Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Bang random thought

I was reading through "Dead Bang" again lately, and a piece of irony suddenly struck me (Ow!): when Priss got so angry with Doug because he told her
it was impossible to resurrect Sylvie and Anri, they'd already been resurrected (Yaaaayyyy!). I have to wonder if that point will ever
cross her mind, and how it'll make her feel if it does.

Oh, and if anybody else already brought this up, I apologize, but I didn't see it.

Edit: Another thought struck me about this situation, and this one isn't funny -- or pleasant at all. What's the statute of limitations, if any, on
murder in Japan? By the time Sylvie was killed, she'd murdered I forget how many young women -- and at least one man who was with a victim -- to drain
their blood for Anri. Yes, being created and used as a sexaroid was horrible for them, and they deserved their freedom, etc., but killing people who had, as
far as I know, done her no wrong, simply because she valued Anri's life more than theirs ... I'm sorry, but that is
evil.

Sylvie and Anri were victims of injustice, and Priss grieved for their deaths, but now they've come back, the sun is shining optimistically, and it seems
like everyone in-story has forgotten the people Sylvie murdered for their blood, and the presumed continuing grief of her victim's families. I don't
know what justice is in this case, but I'm fairly sure it isn't simply letting her walk free. What, though, will Priss do if anyone tries to arrest
Sylvie for those murders? What will Leon do?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

The subject of Sylvie's actions is another of those gray areas I alluded to in Leon's conversation with the Knights in Chapter 6. I mean, think about it. Sylvie is guilty of murdering innocents. She also died. By any legal definition, paying for your crimes with your life is considered the end of it. You killed, you're guilty, you died. end of story.
So what happens when someone who died for their crimes is brought back? Are they still guilty? The law says no. But then again, the law never had to deal with artificial people who's memories stayed intact as long as the brain wasn't damaged.
Also, the law when Sylvie committed those crimes was that Sylvie was property. A thing. And things don't commit crimes. They can only void their warranty. If a computer-controlled car suddenly loses control and drives through a crowd of people, it's a horrible thing. You scrap the car. But you don't charge it with murder and sentence it to death. That's just silly.
So there's more of that gray area. Sylvie couldn't be tried for murder because the laws at the time said that she wasn't a person, and thus had no legal liabiilty for her actions. You don't charge a runaway forklift. You scrap it.
The legal system would have no choice in the end but to very quietly sweep it under the carpet if anyone pursued it. They'd probably encourage Sylvie to stay out of sight, maybe give her some pointed advice about finding somewhere else to live. But legally? You can only charge someone for a law after its passed. You can't hold her accountable for actions performed before it became illegal. So no matter how unfair it may seem, no crime was actually committed.
[Edit:] Something else I thought of after writing this. It would never go to court. She was performing those actions while in possession of the DD Battlemover. That weapon, remember, was an illegal device, built by the Generos facility specifically to sell to a proscribed country in the Polar War for some quick, off-the-books cash. The moment she gets associated with it, she'll get an offer from the various international police agencies and governments at the time which police these things. The easiest way to handle the thorny problem of her liability is to offer her a blanket amnesty for things she did at the time, when her personhood was in question.
The reason they'd do this, is because she can provide sworn eyewitness testimony to the deliberate design, production, and intended sale of a tactical battlefield weapon to a proscribed country, which was armed with a strategic thermonuclear failsafe. As far as any government would be concerned, sworn testimony about the Battlemover's construction and sale would be worth an amnesty by the politicos in charge of the country. And her lawyer likely wouldn't settle for any less.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Quote: The easiest way to handle the thorny problem of her liability is to offer her a blanket amnesty for things she did at the time, when her personhood was in
question.
From the point of view of the amoral types who run a government, the easiest way to handle the problem is to arrange tragic fatal accidents for
Sylvie and anyone who seems to be friendly enough to her that she might have mentioned the battlemover to them. You're right; it'd never go to court --
it'd go to the morgue. (Again. And then the crematorium, to make sure it sticks this time.)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

....riiiiiiiiight.

You make your own hats, I take it?
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I think there are other problems there. First sexroids are clearly illegal.... you can't legally make or own one. On Earth... that space station is not
actually part of any country in the first place... so no laws (including international ones apparently) actually matter to them. Its the fact the Battlemover
was on Earth that was the main issue. On the space station it is a grey area as laws tend not to exist there... Technically, if we consider sexroids are
called property at that time... and so was the battlemover... She may be legally responsable for 3 cases of arms smuggling.... if she is not her owners would
be... but they are out of range to laws. You have to own/control an area before you can apply laws to it.

Then you get into the reason she killed people... food. A requirement that was from specific design flaws/measures/etc... built into them in the first place.
Which is Generos and Gemone fault. As she was property and had no free will offically she could argue it was because of something hard coded which no longer
exists. The problem isn't the murders or arms smuggling. The real issue that would get her in trouble (Madigan wouldn't exactly fight against the
executives involved going away, so only random Genome execs and the buyer country would send assassins) is that she is the perfect springboard for getting laws
applied to Generos. Which laws? That is the major sticking point. Who's laws apply here? A specific country (only the really big ones can take a shot
at calling dibs.) No, it'd be like those wiggy 'international waters' rules... questionable, largely ugly to deal with, and just a plain mess.
That is before you go into how far up do a nations borders actaully go rules? Do those borders only go straight up or do they splay out after a certain
distance. Etc.. etc..

So these two random escapy sexroids are political platinum for the one world government, space as a new type of governable area people. Its a
legalistic nightmare wrapped in grandiose agendas, wrapped in grey areas, wrapped in the extraterrestrial future of mankind. The problem isn't then that
the Execs and Buyer nation are sending assassins... its that assassins and counter assassins globally are going to swarm like maggots in a corpse. It will be
espionage bedlam. Pure chaotic, unofficial bedlam.

And probably why it'll never get to that point. Sylia can see that kind of nightmare happening clearly, and would help the two distance themselves from the
incident. As a favor to Priss if nothing else. The end result would probably involve taking two random deceased boomers from the same time period and altering
certain datafiles so that those other mannequin or sexaroid boomers are the acknowledged individuals responsible for the Battlemover incident.

Generos may know the truth... but they may also not. The DD incident would have resulted in massive shakeups of the senior staff, to divert attention away from
their own operations by laying the blame on certain people. so it may well be the incident has been buried so deep that they would simply accept the
"official" story that the two girls are dead and cremated. It's easier that way. And if the incident never comes up again, everyone profits. And
unless they feel directly and immediately threatened by exposure, you can pretty much count on a giant corporation taking the conservative "do
nothing" approach. It costs the least, and returns the greatest long-term benefit if the status quo is maintained.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.