Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news

And now Trmps wants a do over. Being a loser is bad enough. A sore loser, though?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Hey, if he loses a few more primaries, maybe he'll finally bow out ...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Nah, then he'll sue everyone who didn't vote for him. Because they were patently unfair to him, like Megan Kelly.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

He'll fire us, too.  Or maybe he'll shoot us on 5th Avenue.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Well, the Trump swagger is back, He won roughly 35% of the vote to win. The establishment candidates that are left are going to be doing the circular firing squad act until until one of them emerges in the establishment lane. It may well be that Trump will be hard to stop at that point.

I am curious about one thing: How many GOP Latinos in Nevada are going to vote for Trump?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And Trump threatens to sue Cruz for not being an American citizen. And for being a liar. Weren't these guys buddy-buddy's before?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And the debate in S.C becomes a brawl. If Trump or Cruz becomes the nominee, expect the a significant chunk of the GOP center (if such an animal exists anymore) to sit this one out.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I'll just leave this link here - the story appears to me to be balanced.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-35607597
--
Rob Kelk

I'm fascinated by the notion that the official leader of one of the world's major religions has no right to say anything (critical) about someone's religious beliefs.  Religion is, after all, what clergymen are supposed to be all about.  
-----

Well, don't forget -- this is Trump we're talking about. He's uniquely privileged and no one is allowed to criticize him on any grounds, because no one has any authority over him in any way.

I am absolutely convinced that if Trump thought he could get away with walking into the White House and declaring himself President by fiat, he'd try it.
-- Bob
---------

Well, if he ever built the Trump hotel in D.C., he can build a tunnel to the White House. But he'd call it the Trump House.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Well, if he ever built the Trump hotel in D.C., he can build a tunnel to the White House. But he'd call it the Trump House.
This suggestion gave me an idea for what Trump is hoping to accomplish by running for President. If he wins, he can just steal any land he wants and give it to himself under eminent domain without having to go through the time and expense of bribing large numbers of local politicians to do it for him like a regular real estate developer.

Quote:khagler wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
This suggestion gave me an idea for what Trump is hoping to accomplish by running for President. If he wins, he can just steal any land he wants and give it to himself under eminent domain without having to go through the time and expense of bribing large numbers of local politicians to do it for him like a regular real estate developer.
For heaven's sake, don't suggest that on an open site, just in case he hasn't already thought of it!
-----

Oh, and I see that Trump has backed off on antagonizing the Pope. Apparently someone on his staff had the brains (or the guts) to tell him he was in the process of guaranteeing every Catholic in the country would vote against him...
-- Bob
---------

More like misdirection. He's saying that the Pope got misrepresented by the media and he hear propaganda from the Mexican government. Besides, Pope Francis is also a Latino, remember? I was waiting for Trump to resurrect the old canard about American Catholics being under control of a foreign power.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, Trump wins in S.C. The big question now is whether who drops out. I'm glad I'm not voting GOP. Whatever the outcome.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:... The big question now is whether who drops out. ...
And the big answer is http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-caro ... -1.3456852]Bush.

Not a surprise, IMHO. From all reports that I've seen, the party faithful have made it clear that they're tired of business-as-usual establishment-backed politics - the only surprise is that it took this long for the business-as-usual establishment-backed candidate to realize that.
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, as I see it, it was the rise of the Tea Party which is going to doom the GOP in it's present form. That and Mitch McConnel'ls (aka Old Snapping Turtle aka OST) decision in 2008 to oppose Obama in everything. The establishment GOP's cynical decision to co-opt the Tea Party was an opportunistic one. That and the decision to gerrymander the districts into "safe" GOP strongholds. What they didn't take into account was that the only way for an "establishment" type to win was to move even further to the "right" than his TP opponent. The only place it hasn't happened IRC is in California. Because there's a non partisan commission that makes the changes, not a partisan assembly. So in effect, only the "true believers" matter and doesn't matter if what they believe in is dead wrong.

Which may explain in part McConnell's intransigence. If he wants to get re-elected, he has to show that he is willing to oppose and obstruct Obama on everything. If Obama says the world is round, he'll say he lies and takes the opposite view. Note that on the ACA, the GOP hasn't propose a plan to replace it that is just as or more effective. What they really propose is the healthcare situation antebellum.

The funny thing about the TP types I encountered is that when I ask what the solutions are there, they shut up screw their faces up, scowl and repeat their complaints. Fine thing to bring down the system. What do you propose to replace it that is better?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And now Trump says Rubio is also ineligible to be president.. What the heck is he trying to do? Sue all of his major competitors on grounds they're not U.S. Citizens. It might hold water (big maybe) for Cruz. Not for Rubio.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

No, you don't understand -- the only genuine U.S. citizen is Trump. He's the only one who qualifies by his standards, therefore he should be president by default.
-- Bob
---------

So... Trump's mother was born in Scotland... and he's applying %[link=http://allthetropes.org/wiki/No_True_Scotsman]the No True Scotsman fallacy] to his opponents.

I suppose there's something to be said for consistency.

EDIT: Somewhat tangentially, http://cbiftrumpwins.com/#intro]I'll just leave this here.
RE-EDIT: Aww, they changed the page. But the site name should tell you what used to be written there.
--
Rob Kelk

Do you know if there's ever been a ruling on whether someone born by cesarean section would be eligible to become president?

Well, Trump wins Nevada. But the GOP establishment from McConnel on down seems to be dismissing the possibility of him become their nominee. As it stands now I see 3 possibilities

1. Trump wins the nominaition. Watch the GOP leadership run around like headless chickens.

2. Trump comes close to the magic number, but falls short. Watch for the chaos of a brokered convention. Trump wins the nomination.

3. Same scenario as above, Trump doesn't get the nomination. Trump decides he's being treated unfairly and mounts a 3rd party campaign.

Either way, the GOP leadership will running around like headless chickens
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

There's something I'm wondering about Ted Cruz. He had bear hugged Trump since July of last year until Iowa when both of them went at each other. Cruz must had thought he can take over Trump's supporters when he flames out. Instead, it's going the other way. Cruz's supporters are going to Trump. So now where at a point where a Trump contender would have to emerge to have a hope of slowing him down. Those would either be Cruz or Rubio. The GOP establishment is coalescing around Rubio, though with Kasich still in it's going to dilute the lane. Cruz, OTOH, has no crossover appeal. He already burned his bridges with the establishment. What I seem him doing is playing the role of spoiler for Trump. In a 3 man race, Trump is almost certain to win the nomination. He doesn't need a 50 percent plus 1 to win the nomination. Cruz is still young. He can wait out  4 years of a Trump administration and be the number one contender in a divided primary in 2020.
Of course, the downside would be how much damage a Trump presidency would be. We'll know at the debate, depending on whether Rubio and Cruz gang up on Trump or go after each other. 

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I've been wondering why some of the pundits that it might be too late to stop Trump after Super Tuesday. Did a little digging and found out why. It's the way the GOP scheduled this cycle's nominating mechanism. After the 2012 debacle where Romney won after a being the last man standing, the GOP remade the rules so that a clear winner would show up way before the convention in order to start the general election campaign early. Also to prevent states from starting to rush their nomination dates earlier and earlier. The GOP made March 15 as the cut off point. Any primary or caucus before that results in delegates being awarded proportionally. On or after March 15 becomes winner take all. So Trump just has to win the most votes (not the50 percent plus 1) to get all the delegates of a state primary/caucus come March 15.

So it looks right now, Rubio's (establishment) plan is to keep Trump from garnering sufficient votes to clinch the nomination and fight it out on the convention. The downside to that is that Trump declares he has been cheated and does a 3rd party run. As a matter of fact a GOP think tank has commissioned a study on how it can be done. Whether it's for an establish candidate or for Trump, the article didn't say. We'll know one way  or the other come March 15.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell