Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Meta] [RFC] Fenspace 2022, take 2

What if, rather than joining the Convention directly, $minor_country wanted to use Bank of Sol(?) Credits for their official economy? Though I suppose that would just be the Euro all over again. Something along those lines could play a part in that plot, anyway.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

ClassicDrogn Wrote:What if, rather than joining the Convention directly, $minor_country wanted to use Bank of Sol(?) Credits for their official economy? Though I suppose that would just be the Euro all over again. Something along those lines could play a part in that plot, anyway.
It's possible, and it doesn't have to be the Euro all over again. There are a couple-dozen countries that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollarization]use other countries' money in OTL, and in Fenspace http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... d_Go_Round]the Convention is one of them (using the Australian Dollar).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge Wrote:
Ace Dreamer Wrote:If they wanted to go with a waved airframe and a couple of waved-up test engines, I think they could have a demonstrator flying sometime in 2009, if not earlier.  British space fandom would queue-up to help them.
If they want something waved, there is no reason to build something as complicated as SKYLON. You can just wave a 40 tons truck.
They understand how the Skylon works.  They've designed it.  They think they know how to build it.  Waving a 40tn truck is not something they'd even consider.  How does it work?
Quote:
Quote:I could see the British government unofficially asking
Brains to help them, late Summer 2008. If they were happy with him
waving-up an airframe from plywood and mylar, with glued-on ceramic heat
tiles, I doubt it would take him more than a month.
I think we have established that the Earth nations do NOT embrace waved
spaceflight this early... otherwise there wont be much space left for
Fenspace.
I'd agree with you.  So, why doesn't it happen?  Is officialdom scared of using handwavium on that scale?  Have critical staff of "Reaction Engines Ltd" already left for Fenspace?  Has the company relocated to Australia?  L5?
Quote:
Quote:Meanwhile, they could be ordering the real hard-tech
airframe from aircraft manufacturers, and handwaving-up the missing tech
in their helium-pre-cooler. Then reverse-engineering that.
I think you are making this "reverse engineer Handwavium stuff" much too easy.
In this case, not really.  They've already built most of this kit, they know all the theory, they know how it is going to work.  There are just a few niggling engineering details.  Some of which will cause "Of course!" moments when they see how handwavium has done it.
Quote:
Quote:Fuel, load, start proof-of-concept flights. I think you
could pry-loose money from the UK government and the EU by taking a few
official parties into orbit...(I think the design says up to thirty
astronauts.) Pretty sure you could sell them on 4.6hr flights from
Brussels to Sidney, Australia, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_Engines_A2
Yes, but please lets move this closer to Season 2 than Season 0... I
think there is a reason why the current consensus of the early history
of Earth is that the large nations do not use Handwavium that quickly.
Again, I agree with you.  What is stopping even smallish nations like the UK from using handwavium?  There are quite a few amateur engineers and tinkerers in the UK, some of whom have garden sheds, and are not afraid to use them! [grin]
(There's a possibility - waved garden sheds in orbit...)
There are UK businessmen who will weep at the possibilities of handwavium.  Think about "Dragons' Den":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons%27_Den
which started in 2005 in the UK.  By 2007, 2008 at the latest, I'd guarantee there will be loads of proposals involving handwavium.
Should we just say "Dragons' Den" doesn't exist in the Fenspace setting?  Even if it doesn't, isn't the urge still going to be there?
If you want a mad idea, "British Caravan Holidays On The Moon" (you know someone will try it...  Special kiddie space suits...  Free bucket and spade...).
Ignoring business, what are these societies going to be doing in the Fenspace setting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L5_Society
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Space_Society
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_In ... ry_Society
http://www.bis-space.com/
These are the people who have been space advocates, in some cases for more than 70 years...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Rakhasa Wrote:The Hellfire Club, too. Their end goal is for everyone in earth to become fen, but that is for the (really) long range; till then, they would center their efforts in 'danes moving to fenspace and try to keep the muggles distracted.
A possible path may be to emphasize the "fen insanity" -mix cause and effect a bit: Convince everyone that you don't built the fen marvels because you are batshit crazy; you are batshit crazy because you built the fen marvels.
So convincing the governments that using the 'wave for "minor" things (cleaner energy, of enviroment restoration) is safe, but if you try to overachieve you will end up believing you are a Klingon and moving to Mars in a flyiing van.The sensibke (aka, boring) people would try to avoid that, while the ones than would probably end up as fen anyway will not care and continue exploring.
I like this.
But, how do you strike the balance between discouragement, and total moral panic?
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:But, how do you strike the balance between discouragement, and total moral panic?
A proper balance is probably impossible, so some people would be in the moral panic side, and others would not believe a word; the end result still will be restrictions and hesitations, wich would delay 'dane action -and that was the point, after all.
And the best lies do have a grain of truth: A good percentage of Mads were turned (more) insane by the handwavium.
It also can explain the more extreme 'dane anti-fen reactions like Fox news.

Bah, I'd expect Fox News to report such theories as fact without needing any prompting - poking at any minority group they can get away with (fat people, 'deviant' lifestyles, Bronies and otaku, etc.) is almost the entirety of their stock in trade. Grumblemutterpoliticsforumcurse...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Maybe you need some fendane to set up "Fen News", as an entertainment channel, to put over the sort of message Fen think will produce the desired result? Wave-up a brains trust of AIs that try and keep relationships between Fenspace and Mundane Earth on track?

I thought the Fenspace 'Top Gear' episode was a good example of the sort of output you might want...

http://drunkardswalkforum...ear-The-Fenspace-Special

(I went looking for a copy of this in the wiki - but could only find it on the forum.)
--

RE: 'Danelaw govs in space. I did posit, back in http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Curve_2014]this story, that the the UK were trying to launch a station in 2014, but sabotage scuppered those plans for a while. I'd guess they'd have finished all the security sweeps by about 2016 and have HMS Avalon up and in position around 2018.

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:RE: 'Danelaw govs in space. I did posit, back in this story, that the the UK were trying to launch a station in 2014, but sabotage scuppered those plans for a while. I'd guess they'd have finished all the security sweeps by about 2016 and have HMS Avalon up and in position around 2018.
OK, that sounds reasonable.
I think I'm going to claim that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_Engines_Limited
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_In ... ry_Society
get so annoyed by the lack of progress in the UK that they move to Mars, and establish "Spacefleet HQ"  next to "Guestton", named after the "Dan Dare" UK space organisation, and "Hubert Guest", first man (in Dan Dare) to land on Mars.  Quite a lot of British Fen at least want to visit, and some moved there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Dare
After some careful advertising many families of redundant British shipyard, and aerospace, workers moved to Guestton, and while some work locally, some seek employment at Utopia Planitia.  Infrastructure and light industry quickly arrived, and by mid 2010 it is a place most people would be willing to live.  Ex-British Steel workers and miners were also welcome.  Schools and a college were quickly established, as was the (free) Martian Health Service (MHS).
When asked, one new Martian said, "It was either here or Australia, and Mars doesn't have *bleep* stupid immigration rules", as she patted her wife, who appeared to be a dog-girl.  Rumours of a "biomod a bureaucrat on sight" policy are vigorously denied. [grin]
Note that the BIS announced that they were now the "British Interstellar Society" in Spring 2008.  "Interplanetary" was solved, the next target was the stars.
--

.... You know, the idea of a city on Mars where most of the citizens are speaking the Queen's English has a certain appeal to it. Wink

Ace Dreamer Wrote:http://drunkardswalkforum...ear-The-Fenspace-Special

(I went looking for a copy of this in the wiki - but could only find it on the forum.)
I haven't gotten it posted to the wiki yet. I'll probably do that this week.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

blackaeronaut Wrote:.... You know, the idea of a city on Mars where most of the citizens are speaking the Queen's English has a certain appeal to it. Wink
Yay, another reason the Senshi call A.C. 'Sailor Mars'.

blackaeronaut Wrote:.... You know, the idea of a city on Mars where most of the citizens are speaking the Queen's English has a certain appeal to it. Wink
I think they would claim they are a 'town', not a 'city', because they don't have a cathedral:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_statu ... ed_Kingdom
and, they've no intention of letting anyone build one. [grin]
--

Well, I added Spain to the wiki, and while I had the file open, I also added Peru. I also edited the map to change Peru's color.

I'm all in favor of the aforementioned BritPack stuff. Go for it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Since a new settlement on Mars has come up... Does anybody have time to put together a map of the Red Planet, showing where everything is? Here's a public-domain topographic map to get you started.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

After reading the Top Gear special, I just want to say that Seibertron 'wave is NOT that bioactive. You can play with it barehanded all you like, it doesn't fume, and even drinking it only results in 'waving your john within ~24hrs, unless it's been energised/irradiated first or you get into an immanent death situation a biomod could solve. Certain mecha/cyber appreciating segments of the fen saw this as a useful safety feature, and in fact I'm going to say that Nona is actually Maike from the SWtA 1a
--

flashforwards after biomodding herself into a cross between a VF-27 style cyberpilot and a fused on EXGear when being crushed and partially impaled by the cockpit hardware of her VF-2SS triggered her S-wave 'one for the road.' I like the new name better though, so the old file should be edited at some point, though WC won't know she didn't die in that scene untill later.

edit to degauss my speelng.
--

ECSNorway Wrote:I'm all in favor of the aforementioned BritPack stuff. Go for it.
For your hopeful entertainment please see:
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Spacefleet
feedback appreciated.
--

Um, ClassicDrogn? Why do you keep posting in small chunks, when longer posts are fully supported by the system?

because his desktop went pooftered and let out all the magic smoke a while ago, Reducing him to using a PSP to have any sort of net.access.

the short posts are because of something with the PSP software that limits the amount of text he can put in a single post.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

What he said. Believe me, it's even more annoying from this end, particularly because I can't get at my email due to yahoo being mad for scripting.
--

Dec 2, 2021

The cybertronium mecha-broadsword originally built for the reproduction Epyon which made several of the largest breaches in the Crystal Osaka dome, later claimed by Wave Convoy when he defeated that unit and sent it into the Venusian atmosphere but lost in an explosion during the assault on Boskone Prime, crashes into the Crystal Osaka Memorial Sattelite in Venus orbit. After the orbit is stabilised by a Patrol ship on station it is decided to leave it in place, as the blade was firmly
--

embedded in the asteroidal metal that formed the main body of the monument, and had not damaged the plaque listing the names of the deceased, the large 'transparent carbon' gemstone set above it, nor the stationkeeping thusters and interwave memorial site server on the back side.

Old Spacer's tales are already growing up around what's variously known as "Dan's Sword" "the Dansword" "the Damnedsword" and "Dur-Dan-dal" ranging from good or bad or mixed extreme luck to anyone who rubs or ties a ribbon to or
--

applies a few drops of blood or a bottle of alchohol to it, to the person who draws it becoming monarch of a suddenly restored Crystal Osaka, the Senshi, Solar sytem, or even being fated conqueror of the Galaxy. Needless to say, the talk can get pretty wild in certain space bars after the coolant has been flowing.

(Dan Maxwell was the original owner of the unit, having built it with help from the Gnarlycurl crew, but was found dead in his wrecked carmod with no sign of his mecha 5 weeks before the attack)
--