Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual takes on common stories

So, there are a lot of stories out there about how "this happens and this happens and this happens and suddenly Harry has massively powerful allies (often in ways that wizarding Britain is not well-prepared to deal with) who teach him all sorts of things the Dark Lord Knows Not, and Harry is a badass and wins. The End."

So, what's the second *least* likely source for Harry's !New !Powerful allies?

The Dursleys.

The Dursleys have been keeping secrets from... well, basically everyone. Vernon is a spark. Dudley is a spark. Petunia is a competent minion. They have an enormous laboratory in a secret basement under their house, where they've been pursuing SCIENCE! (while keeping a low profile). The time they spend visible to the rest of the world is basically just maintaining a front (with the aid of some reasonably well-built constructs that resemble them well enough). The constructs in turn are desperately keeping the existence of *Harry* from *them* - they accepted him in because they knew that infuriating wizards was bad (Petunia told them), but they also know that they had orders not to let anyone in the house, and if they admit that they actually adopted a kid, then the Masters might get Angry - especially now that they've been keeping him secret for a few years. The constructs weren't created with a whole lot of people skills, and they're terrified that Harry's magic will at some point trigger some piece of sensing equipment in the labs. They lock him int he closet under the stairs because the Masters never go there, and they take their fear out on him. It's all his fault, after all.

Of course, at some point (wherever you want, really) the whole pack of lies comes tumbling down - one of the Masters comes up unannounced, and Hilarity Ensues. After everything calms down again, and the Sparks accept him in (and whatever happens to the constructs... happens) Harry heads back to school with some nifty new sparky devices to play with (after handing off some interesting *magical* devices to play with) ...and Hilarity Ensues.

Of course, the *first* least likely is Umbridge... but good luck on *that* one.

jpub Wrote:Common Story: You've all seen these SI, or even Time Travel Fics where someone comes back to the past, finds a 'good' person in authority, and they work out how to use the info, right?

Unusual Take (well, I haven't seen it): Take your SI, we'll call him... Tim. So, Tim gets dropped into Naruto-verse, with all his knowledge. In Ame. Or Otogakure. Hell how about Iwa, Kumo, or for real fun, Suna, before the invasion?

I always wondered what would happen if a SI was dropped into Naruto in another village, but years before the books, and the SI grew to be loyal to the not-Leaf village. Then the books start happening, and somebody who doesn't have any real loyalty to the Leaf but doesn't want to destroy them knows exactly how to cripple them.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Quote:Of course, the *first* least likely is Umbridge... but good luck on *that* one.
Here you go
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

jpub Wrote:Common Story: You've all seen these SI, or even Time Travel Fics where someone comes back to the past, finds a 'good' person in authority, and they work out how to use the info, right?

Unusual Take (well, I haven't seen it): Take your SI, we'll call him... Tim. So, Tim gets dropped into Naruto-verse, with all his knowledge. In Ame. Or Otogakure. Hell how about Iwa, Kumo, or for real fun, Suna, before the invasion?
Not quite the same thing, but there's at least a few stories where Ranma gets dumped in the Naruto universe after some sort of traumatic event in his own world, lands in the Leaf village, befriends Naruto, etc., etc.
Which lead me to the thought which I'd been toying with for a while, which is that there actually is a character in Naruto who seems to have a habit of taking in lonely, emotionally damaged, potentially powerful ninja, and gaining their loyalty one way or another - Orochimaru.  (Well, Zabuza also, but Orochimaru makes for a more interesting story.  Smile )  And then Ranma could intersect the main Naruto story as either a member of the Sound team at the Chunnin Exams, or as a member of the Sound Five (Six?) later on.
The other way I was thinking of subverting the typical course of the story was to interpret things so Ranma's abilities are not actually particularly impressive in the Naruto world, and Orochimaru's mainly interested in him because of the curse, and because of the strange and unusual nature of his chi abilities (even if they aren't very powerful).  But that might piss off more readers than it interests.  Smile
Actually, that last bit could subvert just about any Ranma crossover, as almost universally he winds up being really good at whatever the combat method of the other show is, or his native abilities are powerful enough to see him through regardless.  It'd be be different to see a crossover where he winds up being horribly outclassed - say, an Eva one where he can barely synch with his Eva.  (The only one I can think of off-hand is one of Fire's Sailor Moon crossovers, where the Ranma cast could only barely survive combat with the Senshi or the monsters-of-the-week.)

Aaron Nowack

anowack Wrote:Actually, that last bit could subvert just about any Ranma crossover, as almost universally he winds up being really good at whatever the combat method of the other show is, or his native abilities are powerful enough to see him through regardless.  It'd be be different to see a crossover where he winds up being horribly outclassed - say, an Eva one where he can barely synch with his Eva.  (The only one I can think of off-hand is one of Fire's Sailor Moon crossovers, where the Ranma cast could only barely survive combat with the Senshi or the monsters-of-the-week.)
There was actually a really well done Eva/Ranma crossover where Ryouga replaced Shinji and was actually a decent pilot. Ranma, however, got to play the role of Touji...
------------------
Epsilon

Epsilon Wrote:There was actually a really well done Eva/Ranma crossover where Ryouga replaced Shinji and was actually a decent pilot. Ranma, however, got to play the role of Touji...
Paradise Lost I think.

----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Quote:So, what's the second *least* likely source for Harry's !New !Powerful allies?
The Dursleys.
Actually, there's a deadfic out there where Petunia turns out to be another person entirely -- Lily's sister, yes, but a completely different person: Holly Evans, witch and undercover auror who while undercover investigating the murder of a young witch by a muggle suffered some kind of head injury and ended up thinking for years she was actually her cover identity and ended up marrying the monster she was pursuing. (looks in "deadfic" bookmark list) Ah, yes, there it is: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2538589/1/H ... _Goodnight]Harry Potter And The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Nothing like your suggestion, which is pretty cool, I might add.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.