Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" Step(s)
Transplant them jokes
Quote:
"Darkness in the morning
Shadows on the land
Certain individuals
Aren't sticking to the plan." -- Warren Zevon

It occurs to me that this song, or at least this quote, would do just as well in Angel Baby, after Doug's had some time to corrupt some innocent minds. Or something like that.
- CD, whose own notion of a good eva fic to write is to crash the continuity into a few others, and end up replacing about half the cast with other anime ccharacters. No, I don't like the original much.
Re: Possible Title
Quote:
"Buffered Solution - NOT!"
Huh. I like it.
Quote:
Also, the Buffyverse seems to be somewhere that is highly resistant to long term solutions...
It seems to me that next week they're going to have a long-term solution of some kind...
And note also, after next week, Buffy is no longer a live franchise by my definition... This Step may yet reactivate.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Transplant them jokes
Quote:
It occurs to me that this song, or at least this quote, would do just as well in Angel Baby, after Doug's had some time to corrupt some innocent minds. Or something like that.
You've got a point there. I'll have to add it to DW6's quotelist.
Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Vaguely connected...
One could have it that a British equivalent of the Initiative exists. Only, in keeping with the fact that England is a much older country than the USA, they've been around a while.
Their proper title is The Royal Order of the Protestant Knights of Her Elite and Loyal Legion of Supernatural and Immortal Night Guards.
Better known as HELLSING.
Blessed be.
-n
(Scanslations have me on a bit of a kick, you see.)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I must say I do find this encouraging...
I have opinions about BtVS, such as in the history of the Slayer it is unlikely that this is the first time one has had a close knit group of companions, but...
And, that the martial arts is a sort of visual metaphor for what the characters in the story see (similar to how in some cartoons it is clear the audience are seeing something different from the characters, like a credible disguise), but...
This has nothing to do with how I think Doug's powers mesh in an interesting way with the world, reliable magic for one thing, without too much of a downside, and his attitude and beliefs seem somewhat contrary to how the world seems to want people to treat it seriously, which I think is one reason why Buffy and co work so well.
So, maybe it is not quite a Dead Parrot! [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Re^2: Possible Title
Hang on a sec, that might work, up till when you see the vampires, Hellsing's and Buffy's vamps are different varieties, plus Dracula's either dusted or not in Buffy-land and the serious implying is that Alucard is Dracula in Hellsing-ville.
But hey, another thing to put in the Watcher Council's face is a plus in my book.
--Rod.H
Currently WMPin': Elvis: 30 #1 Hits
"I'm almost a Presleyterian"
Re: Re^2: Possible Title
Quote:
plus Dracula's either dusted or not in Buffy-land
Dracula does exist in the Buffy world, and he's not dusted. In fact, he can't be dusted -- permanently. He appeared in an episode two years ago or so, and it turns out he's some kind of anomaly among vampires -- a stake will dust him, but he'll reconstitute in a couple of minutes, he has mind control and shapeshifting powers and can walk in the sun. Spike thinks he's an effeminate poser and claims Drac's tricks are just that -- something any vampire could learn if he wanted to teach them. But he doesn't.
Weirdly enough, the Buffyverse has Dracula movies -- and the "real" Dracula matches his press, more or less. "I've seen all your movies, I know your tricks," Buffy announces the second time she stakes him in as many minutes.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Dracula does exist in the Buffy world, and he's not dusted. In fact, he can't be dusted -- permanently. He appeared in an episode two years ago or so, and it turns out he's some kind of anomaly among vampires -- a stake will dust him, but he'll reconstitute in a couple of minutes, he has mind control and shapeshifting powers and can walk in the sun. Spike thinks he's an effeminate poser and claims Drac's tricks are just that -- something any vampire could learn if he wanted to teach them. But he doesn't.
Quote:
Weirdly enough, the Buffyverse has Dracula movies -- and the "real" Dracula matches his press, more or less. "I've seen all your movies, I know your tricks," Buffy announces the second time she stakes him in as many minutes.
Integra: Alucard, go and investigate. Do not threaten, and do not reveal yourself.
Alucard: *smirk*
Spike: Ya poser!
Alucard: *smirk*
Buffy: I've seen all your movies, I know your tricks.
Alucard: *poof* *five minutes pass* *smirk*
Integra: Well?
Alucard: Interesting girl. Wonderful sense of humor. Could be useful.

In short, Dracula acted like an effeminate poser because he was under orders to.
As -we've- seen, he's anything but a poser. -Bored-, on the other hand, seems to be his major driving force.
Or, I don't see where the -existence- of one type of vamp is contraindicated by the other - just look at how much alike all the various anteating critters are. Obviously, Buffy-style vamps, being actually low level demons, are attracted to the Hellmouth, and Hellsing-types don't give a damn and hence have the good sense to stay away. The Dracula we saw in Buffy -was- a poser, who Alucard tolerated because it amused him to.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Hmm. Interesting. I'd have to watch Hellsing to be able to comment more than that.

-- Bob
---------

I highly recommend it - there are some facepalm worthy stupidities in it (I can't find a Trope for it, but there's at least one point where I had to
look away, the stupidity of those punk vamp kids was just too embarrassing), especially if you can get Hellsing Ultimate, which is more 'localized'
than a normal dub, and, surprise - they did a good job on it.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Note that there are five and a half years between those last two messages. In that time I've managed to see some Hellsing.
-- Bob
---------

holy thread necromancy!

sorry about that, My Bad
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Considering the series Looney's landing in, how can Necrothredia be considered any more unusuall than any other form of undead?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Since this thread was kind nercoed once I thought I'd add in a side note to something I noticed on this, in part because it'll nag me if I don't.
In the episode with Dracula Spike specifically states that the reason the Dracula books and movies exist in the Buffyverse is simple. Buffyverse Dracula is an
Explitive. The first thing he did after gaining his spiffy new immunities to traditional vampire weaknesses was to commision the Dracula novel... because its
funny... and looks even more cool and horrifing when he blows them off. Spike hates him for it... and the money he owes Spike. Its aluded to that the reason
modern society believes vampires to be fictional is the result of an active campaign on the vampire's side/behalf to convince the world they are fictional.
Something about a widely read novel listing all their weaknesses and how to exploit them.

The whole veil in the Buffyverse may be in large part the fall out of that single book.

Although we won't really be covering those issues, Necratoid, it might amuse you to know that Dracula does indeed make an appearance early in the first
chapter. And in the process we find out what it is he owes 11 quid to Spike for.
-- Bob
---------

It should also be noted that the Dark Horse Comics Buffy comics, which are canon according to Joss Whedon, develop Dracula even further, with Xander spending a
summer as Dracula's manservant and Dracula coming off as a "mostly harmless" sort of personality. Inhuman, evil, and vampiric, but not prone to
trying to take over the world or wreaking havoc beyond his little patch of the Carpathians. All of the development is post-Glory, so it probably won't
matter.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Neither Helen nor I have had the opportunity to read more than a few pages of "Season 8", so we're not able to include any information therein in
our work on DW13.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Although we won't really be covering those issues, Necratoid, it might amuse you to know that Dracula does indeed make an appearance early in the first
chapter. And in the process we find out what it is he owes 11 quid to Spike for.
IDW did a five issue Spike vs. Dracula mini-series that answered the 11 quid question. Spike paid 11 quid for a signed copy of Dracula (Drusilla
wanted it), and Dracula wound up destroying the book. Spike spends each of their meetings afterwards trying to get reimbursed for the 11 quid that he paid for
the book. The final punchline is that Dracula eventually gets tired of dealing with Spike and decides to pay him off by throwing enough money at him to cover
the original cost (while ranting that a signed first edition would now be worth a lot more than 11 quid), but since this is shortly after Spike wound up at
Wolfram and Hart, he is incorporeal and thus can't touch the money that is lying there in the street at his feet.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Ah. Helen must have seen that, because that's what she included (well, not the W&H stuff, but yeah). Oh well, and here I thought it was just a cool
idea on her part.
-- Bob
---------