Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gah. Potter Plot Bunny.
Re: hmmm.
Another good bit I thought up from that bunny:
Dear Jimmy boy would also be giving lectures. One of which, is why the Founders of Hogwarts were really quite idiotic when the formed the Houses.
The idea is that if you look at the virtues of each house: Bravery, chivalry, and honour; hard work, loyalty, fairness; intelligence, knowledge; and finally ambition, cunning, and exclusivity; then you get a very clear picture of where all the less desirable elements will go even before the names and/or reputation come in. G, R, and H all prize characteristics that are known to be *virtues*, whereas S prizes ones that are in two cases known *vices*, and the last a virtue that has a sinister reputation among Western culture.
With a basis like that, no wonder everyone things the S house is full of evil gits.
---
Of course, after doing that little rant in my head, I realized it would be me using a character as an authorial voice for a bit of personal philosophy, and decided to pass.

I do wonder, though, if JKR actually thought of that when she designed the houses. Probably not.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Re: hmmm.
Quote:
I do wonder, though, if JKR actually thought of that when she designed the houses. Probably not.
There was almost certainly supposed to be more to it, although I'm not sure what. I recall the Sorting Hat saying (I forget in which book) that Godric and Salazar were best friends before the founding of Hogwarts, so presumably Slytherin had some virtues the others appreciated. Or maybe they just realized that, if you're going to keep wizards secret, you need people who are good at doing sneaky.
On another note:
"Do you know, Prime Minister, in dealing with these 'wizards', I believe it's time we take a leaf from the Americans' book. They have a superb program called 'Project Wideawake'."
(That's not a quote from a fic; it's a quote from a very nasty portion of my mind.)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Gah. Potter Plot Bunny.
Quote:
Didn't somebody do a Buffy crossover along a similar theme? Titled 'The Muggle Way'?
The Muggle Way certainly includes aspects of that, in that the UK government does get fed up with the Wizarding World not policing itself adequately, but it goes in a rather different direction than what Chris was proposing.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
I rather fancy Old Soldiers, for which I have no link, for an angle closer to that - Harry is the one who gets right fed up with things, then discovers that a lot of squibs have served in Her Majesty's Armed Forces over the years and due to wizard lifespans even without the magic are still largely fit. He meets some. They discuss things. They get in touch with the department of the Muggle government nominally in charge of wizard relations, and discover that the whole return-of-Death-Eaters thing is news to them, let alone Moldyshorts. The old soldiers are signed back up, officially a display regiment for parades and such, actually tasked with Solving the Problem, with Harry as Major and a few career Sergeants to gently suggest orders he might give and so on.
Damn, I'd like to find a link back to that. 'S probably updated by now.
- CD has A Thing about using the words "I wish" unless he'd really use a wish for thatSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Old Soldiers Never Die by Rorschach's Blot can be found here. He finished it just a couple weeks ago.

-- Bob
---------
... and I am so glad I reloaded the forum before going to page through the gargantuan updates thread for a link ... Thanks Bob!
- CD
ETA: Kind of wraps up quick, but it's important to know when you've reached the end of the plot and make sure the story ends there too, so I won't complain too much. Lots of Kipling influence in the epilogue,I would say. Anyway, I'm done for the night.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
You're welcome!

-- Bob
---------
It Isn't Magic, It's Scientific?
Here's an idea:
It Isn't Magic, It's Scientific?
That is the phrase on the first page of the pamplhet that comes with the Powerpuff Girls Z soundtrack CD.
The sheer annoyance that the Wizarding World would have with Professor Utonium and the girls with their blatant use of 'magic' powers would be fun to read. Although the Chemical Zeta beam that Utonium created might be able to turn a wizard into a muggle. Him dodged it and ran away from the beam, before Utonium could nail him with it.
Of course with Him/Kare, there could be a running gag using the 'You-know-who' line.
I have no idea if someone will do it or not.--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Re: It Isn't Magic, It's Scientific?
"Yes, this is clear evidence of the involvement of You-Know-Who"
"Err, actually, hate to admit it, I don't. Do you mean Voldemorte, or Kare?"
"SHHHHHHH!"Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: It Isn't Magic, It's Scientific?
Old Soldiers Never Die
Chapter 24: Napalm Sticks to Dementors

I KNEW IT!
Napalm sticks to _everything_, though, so I'm not terribly surprised.. but that's an awesome chapter titleWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979