Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP Reality Show

When was the last time any politician in North America (other than at the municipal level) ran an ad that wasn't attack-based?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

This just in: The governor of Arizona vetoed the bill.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:robkelk wrote:
When was the last time any politician in North America (other than at the municipal level) ran an ad that wasn't attack-based?
There are some, but they're always so vague that all you can tell from them is that so-and-so has a family and likes puppies.
When I lived in California, the attack ads would say things like "vote for Candidate A because Candidate B will do X, Y, and Z if elected." The funny thing is that those ads always made B look better than B's own ads did. Unfortunately they were also always lying.

Thing is, those aren't even the candidate's own ads, but corporate "people" "exercising their first amendment rights."

... I really want to see a frivolous PAC that buys ads of the puppies and kittens variety:

This ad brought to you by People Against Anonymous Attack Ads.

"I'm John Q. Public, and I approved this message."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I just came across a very similar case (albeit much worse subject) where an unusually despicable politician pushes a bill to makes something vile legal when it is in fact already legal, and none of the critics mention that it's already legal.
Begun the GOP Civil War has
http://swampland.time.com/2014/02/28/us ... topstories

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... tbeat.html
It has to be something in the water. Why else does the legislators in Montgomery have bouts of periodic insanity?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell