Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Updates Thread
re:
1) no stinkin' prophecies 16
www.tthfanfic.org/story.p...chapter=16
2) rec: tears in our cheerios
buffy. reduced to 10 years old. in anita's world. cue: mayhem.
www.tthfanfic.org/Story-9...eerios.htm
Sunrise Over Britain...
... has once again updated:
bobmin.fanficauthors.net/Sunrise_Over_Britain/Chapter_14_Healing_Conversations.phpWithout a word...
A Thin Veneer ch. 52
A Thin Veneer ch. 52
A couple of updates
Anyone, Anyone But Me, Chapter 14 "Robert": www.fanfiction.net/s/2467432/14/
Browncoat, Green Eyes, "CHAPTER EIGHTEEN Hot Grenade-Oh": www.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/19/
it's the 1'st
Hybrid Theory has released chapter 24!
So what are you still doing here? go read, it's a good one.
Re: it's the 1'st
liz-marcs.livejournal.com...tml#cutid1
Liz Marc's updated Africander, with a truly hideous twist.
Wow.
Just read through Stone Heart. Thank you for the link, Valles. If it was out there before, I missed it too. Thank you.
*ecstatic spasm*
Quote:
liz-marcs.livejournal.com...tml#cutid1
Liz Marc's updated Africander, with a truly hideous twist.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
space
I've always hated the idea that empowering all the potentials was the First's plan all along and they fell into his trap. Partially because it destroys the whole point of the series, but al because I first ran into the idea on a forum dedicated the the RPG, and regard it as evidence that the GM is a killer who will fall in love with his NPCs and their plots and never let the players win.
I've always hated the idea that empowering all the potentials was the First's plan all along and they fell into his trap. Partially because it destroys the whole point of the series
That depends what you think the point of the series was. If it's that even the most unlikely people can fight evil, there's no contradiction.
Tricking the heroes into doing your work is a classic technique for villains. The possibility that the First did so has to be considered. If you don't, if you close your eyes to the possibility that you were fooled, then you are guilty of hubris. Similarly, evil is well known for evading death, and it is a master of lies. Assuming the First is gone is folly bordering on hubris, no matter how strong the evidence appears.
If the First isn't gone then logically just as it got stronger when they brought Buffy back to keep the balance so empowering all the slayers should make it stronger still, one way or another.
While the idea that the First tricked Buffy and Co does run counter to some aspects and themes of the show, it is entirely in accordance with other aspects and themes of the show, making it a very obvious plot for any continuation.
As for the notion that being tricked devalues their sacrifices, which seems to be one of the principle objections raised, that runs counter to my moral axioms - '"It's not about whether you win or lose, but about how you play the game." What matters is doing the best you can under the circumstances, without ever betraying your principles. It doesn't matter if you are tricked or defeated, if all your efforts were in vain, only that you did you could, without thought of the personal cost, which Buffy & co did.
People's Prince
This Tenchi fic finally got a small update.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
I just can't agree with you, Custos, not when anything significant is at stake - when lives are on the line, whether you win or lose not only matters, it is the ONLY thing that matters. Of course, in a BtVS type setting where the options are an eternal stalemate (the oh-so-all-important Balance with a capital B) or annihilation from open war between celestial and infernal powers, with the infernals making the first grab, the only way to a real win scenario would be to entirely seal anything supernatural, of any origin... which leaves you in a world like ours, which is its own kind of lose scenario, but at least we're not two-legged snack packs and have some claim to self-determination. That gets away form my point, though - a vampire hunter who dies heroically in a doomed battle can't fight any more vampires, and the people killed by the force he didn't stop are just as dead as if he hoofed it and came back with a different plan later.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
If winning is the only thing that matters, then rape, torture, and other atrocities are all justifiable - when they help you win. 'Victory at any price' is a nice slogan, but I say some prices are too high. It is better to lose honourably than to betray your principles, and become as vile as your enemy.
I hope you agree.
(It would be nice if atrocities never helped you win, but I'm not optimistic enough to believe that. Gandhi's policies worked against the British; they would have failed against the Nazis.)
Victory is important, of course, but it is not always attainable. The heroes, in Buffy and other similar tales, will lose some battles, but there's no shame in that. So long as they stay true to their principles, and fight to the last, they will have done all that could be asked of them. If they lost nonetheless, their heroism is not diminished by that loss.
In the Buffy case, they didn't even lose. Maybe their victory wasn't as complete as they thought, but they still averted apocalypse for another year. I suspect most of the Buffyverse would agree that year was worth the sacrifice.
Sealing the magic away does not seem feasible in the Buffyverse. You'd have to abolish ghosts, which means changing the way souls and the afterlife work, an highly ambitious project. I agree the Balance is unattractive, but the alternative is worse. If evil were not constrained by any rules, the resulting total war would indeed lead to the annihillation of humanity.
A perpetual cold war may be the best the Buffyverse can hope for, and rocking the apple-cart an invitation to disaster. It's a fairly grim viewpoint, but one entirely consistent with series continuity.
wuh-oh!
Respect Between Enemies Chapter 45 has one of the subtlest cliffhangers I've ever seen.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Scion of Gryffindor
Chapter 35!
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
The Nighthawk Chronicles
...(mentioned in the "DC Ficcage" thread) just got a new chapter.
-- Bob
---------
Ching Cha-ching
Time Lapse and Revelations both have new chapters
ETA: Uwa! Guardian in Spite of Herself!!
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: Ching Cha-ching
Green eyes, brown coat: Chapter 19: Mel's Dinner
www.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/20/
Re: Ching Cha-ching
www.fanfiction.net/s/2755569/1/
Nine Tailed Serpent, my favorite Naruto AU has updated recently.
Re: New Updates Thread
Marcus Rowland has done a bunch of updates recently:
www.tthfanfic.org/Author-...owland.htm
Including a rare decent Buffy SG-1 crossover and a Superman, Batman & Highlander crossover.
The Eighth Weasley
Chapter 63!
-- Bob
---------
The Notorious Adventures of the Mini!Scoobies
Chapter 20.
-- Bob
---------
www.fanfiction.net/s/2640672/1/
The Terran Jedi Updated today.
www.fanfiction.net/s/2876130/8/
Also Gotham Post
Finally...
It's here. Deeds of Maidenly Unkindness chapter 12.
I think somebody wished that this would be updated a few days ago. Can they wish for more stories as well?
Sunrise
Woot! Sunrise over Britain is updated.
bobmin.fanficauthors.net/...adness.php
The Hunt For Harry Potter, Chapter 2
-- Bob
---------