Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another New Fic Reccomendation Thread
First Contact
A startrek fiction.
The first couple of chapters are a good read, sadly that is about all there is so far.
forum.spacebattles.com/sh...p?t=114609

howard melton
God bless
Edit: Removed Roll eyes smile. Thats what I get for not checking to make sure it posted correctly
Re: First Contact
trickofthedark.livejourna...31959.html
Harry Potter Grows a Brain - dark AU, Hermione/Dudley (!), pg13/RWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
The first couple of chapters are a good read, sadly that is about all there is so far.
Howard, you need to edit that and re-enter the URL with the proper link mark-up, because ezBoard messed it up.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow
Quote:
Hermione/Dudley
wait what? O_O_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja airstrikes
at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.
Quote:
wait what? O_O
yes, exactly.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Ok...
Now that I've made the mistake of reading this fanfic I'll never be able to read Harry Potter fanfics without having this one pop to my mind...
The author has a depraved and twisted mind IMNSHO...

And what's worse I like it...

WMD
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."
Academy of Super-Heroes (ASH)
This isn't fanfic. It's original fiction, set in an original universe. But I've been reading it for a while, and I believe it really deserves a recommendation.
Quoting from the webpage:-
The Academy of Super-Heroes Universe is an imprint on rec.arts.comics.creative owned and run by Dave Van Domelen. The setting is mostly in the 2020s, a generation after a massive disaster wiped out nearly half of humanity and took with it all but a handful of the world's superhumans.
Link here: ASH Archive
(The host site, www.eyrie.org, has nothing to do with Eyrie Productions, by the way.)
Anyway...the summary is accurate, but it doesn't give the full scope of how incredibly cool this is. The ASH universe has the best explanation for superpowers and super-technology I've ever seen. Period. It's incredibly-freaking-GENIUS. There's writeups about it on their resources page, it's worth taking a look.
The writers also have a good grasp of the ramifications of the whole superhero concept, both with regards to character relationships...the structure of society...and international politics. The latter bits are particularly interesting, since the stories are mostly set in the 2020s. So there's a distinct science fiction (or possibly speculative fiction) edge to things.
Quality of writing is generally high. Heck, exceedingly good. LNH 2023 #0 and #1 are crap, but everything else there is top notch.
They even have a handy "How To Read ASH" guide, explaining the order you should read stuff if you're looking to follow things chronologically ... oooorrr ... directions to reasonably self-contained stories that you can jump straight into.
-- Acyl
...-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
www.fanfiction.net/s/3406522/1/
Odd and cracky fic... but it's a fun read.
Quote:
Hey Aleh, could you maybe add a smidgen more information for that recommendation? I mean, brevity is great and all but an elipsis is taking it a bit far Tongue---------------
-Jon
Being the Mariner hitting coach is like being the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.
-Poster on USSMariner.com
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Re: ...
The consequences of not being polite.
What happens when one pisses off more ruthless students.
Cruel and unusual public humiliation.
I think that about sums it up.
It's not that important, but you might also want to know that any recommendation that consists of only 3 dots gets skipped when I update the off board webpage I've been keeping of the recently recommended fanfics.
I often do the HTML editing(mostly deleting to shorten the entry), while off line and it's easier to delete 3 dots completely than try and follow up the link and find out enough to actually create a searchable recommendation.
howard melton
God bless
re: the ... recommendation: it's a (very) short and somewhat cracky fic about a moment in time of a universe where the part of Harry Potter was played by... someone else.
Guys, it's quite simple:
... = This completely boggles the mind, and has reduced me to a state in which coherent typing is currently impossible. I encourage you to also examine said work, as I believe you may find it a singular experience.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
On the anime addventure, Aleh also often uses an ellipsis to comment on posts that are mind bogglingly bad, so it's not always a good thing.
Like Some Song You Can't Unlearn
Harry Potter fanfic. Not innovative, really, but it handles its cliches with a sort of flair. Time-travel fic, and if I were to write a brief summary it'd likely sound unappealing, but it's kept me amused for a bit. And not just because it had Malfoy Sr. take an assisted flying leap from a balcony a few stories up, though that was certainly part of it.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: Yet Another HP fic
"We are, after all, on the ground floor and the drop from the windows here would pose hardly any danger at all."
Oh god, im still snickering about that one.
Re: Yet Another HP fic
I must say... that Harry Potter fic has style Tongue yes it has the cliches but at the same time its good handling of them [Image: smile.gif]
I think its a bit convenient in some places but strangely still appealing. Tongue_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja airstrikes
at night.
-Same friend.
Kizuna: A girl Naruto but it works out well. I esp. liked how the author has compensated for no Kage Bunshin and no knowledge of the Kyuubi as of yet.
Tempered in Water: Naruto makes the choice a little earlier and it leaves him more icy.--
[Image: honorzk7.jpg]
Thanks to Basaken for the help.
Re: Yet Another Naruto Fic
An ellipsis used like that basically means, "I'm speechless". Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends largely on context.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
This is the latest in a series of "What if Ranma fell into the spring of drowned X" omake.
The others are worth reading, too, even if (or especially because) they're really, really silly (Ryou-chan, Voldemort, Jiraiya...).-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
I was revisiting my favorites list when I found this. Now, I don't know if I've mentioned it here before... but... BWAHAHAHA!-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
Ahh that Ranma fic. I'm still waiting for the explaination damnit! :S_______________________________
at night.
-Same friend.
Chris Dee has released the first chapter of the latest CatTales story, Riddle Me Tropolis.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow
Re: Yet Another New Fic Reccomendation Thread
I personally found this HP/BtVS one-shot to be rather amusing:
When The Student is Ready.
--The Twisted OneMetaphorically
Applause
Underneath
Hilarious
Oxymoron