Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers that shoould be: beginings of Sub Genius

I'll concede your point about the Spacebattles crossover being built in - really, any setting where you have an official military decoration for surviving ground zero of a nuclear or antimatter weapon in a present or near-future setting has the correct attitude to qualify. As for the need to not have been on Darhel radar despite long-term surveillance, well, that's why a round dozen of the suggestions are groups who maintain more or less of an illusion of not existing to the rest of the world. (That's not counting the God Emperor of Man, though I think he stayed low-key for at least a few thousand years too, didn't he?) Admittedly, others on that list, not so much.

And most likely, my DC on Aldenata Earth got et, too. As for the Aldenata themselves, the bits involving them are too few and far between for me to have cared, really. Sure, they left a big mess, but they aren't exaclty around to snack with a rolled up newspaper and make them clean it up, and pointing the finger doesn't help at this late date either. Ultimately, it's not a setting I'm worried about if a fun idea breaks it, because there are few ways to make it worse in the breaking.

- CD, considers Ringo an okay writer when he's got coauthors to keep the gratuitous body count down but not the stuff of legends
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
First come, first...
The Zentraedi arrive on Earth in pursuit of the Super Dimensional Fortress... and find the Human/Autobot Alliance ready and waiting for them.  Mayhem ensues.  Although when the multi-million-ship fleet shows up, even Optimus Prime is going to be given momentary pause....

The BattleStar Galactica and her rag-tag fleet arrive in Earth orbit... to find the remnant of humanity locked in a battle for survival against rogue machines.  Battle carried out mostly within the mental spaces of the Matrix....

Re: Spacebattles, I think you misunderstand.  I chose to misunderstand your original statement.  I figure that the members over the age of seven or so of all internet forums in the here and now can be considered as having counterparts on pre-landing Aldenata Earth.  I also think that, given that the difference between the populations of pre and post war Aldenata Earth closely approximates thresh, attitude and so on and so forth is likely not a magic cure all.
The Aldenata may be still around.
It is in fact very easy to break the setting, and make it worse.  If you deal with the Posleen/Darhel, and do not have a way to do the difficult job of changing Galactic society, you are stuck fighting off the Hedren with the resources Earth can muster on its own.  Yes, Dahakverse tech can probably counter everything the Hedren have, except for the Evil Physics Rape, which might be a problem.  The Galactics, especially with Michelle fostered amoung them, are the big key to the canon counter to Evil Physics Rape.  If alterations cause a worse degree of preparedness for the Hedren, the Hedren likely win, making the setting worse.  Then there is the polity known as 'The Enemy', which is chasing the Hedren.
For me, the core criteria for an Aldenata mod based around Earth include great capacity for secrecy, as you mention, significant intelligence on the galactic and Galactic situations, having the capacity to build significant counters, the ability to hold in reserve the counters that reveal presence until the Darhel organizational warfare can be survived, a reason to act, a reason why the problem wasn't already solved prior to the fanfic story, and most importantly, enough fun and quality to draw the reader in.
Given my understanding of my criteria, I think I know enough about over half of your suggestions to come to some conclusions.  I admit to not knowing enough about twelve of them.
John Ringo is not the writer I follow the most avidly these days, but revisiting my memories to write these posts has reminded me how important his writing is to me.
I think we can agree that there is some good potential for Aldenata crossovers, even if our tastes may differ enough that we disagree over the way to do it best.
As for the subject of this thread, and for lack of ability to properly answer Sirrocco's question some space up, ZNT/Fairy Tail.  I think Louise might be improved by the experience of being dropping into that world, and being a member of Fairy Tail for a time.  I also think that, given recent events in Fairy Tail, there is emotional cause for at least a partial fix fic.

If you're talking about Bahzell Bahnakson, honestly, that world could use a little darkening - particularly towards the end. In the first book, he was desperately fighting for his life, and surviving only because of inner reserves of badass, and it was pretty cool. In the second book, he was on basically even footing with the enemy, and it was okay. In the third book, Bahzell Stu the OP paladin and his mighty also-an-OP-paladin horse just run around gratuitously curbstomping the enemy without any real feeling (to me, anyway) of actual threat. So... what could reasonably show up in that world around book 3 that would kick him back to desperately running for his life again? Possibly play the Samurai Jack thing on him?

Actually, having Samurai Jack summoned back as Louise's familiar (and make it sucked through time, rather than across planets - so Aku is currently building power somewhere) might be fairly entertaining.

CD - with respect to your note on Ringo, I remember feeling pretty much exactly the same way wrt David Weber (except with different flaws countered) just after reading one of the books they coauthored.

I think that the thing with the third Bahzell book is that yeah, he's overwhelmingly strong wherever he can bring that to bear, but the opposition is trying to make it an information war so he's in the wrong place. Of course, it doesn't quite work, and he manages to arrive where need to apply that force in time, but I can see how adding at least one enemy with equivalent battle power to be a boss enemy could make it a more intense conflict. Not sure who would be a good candidate, though. Given that this is a crovvers thread, I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions Wink

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

a) Someone hasn't read Swordbrother.

b) Book three is only part of that particular conflict, which, IIRC may have run into the MWW's issues with word overflow and scheduling of follow on books. Not to mention that other characters were challenged in ways paving the the way for the long promised Kenhoden (sp?) books. (Prior to book three, the plan apparently was for five Bahzell books and five Kenhoden, but I think book three may have been split.)

c) Swordbrother is the obvious crossover point for the Bahzell stories. However, there are several major issues here relating to the Kenhoden books, TPK, breaking Wencit's apparent exploit of the time travel/precog rules, and with the Strictures of Ottovar conflicting with crossover elements.

d) Note that we have seen only Norfressa. The rest of Orfressa (I want to say the name is Kontovar) is apparently ruled by Dark Wizards.

Saying Orfressa is not dark enough strikes me as close to saying that Daniel (I think I have the first name correct) Pinkwater is dull, boring, mundane, and has never written anything at all odd or strange.

If Vathara's Project stories are not in the same universe as her Ruroken Sci Fi 'Walk Through the Valley', I think they should be. However, I don't know about making Hisana and Rukia the Kiryuu alterant daughters of Kenshin and Kaoru, which is something that comes to my mind.

Quote:a) Someone hasn't read Swordbrother.
You are correct sir. I hadn't even heard of Swordbrother, for which I must thank you. I'll have to look up 'Kenhoden' as well, it seems.

- CD
--

To go momentarily off topic: I've been increasingly running across the term "OP", but my google-fu fails me in trying to find out what it means.  From context I might guess "overwhelming power".  I might also guess "Optimus Prime", as in a hero figure who is pretty much in the top tier of every category and has a reserve of deus-ex-machina to pull out when things go totally over the top.  Could someone clue me in on what it actually stands for?
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

It usually means Over Powered, I think.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

It usually means "Over-powered" or "Original Post", and you have to glark from context which it means.

Of course, the real fun starts when you find posts like:
Quote:I thought the OP described by the OP was OP.
It's still not too difficult to figure out from the context though.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I don't know what I can say about Kenhoden. I know they probably won't come out until more Bahzell books do*, and those are likely waiting on Safehold and Honor.

As Richard Earnshaw is dead, if you want more than that, and don't want to see:
Quote:tum te tum tum "Oh bother." said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

I'd suggest talking to David at a Sci Fi con or something. I hear he is much freer with details in person, compared to online.

*Stuff mentioned in Swordbrother implies events following book three. Kenhoden must come after Swordbrother, perhaps even some stories after.

*Pulls at the snerk collar* If you don't mind spoilers, you can have a look see at infodump.thefifthimperium.com

Note that Optimus Prime is a couple of Latin adjectives meaning 'most heroic' and 'foremost'.

Bonus- as in pro bono -Good
Melior- an english loanword might be The Meliorist, from Sic Semper Morituri-more good
Optimus-Optimus Prime-most good, heroic, noble, kind, healthy

So, a crossover between Transformers and Sic Semper Morituri, or just more of SSM published.

MLP:FiM and Winnie the Pooh.  I've got this image in my head of Pinkie Pie and Tigger in a bouncing competition, and I can't stop smiling. 
-----

Quote:I've got this image in my head of Pinkie Pie and Tigger in a bouncing competition, and I can't stop smiling.
"The wonderful thing about Pinkies/Is Pinkies are wonderful things..."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Anything you can bounce, I can bounce BETTER!

Just don't cross it with GURPS fantasy II.

Quote:Just don't cross it with GURPS fantasy II.
Bwahahaha! Or push it the other direction, to create "GURPS Fantasy III", with dread 4-legged abominations stalking the world...
-- Bob
---------

Lets see . . .
The god of storms and chaos and destruction. Luckily it sleeps much of the time, or else the whole land would have been laid waste.
The kindly one who might help you - or might help the game animal you need to survive or the vegetable you're planning to eat.
The wise one who'll take you apart to see how you work and, if you're very unlucky, try to reassemble you afterwards.
The mighty one who considers all mortal beings food.
The shaper who'll warp you into some inhuman thing as a gift.
And the one who hides behind, the keeper of secrets, who's name is not spoken in even the most hushed of whispers.

Harold of Dresden, of the Order of Hermes

Warhammer and Lovehammer.

Squirrel Girl meets the Squirrel Girls.
-- Bob
---------

Squirrel Girl, the Squirrel Girls, and Slappi Sqirl, and.. oh dear, I've gone crosseyed.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Wiredgeek Wrote:Squirrel Girl, the Squirrel Girls, and Slappi Sqirl, and.. oh dear, I've gone crosseyed.
Crosseyed, or crossovered? Let's add Rocket J. Squirrel and find out...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Slappi Sqirl vs. Bullwinkle would be worth the price of admission
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Quote:Slappi Sqirl vs. Bullwinkle would be worth the price of admission
Now that's comedy.