New Fic Recommendation Thread
Re: bad fanfic! no biscuit!
My rude response to the previous rude response has been deleted.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
ranma is probably the most common introduction to anime...
It also tends to be very polymorphic, lending itself well to almost any mutation or interpretation a reader/write wants to put into it. As a result, it's pretty much the epitome of the concept I put forth a long time ago, that fanfiction is basically commedia dell'arte.
Quote:
i look at it as: a good story is a good story... a good author should be able to make an enjoyable read out or anything... even something as annoying as ranma.
I have to agree, although there have been stories I've seen that would have been better served as original works than Ranma fics. Of course it helps that I'm not actually tired of Ranma 1/2 yet, and my current consumption of Ranma fics tends to be very selective.
Further discussion should probably be taken to its own thread.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
It also got a poor ending and a frustrating lack of resolution.
So lots of people think, hey *I* can do better.
I do not remember the name, but I believe someone else pointed out quite a while ago that anime that has a nice, tight resolution at the end of it, generally sees a rather tiny amount of fanfic in comparison.
Hence why there is/was so much Dirty Pair, BGC, and even UY ( wonderful series, no ending) before their shelf lives got too long.
While series like the OMG, El Hazard get so little in comparison.
I think Vlad may have a point.
Quote:
So lots of people think, hey *I* can do better.
And a lot of people -do- do better, especially with anime like Ranma and Sailor Moon. I point out Girl Days and Sailor Moon Z as the archteypical examples.--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
How many read The Weakest Link? Surfing the author's site, I found a conclusion to its somewhat vague ending.
Well, maybe. As the author says, "The following story might or might not have taken place approximately two months after the end of "The Weakest Link," (after the completion of S) . . . during a quiet time."
Regardless, Midnight Pirouette is the most powerful story I've read in months.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Re: Midnight Pirouette
Ya know? The Weakest Link and Midnight Pirouette are both really well written stories, but that erratic timeflow style he uses is really annoying. It's like trying to simultaniously watch 3 TVs set on different channels.
To my further chagrin both are melencholy and I read them in the wee hours of the night (thus forcing me to stay up an extra couple hours finding something else to read in order to wash the gloomy taste out)
Another Crazy Spamfic
This is... beyond insane. A Naruto spamfic answering the question of "What if Orochimaru was really Willy Wonka (the original movie version)?"-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Quote:
The Weakest Link and Midnight Pirouette are both really well written stories, but that erratic timeflow style he uses is really annoying.
I like the style. For me, at least, it gives the story a strangely surreal quality, lending it multiple layers that all converge at the end.
Quote:
To my further chagrin both are melencholy and I read them in the wee hours of the night (thus forcing me to stay up an extra couple hours finding something else to read in order to wash the gloomy taste out)
Meh, different strokes. I happen to like sad and tragic stories, The Bitter End is still one of my favorites. And I read that one as well at one or two in the morning.
If you would like something far more upbeat, though still quite surreal, check out +Gradient's other story The Bequeathers, which is an interesting fic about Rei.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Quote:
Meh, different strokes. I happen to like sad and tragic stories, The Bitter End is still one of my favorites. And I read that one as well at one or two in the morning.
*shrug* It's not that I don't like that kind of story, especially when they are well written like these two are, it's just that if I go to sleep in that mood I end up depressed for a week.
Stuff from my Bookmarks
The Sword Remembers
At www.fanfiction.net/s/1758537/1/
And New World Order At www.fanfiction.net/s/251974/1/ and its Sequel
Seekers In Shadow at www.fanfiction.net/s/953728/1/ and
So Below At www.fanfiction.net/s/2485265/1/
And Breath Of Fire: War Of The Dragons At www.fanfiction.net/s/2051403/1/