Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
284 is enough - NEW new fic rec thread
Re: The Birthday Present
Harry Potter and the Insert Title Here is a parody of a fairly large number of HP fanfic cliches.
Edit: One-word correction.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Re: 284 is enough - NEW new fic rec thread
Check out Regulus's Harry Potter re-writes, where Harry is in Ravenclaw and Tonks was born in his year.
Also features the best take on HP:HBP ever:
"[a] laughably silly videogame plot of the horcruxes (if Harry gets 100 galleons, does he win a free man, too?)"

www.fanfiction.net/u/71268/
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Firefly/Riddick story
Some Kind of Crazy... it does a good job of introducing riddick to the crew of the serenity. my only complaint with it, really, is that it's short and doesn't leave room for a sequel...-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Re: Firefly/Riddick story
That was a story well worth the time spent reading it [Image: happy.gif]
anyone else got any Riddck stories that aren't crap? [Image: smile.gif] _______________________________
"We few, we happy few. We band of buggered"
...at lunch while randomly browsing fanficauthors.net, and got seriously caught up in it. Seriously enough that I didn't go to bed last night until I'd finished it -- at 1:30 in the morning.
Living With Danger by whydoyouwanttoknow
Harry Potter altiverse, starts about six months after James and Lily were killed, but its real initial divergence point is about 20 years earlier. At least -- it could have been 40 years or so, but it's hard to be sure. The results of the divergence are... dramatic. And well written.
If you like it, it has two sequels and a bunch of side stories. But I'm only just starting the first sequel, and haven't looked at the side stories, so I don't know what they're like. However, if they're on a par with the original tale, they're going to be quite good.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
Re: Just stumbled across this one yesterday...
Quote:
I would never leave you behind, Remus said, intending it to sound humorous. A mild feeling of shock spread over him as he realized the depth of feeling in the words, and the depth of his feelings for this woman he had only met a short time ago...
Whad...? That's moving a bit fast for someone he just met. The plot line is a bit of a stretch on the suspension of disbelief thus far. o.o If you hadn't recommended it, I don't think I would have continued reading thus far. ._.
Yeah, the initial premise is a bit forced, but its a decent story all told.
I should also point out I rec'd this back on page 6 of this thread. [Image: happy.gif] --
You did? My apologies.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
That's moving a bit fast for someone he just met. The plot line is a bit of a stretch on the suspension of disbelief thus far.
Well, as it turns out, there are... entities... tweaking things. I suspect this was one of those things.
Plus, I happen to be enough of a romantic to believe in love at first sight and all that it could entail. It's never happened to me, mind you, but there are few things I have a pure religious-style faith in, and that's one of them.

-- Bob
---------
That makes me think of a quote I love, paraphrased:
"There's no such thing as love at first sight. Lust at first sight, definitely. True love takes at least an hour or two."--
There certainly is such a thing as love at first sight. Consumate love? Hell, no. Limerence? Certainly. Heck, even fatuous love is possible at first sight. Intimacy, on the other hand, takes time.
Of course, I'm rather fond of the Triangular Theory of Love. :-)-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
Doing it All Over Again is the result of an author of spectacularly bad fanfiction deciding to parody his own fanfics. It's actually decent, provided you don't try to take it seriously.
Quote:
Hello, my name is Harry Potter. Lately Ive been having a problem with gorgeous women throwing themselves at me.... Please get back to me because I dont know how many more bonded concubines I can endure before my mother explodes.
Edit: Changed the link to point at the first chapter instead of the fifteenth.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
expanded capacity for verbiage
Thanks for the new word, Aleh.
limerance...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: expanded capacity for verbiage
You're welcome. Wikipedia has a pretty... interesting... article on the subject, by the way.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
The Gods of ArrKelaan
The Gods of ArrKelaan is a webcomic worth checking out
Edit-It is working for me now I think I fixed the link, please check it again.
New Anita Blake crossover
Mhalachai (author of Inevitable) has begun yet another fun little crossover.
Balancing Act
Richard Zeeman is getting a little suspicious of a new transfer student in his high-school science class...
Sixteen-year-old John "Jack" O'Neill.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
?
Happerry, for some reason clicking on that link sends me to the Microsoft homepage of all places.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Re: New Anita Blake crossover
Well, Balancing Act isn't bad, it might be more interesting I'd ever read the Anita Blake books [Image: smile.gif] __________________
"I know when I'm not wanted. I usually don't listen, but I know." - Harper (Andromeda)
A Spider in Nerima features the events surrounding Ben Reilly's arrival in nerima, seeking a martial arts teacher good enough to teach him something despite the innate speed and preternatural reactins of being a Spidey-clone. On its own, I'd rate the story about a 4/10, but it as a Bible Banger 2 modifier - a negaitve if you're not devout, a bonus if you are. This Reilly is very devout, and in later chapters has a vision of Jesus-ala-cowboy who heals his clone cell degeneration via literal miracle, letters from Ma Tendo reveal she was a devout Christian who left a bible for each of her girls and Soun was "striking back at the Lord" for taking her by having a Buddist funeral and shrine, Dr. Strange cameos for magical advice and mentions that he's found the Chrsitian holy writings to be the most accurate references to the mystical, and so on. For myself, it wasn't QUITE enough to make me drop it, but I certainly skipped over the religious bits and am unlikely t reread it. It's something I'd reccomend without question to my sister for her kids, though, since she's been raising the poor blighters to be very religious.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Semireccomended
It sounds bad enough from your description. I guess this is a case of the author preaching their views through their work [Image: frown.gif]
also.... Ranma 1/2 + Spiderman = no. its just wrong thats what it is [Image: frown.gif] _______________________________
"We few, we happy few. We band of buggered"
Well, keep in mind that's all the major instances I can remember spread through thirty or so chapters - and also that a -2 brings it down to a 2/10, which is the lowest score I've ever given, because anything under 3/10 is bad enough to just drop it and move on. 1/10 would cause diagnosable mental problems trying to rationalise and/or forget it.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I read it. I'm not sure why, but I think I was just...morbidly fascinated by the concept. Christian Spider-Man meets Ranma? I had to see this. Ended up skimming most of it.
The writing isn't actually bad, for the most part. That is, the author's got decent spelling and grammar. More importantly, his sentence structure doesn't make my head spin. And I'm pretty fussy about such things. There's some stuff that's been recommended here, and still tracked on the updates list, that I simply can't read...I find the language too stilted, or whatever. This guy, well, he's at least got a fair grasp of the basic mechanics of writing.
That said, this story annoys me for other reasons. I think the real issue is one of narrative flow at a macro level. He has some justification for all the Christian themes he brings in, but I don't think he handles it right. Too heavy-handed. It might actually work if he were more subtle. Hell, it ain't just the Christian stuff, really. 's kinda a problem with everything in the story. The ideas aren't so bad, they're just not...executed well.
-- Acyl
Beast Lord is a rediculously super-Harry story that wouldn't really be worth mentioning if it wasn't for the most recent chapter. Said most recent chapter, which this link points to, has several scenes which are definately worth reading, even if you don't bother reading the rest of the story.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
Re: Beast Lord
If the rest of this is worse I'm certainly not going to bother. I think I spotted the scene(s) you liked, but I'm not sure they made up for the rest. I for one have a great deal of trouble believing the words "fucking hottie" could come out of Ginny's mouth.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Beast Lord
There are... intervening events. Remember that you're starting from Chapter 21. She's not as OOC as you think.
That being said, if you got to that remark, you got past my favorite part of that chapter -- Fawkes's line about Hedwig and The Talk.