Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Prudence critiques Rush Limbaugh's apology

You know, this may be a bit off topic, but I'd really like to know what in the blue fuck is going on with the Republican party lately. Did all the higher-up muckety-mucks just wake up one morning and all decide that they were going to be a bunch of misogynist pricks? I ask because a few days ago the Governor of Virginia signed that vaginal probe bill into law. You know, the one that had women frothing at the mouth in Richmond. (Very nice city, just don't go there to stay. Especially if you're a woman.)
Why is the GOP acting like this?
Well based on these two articles:
2012: All or nothing
A party tearing itself apart
The GOP conservative wing saw the election of Obama as a harbinger of demographics. That the white, blue collar, protestant male voter is on it's way to be the minority in this country. So instead of forging coalitions (which I expected them to do after 2008), they have opted for an all or nothing approach. Consider:
1. After the 2010 mid-term elections, the first thing the new GOP legislatures in the South enacted are new voter ID laws that eliminated same day registrations and required 3 forms of ID to register to vote.  The purported purpose was to deter voter fraud. The actual effect was to deter poor black and not to mention Latino voters from voting. And these folks happen to vote for Obama more often than not.
2. In states where there are large Latino populations, the GOP legislatures with majorities or super majorities had drawn up gerrymandered districts to make sure there is no Latino majorities in those districts. Texas is a state that springs to mind where the battle is now on-going.
3. In states where the GOP state legislature has super majorities, they had passed draconian anti-immigration laws. Those are Arizona, Alabama and Georgia. AFAIK, the template for the Arizona and Alabama laws was drafted by one man. Eric Kobach, the secretary of state for Kansas. I suspect there is a national strategy in the conservative wing, that should they win all 3 branches of the government, they attempt to have a national anti-immigration law based on the existing laws in these states. The purpose will be framed as a law and order question. But I suspect, the main reason is to keep the latino vote as low as possible in proportion to the population. Romney would not stand in the way of this, should he win the general election. His "self-deportation" speech is proof of that.
4. Last, but not least. Calls in the GOP for members to have "purity oaths". Purity oaths? Isn't that something the Stalinists or Nazis would do?
It is strange for the GOP to do this because Bush 2 won re-election by
courting the Latino vote. He won 44% of the Latino vote and the GOP
would had benefited from an expanding and conservative bloc. Instead,
the GOP had decided to enact "Juan Crow" laws to keep them down.

I would had expect the GOP to attempt to try and forge a coherent philosophy if they lose 2012, but I guess not.
GOP's plan B: Gridlock
I have a right center political philosophy, but what is happening in the GOP appalls me. A party that is increasingly in the minority with the rest of America is a party with no future.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell