we can shift their entry from subsection to subsection on either page without needing to edit the entry.
Very good idea.