Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recommendation Thread
Re: Wading through FF.net's Rurouni Kenshin section
Quote:
A Glint of Amber Stars - A Star Trek: Next Generation crossover. And it -works-.
That it does, oddly and angstfully. I read the whole thing more or less in one sitting yesterday. I don't think I'll watch it to look for updates, but it was a good read right now.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
More RuroKen
Three Daughters - Old. Good. Finished. Enjoy.
The Spy and the Hitokiri - ...may very well be the best Rurouni Kenshin fic I've ever read. Tanuuuuukiiiiii POWAH!
A Rurouni's Guide to Idiocy - Like Girl Days. Only with Battousai. But not finished, dammit.
Light of the Snow Red Village - Yeah. I like this. So... much... sweet...
The Courtship of Lady Tokio - It's been a while, but I remember liking this the last time I read it... And this coming from someone who never fails to want to put a bullet through that idiot wolf's brain.
An Unexpected Lesson - Not as funny as Rurouni's Guide, but as-good-or-better for serious plot, and -finished-, which counts for a -lot-.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Have a bone.
I'm going to have to read those.
In meantime, here's a recommendation: Hajime and Tokio, a looong (and finished!) fic that starts before Trust and Betrayal and continues past Jinchuu and Reflection. It's probably one of the most addicting fics I've read. It's also on FFnet.*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
Re: Have a bone.
On the subject of good finished Rk fics.
Prism by Calger. Calger also has some other really good fics.
Tanabata Jasmine by Nekotsuki. Also very well.
Sundial by Angrybee. Very very good. Also odd that I liked it so well, as its not actually kenshingumi centric.
That's all that comes to mind at the moment.
apologies if some of these have been linked elsewhere in the thread.
Re: Have a bone.
For those who need their daily dose of laughter: Shinji Just Snaps and Totally Wales on Everything: I Have No Idea What You Are Talking About, So Here Is a Penguin with a Waffle On Top of Its Head
Example:
BOOM.
It should have been just another explosion signifying the conflagration of yet another replaceable surface building. It wasnt.
Hyuga gasped. SIR! WE JUST LOST THE BASKIN ROBBINS ON IMAEDA AVENUE!
It was as if Central Dogma had been renovated as a mass grave.
Subtly, Fuyutski leaned towards his only superior officer. Ikarithats thirty-one flavorswaffle conesrainbow sprinkles
Did they have, Gendo paused, Butter Pecan?
From the corner of Ikaris eye, the old mans deathly-ill profile darkened as he slowly nodded.
Thats it.
The Supreme Commander of Nerv rose from his Laz-E-Bastard. Unit-00 and Unit-02 will proceed to cage four. Once at the surface they will intercept the Third Child and initiate a Level-Three Old School Beatdown.
Harry Potter - meet Harry Potter and Harry Potter
www.fanfiction.net/s/2511245/1/
"Oi! Harry!"
Harry turned at the summons, smiling when he caught sight of a couple of his shadow selves on their broomsticks. They had a large net between them and seemed to be having trouble staying aloft. The speaker was a brown-eyed version of himself--one of the Harrys in hiding. He was using a pseudonym along with wearing colored contact lenses and a headband to protect his identity.
"What have you got there, Sparky?" the first Harry wondered, then groaned aloud when he identified the furry, wriggling mass in the net attached to Sparky's Firebolt and the other Harry's Nimbus 2000. "Oh no! Not more! We just stretched the place and added new shelves yesterday."
"Yeah, well, new book, new crop of plot bunnies," Sparky commented, gesturing toward the net with one hand, while maintaining a grip on his broom with the other. He caught Harry's eye and flashed a mischievous smile. "How many will be new Harrys by morning d'you reckon?"
Re: Harry Potter - meet Harry Potter and Harry Potter
Cute. I like it.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Spearhead
By purest chance I happened upon a rather nifty and very action-packed Stargate fic series.
www.fanfiction.net/s/664062/1/
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Sunnydale Bionics
I found a very entertaining BtVS/SG-1/Billion-Dollar Man crossover. It's only at TTH so you might have trouble getting it, their server has a lot of lag time.
www.tthfanfic.org/story.php?no=7354
Seeking odd Buffy fic
Awhile ago I came across a pointer to a rather interesting Buffy fanfic with some Stargate-y elements. Basic plot was that Buffy fell through a gate to a Hell dimension, was amnesiac, and ended up getting recruited by a demon lord to become general of his armies... things go on from there, and eventually she starts recovering her memories (after centuries in dimensions where the time rate is different from Earth's, so only a few months have passed for the Sunnydale team), and somehow Harry Potter was mixed up in it too... anyone remember this one?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Re: Seeking odd Buffy fic
That would probably be 'Chains forged in fire' www.fanfiction.net/s/1762916/1/ by Memet.
Quote:
'Chains forged in fire'
Another interesting idea hobbled by a barely-literate author. And at 15 chapters, I had hopes that it was actually finished, since the story was interesting enough to keep me going despite the techical weakness. Silly me. It's not, and worse yet, it appears to end right before the climax. Since it hasn't been updated in 9 months -- and all 15 chapters were written in the 8 months prior -- I suspect this story is well and truly dead.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
That Endless Sorrow, a very angsty, very good AU Rurouni Kenshin oneshot by Blue Jeans.
Summary: With an endless sorrow held close to her heart, Kamiya Kaoru, when taken hostage by an assassin known only as the Hitokiri Battousai, changes him in ways unimaginable. She gives him the gift of her eternity and gains the ability to touch deeply the heart of one known as Himura Kenshin as well, staining him with her innocence forever.
Buffy time-travel fun
We've seen Xander go back and try to do it right.
We've seen Cordelia do it.
Now it's Spike's Turn.--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Re: Buffy time-travel fun
I just started the third part of this story before crashing last night, and I have to say, I'm really, really enjoying it. Well-written, by someone with good technical skill, good story-telling skill, and the ability to craft a believable "time traveler trying to change things" story that doesn't render its hero useless due to predestination or give him godlike omniscience because of his future knowledge. If the ending is worthy of the build-up, this will be a hell of a fic, and will go in my permanent favorites pile -- as well as get queued to read to Peggy.

-- Bob
---------
If you've gotten that far and still think that, then I have to say: You will not be disappointed.
--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
You're right. I wasn't.
It's now in the "for reading to Peggy" archive.

-- Bob
---------
There's nothing like being wacked in the face
The Ambiguously Lesbian Duo, a Sailor Moon parody of... you know.
NSWF, for massive amounts of (amusing) innuendo, but nothing actually explicit.*********
Twisted...
UsAgI iS dEaD uSaGi Is DeAd HiP hIp HiP hOoRaY - A rather twisted Sailor Moon fic that, nontheless, has a strong plot. I've read up to the end of chapter 2 and am liking it. A lot.*********
Wuhuh?
The Weakest Link, a Sailor Moon fic that bamboozled my brain at it's end.*********
Re: Wuhuh?
Well, that was damn annoying. I vote against it.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
www.tabyk.net/stories/legends.html
Nice to know there are still new ranma fics out there worth reading :-)
also, if you havent read tabyk's other stuff, its all quite good.
Wow, that was really good. I'm going to haveto read more of Tabyk's stuff.*********
Yeah, "Legends" was one of the best stories I've seen on the FFML in the last few months. (Then again, it's one of the few stories I've seen on the FFML in the last few months, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is a damned fine piece of work.)
Naturally, some bozo was complaining about it -- we don't know who the narrator is, we don't know who Ramna married, blah blah blah. God forbid someone writes something good on the FFML without someone like that being there ready to tear it down.

-- Bob
---------
His Ranma/Ghost in the Shell crossover, Future Memories, is really good as well. I find it amusing that in a one-on-one fight, Ranma dropped the Major five out of five.
Someone mentioned HP fanfic author Jeconais a while back. I read last night his weird fic The Search for Nirvana. It's a very odd uber!Harry.*********