Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stay classy, Catholic Church, stay classy...

Oh hey, since the Church is in bad straights this sounds like an excellent time to compare the increasing secularism of modern society to the rise of Nazisim. Because the problem is atheists.

Quote:Even in our own lifetime, we can
recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that
wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to
many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall
the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the
truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their
lives. As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism
of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God,
religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated
vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the
person and his destiny” (Caritas in Veritate, 29).
Fuck you, Ratzinger.
----------------
Epsilon

Errr.. Does this moron remember a little thing called the Revolutionary War? Happened about 200 years ago or so?
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Quote:Because the problem is atheists.
So, the cumulative "true cause" behind the pedophilia scandal is a secret cabal of Gay Atheist Jewish Teenagers. Or am I forgetting something?
ETA:  Which moron, WG?  I lost my scorecard and can't keep track of the players.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ratzinger
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

This is just painful. I've been trying for two weeks to think of something else to say... but it's just bloody painful. I'm trying to figure out why the church just doesn't seem to get it. It literally seems to me as if they don't understand what's actually happening themselves, or why it won't go away.

The only reason Most of the church hierarchy is best described as... well... old enough to remember when Pontius was a pilot, with many of them having entered the clergy when Latin Rite was still the only Rite. Most of them are in their positions until death, and have been there for decades. That is a massive inertia of thought and opinion...

The character of this was a different in Ireland however.... for one thing, the government colluded with the church to keep it hidden, and a lot of people just turned their back on what rumours and information did leak out. A child comes home to their parents and says a priest did a bad thing, chances are their parents just beat the crap out of them for telling unholy lies about the fine upstanding parish priest, At least in the Irish case, it's wrong to just blame the church... easy for most people here... but wrong.
Yes, most of us have seen it before, but it pretty much sums it up.
http://www.youtube.com/wa...;feature=player_embedded
Dartz, the church does get it.  They just don't care.  They do not have to.  They are ounting on their particular position in society and their legions of arse-kicking sycophants to generate enough white noise to hide the fact that they are still hiding pedophiles, withholding records from investigators and desperately claim some sort of moral authority when then are merely a bunch of lying, criminals.

For the first time, a victim of priestly sex abuse is directly suing the Pope.

-- Bob
---------
More Fun From Belgium
The pope's hand-picked archbishop in Belgium is spouting the standard party line (AIDS is punishment for gays, sexually abusive priests shouldn't be prosecuted, etc.), but the restoration of conservativism within the Belgian church that the Pope intended is not happening.  Instead, Archbishop Andre Leonard appears to be offending just about every Catholic in the country, and even his own spokesman has resigned in protest of his extreme views.  The Church, as it so happens, is reluctantly admitting that they might have a public relations problem with him.

On the bright side, according to the linked article, someone smashed a cherry pie in Leonard's face last week during a church service.  Now that's the kind of religious dispute I can get behind!

-- Bob
---------
Pie in the face
I am rather surprised that they would smash a cherry pie in his face.
Apple would have been more apropos.
The sad part is that his comments and stance are deliberate and calculated;  he appeals to the hard-core supporters and as such, serves the purpose to which he was appointed.
Cynical.  Yes.  Effective.  Sadly so.
Smoking Gun?
A 1997 letter from the Vatican instructing Irish bishops to not report sex abuse cases to the police has been uncovered.  (Article from CBC here.)  And apparently this directive was issued to short-circuit an Irish church program to help police identify pedophile priests.
This letter is being called a "smoking gun" by some observers because it directly refutes Vatican claims that it never instructed bishops or priests to withhold evidence from police.
-- Bob
---------
And The Church's Latest Excuse For Priestly Misconduct Is...
(rolls dice) the 1960s and the Sexual Revolution.
-- Bob
---------

I was wrong earlier. This wasn't even 30 years ago, but ongoing... this is..... this has been out for the last week.

Taoiseachs speech on the report

Vatican rejects report

Bishop slated over sex abuse claims

Monsignor admits to favouring the accused