Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Foxboy wrote:
Dartz... I've not felt we've had any good choices nationally in the US for as long as I've been old enough to vote. Or, if we have, they got eliminated early in the primaries.
Consider that anyone entering politics is going to be the subject of attack ads, and anyone actually elected to major office is going to be scrutinized 24x7.

Then consider that anyone entering the business world won't have to put up with either of those conditions, will make more money than the politicians who are at comparable levels of success, and (at the highest levels) will still be as famous as the politicians.

All the good choices are going into business, not politics.
But Rob, had you noted that the upper echelons of most government agencies (in the U.S. at least) are run by a revolving door of business people? Or the civil servants who had gone as high as they could in the bureaucracy, had been inveigled into working for the other side?  I have no problem with people from the outside being appointed politically, as long as they can prove they are a good fit. Dr. David Michaels, the current head of OSHA is one such example. It's when you see a conflict of interest, or worse, a political hack gets appointed.  I point to Michael D. Brown, the head of FEMA during Katrina, as a good example.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Foxboy wroteBig Grinartz... I've not felt we've had any good choices nationally in the US for as long as I've been old enough to vote. Or, if we have, they got eliminated early in the primaries.

Consider that anyone entering politics is going to be the subject of attack ads, and anyone actually elected to major office is going to be scrutinized 24x7.

Then consider that anyone entering the business world won't have to put up with either of those conditions, will make more money than the politicians who are at comparable levels of success, and (at the highest levels) will still be as famous as the politicians.

All the good choices are going into business, not politics.
But Rob, had you noted that the upper echelons of most government agencies (in the U.S. at least) are run by a revolving door of business people? Or the civil servants who had gone as high as they could in the bureaucracy, had been inveigled into working for the other side?  I have no problem with people from the outside being appointed politically, as long as they can prove they are a good fit. Dr. David Michaels, the current head of OSHA is one such example. It's when you see a conflict of interest, or worse, a political hack gets appointed.  I point to Michael D. Brown, the head of FEMA during Katrina, as a good example.
That's a different case - bureaucrats don't have to run for office. The bureaucracy is just another business in that regard, discounting the political appointments.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I always wondered about going into politics and standing for office.

Mind you, I probably wouldn't be that suited for it. I'm not exactly the most gregarious person. But there's a part of me that'd like to think I could at least sit down and try do something, even if independents tend to be that bit naive and gonzo.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... dates.html
Republican on Republican rhetorical violence. Dang, it finally went public.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And with Fox News pandering to Trump in the name of ratings, they will utterly destroy the American public's desire to vote Republican this election cycle.

Bravo.

There was someone on one of the blogs that said he's almost convinced that this is a false flag operation by the DNC. I replied that if it was, he/she/they are political geniuses and I'd shake they hands.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

If that were the case, we should be hearing all kinds of stuff from the Democrat's candidates, but so far there's been little worthy of note.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-el ... te-n388696
How the hell do you caricature and satirize someone who already is a caricature?  SNL and Gary Trudeau would must be gnashing their teeth over this.
Mexican politicians in the Mexican American War used to say that God must be a yankee. Why do I get the feeling that right now he's a Democrat? 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Trump has hit the big time. David Letter came briefly out of retirement to do a new Trump themed  Top Ten List at San Antonio.
To BA:  I'm sorry but the Top Ten List mentioned sending Trump to Texas. Twice.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

TO: The Home Office in Schenectady, NY
FROM: The Texas Bastions of the Democratic Party (San Antonio, DFW, and Austin)

We don't want him. Please keep him in Washington, DC where he can do the least amount of damage.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/d ... 20182.html
An unholy alliance.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

.... d'Oh gawd we're all gonna fukin' die.

Well, rejoice! Trump finally immolated himself.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... ar-AAdbgjc
Funny considering he was a draft dodger during the Vietnam War.
"Trump received several student deferments from Vietnam while in college. After graduating, he received a medical deferment."
Which means his old man paid the family physician stating that sonny boy couldn't serve.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Please, no need to insult actual draft dodgers. At least they had the honesty to run instead of playing games. I'd argue they showed more courage as well, doesn't take much of that to have daddy slip someone some cash. 
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

What LilFluff said. Trump is a "fortunate son," not somebody who had to decide to make a choice on principle or out of fear.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

[img]http://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWbWw4HZx_Qz1lMSmARvXkXz0CFHyjxni2V85KagP2L5luWzg3">
Selling like hotcakes in Mexico
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Snrk!

What would happen if Trump got elected? A Simpson episode "Bart to the Future" 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/t ... l?hp=lc3_4

Quote:In a phone interview on ABC’s “This Week,” the billionaire
businessman-turned-political celebrity said he’d have “no interest” in
running as a third-party candidate if he’s “treated fairly” by the
Republican Party but “would certainly not give that up” if he felt
burned.

“If I’m not treated fairly by the Republican Party, I very
well might consider that,” Trump said, touting his surge in the public
opinion polls to the top of the crowded GOP presidential field.
So what is his definition of fair treatment?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

By all means. Please, split the Republican Vote. I'd much rather have Hillary than the bucketloads of crazy the Republicans are peddling this season.

ordnance11 Wrote:Well, rejoice! Trump finally immolated himself.

This does not, in fact, seem to have bothered a lot of people after all. At least, judging from what I'm hearing on the radio on my way to work, which is admittedly a somewhat random metric, but it sounds like polling backs it up.

I'd really rather the excitement Trump's getting was directed towards someone else, but at least he's not another in the line from a political dynasty. I'd really like to not have one of those.

-Morgan.

Well, what did you guys think of the debate? As a circus, I found it entertaining.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:Morganite wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Well, rejoice! Trump finally immolated himself.

This does not, in fact, seem to have bothered a lot of people after all. At least, judging from what I'm hearing on the radio on my way to work, which is admittedly a somewhat random metric, but it sounds like polling backs it up.

I'd really rather the excitement Trump's getting was directed towards someone else, but at least he's not another in the line from a political dynasty. I'd really like to not have one of those.

-Morgan.
Well, Trump has started a war on women. Not a good idea to start a feud with Megan Kelley and by extension, the GOP and the female half of the electorate. His political adviser quit. So when he does flame out, expect a third party run. Priebus must be sobbing right now.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:Well, Trump has started a war on women.

[Citation needed]

To answer your previous question, I was (as I am during pretty much every interesting televised thing) at work. What I'd heard about the format beforehand made me think it didn't sound very good for actual debating, and nothing I've heard afterwards changes that. Couldn't they have drawn lots to do multiple smaller-group ones as well?

Also, on the way to work this afternoon I heard a recording of Trump's "Yeah, if I don't get the nomination, probably gonna burn the place on my way out" speech.

My opinion of the man has shifted from "ambivalent" to "I don't wanna see his ass on the ballot for dogcatcher, never mind president."

-Morgan.

Quote:Morganite wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Well, Trump has started a war on women.

[Citation needed]
Quote:Donald Trump is once again pushing the limit, bringing Megyn Kelly’s anatomy into a feud that had already opened him to charges of sexism — and the risk of losing support among the Fox News anchor’s rabid following.
After a day of escalating hostility, Trump took his attacks on Kelly to the next level on Friday night, apparently insinuating that the moderator had been menstruating when she questioned him during Thursday’s first Republican debate.
 http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/d ... z3iI7RqNk2
What Trump said would had been insulting to any woman. Plus his misogynistic answers during the debate was something to behold. I can almost swear he has a checklist of what groups to insult. So far he's insulted immigrants, veterans and now women. If the GOP establishment keeps treating him with kid gloves, the impression that his beliefs are the GOP's beliefs. Including the meme that the GOP is waging a "war on women" will only grow. Any hopes of Priebus (head of the GOP National Committee) that this cycle would be not be a repeat of the 2012 primary just went down the tubes. It'll probably be worse.   
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell