Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One concerted reading period later...
Re: RE: Tale of Two Wallets
Quote:
Are you sure? I was just there and there wasn't a 404 in sight.
Sure I'm sure. Just went there right now again.
And got a Javascript popup that said the file was 404, then hostultra's "uhoh.html" page. That's very weird. I'm going to have to study what's going on there.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: One concerted reading period later...
jpub,
If you or any of the others here want to comment on Cat-Tails, JLAnit, or the other sister series "TwoFace Tales", might I suggest that you head over to here:
pub101.ezboard.com/fgothampmfrm26
It's a forum setup much like this one. Over there I'm Hugh Michelson, and if you are wondering what I'll be doing for the next short period of time, I'll be lynching SR4 for not mentioning the link beforehand.[Image: wink.gif] [Image: devil.gif] [Image: laugh.gif]
Regards,
Micro Hue
Re: site problems
Hm. Something that Hostultra is doing is setting off ZoneAlarm bigtime. Those links to the text files don't go directly, as far as I can tell -- if I shut down ZoneAlarm and "save link target as..." them, I get a file that contains the following: (angle brackets removed because ezBoard doesn't like them)
Quote:
( script language="JavaScript" )alert("404 - File Not Found!
www.hostultra.com/~AngCob...otw113.txt could not be found!" ); top.location.href="www.hostultra.com/uhoh.html";( /script )
If I click it directly, I get the text file, with a little flicker first.
What's really odd is that the link looks honest -- the HTML coding does an HREF directly to the text file, but it doesn't seem you can actually get there without something running first.
I think Hostultra is pulling some kind of fast one, which unfortunately I'm going to have to risk to get those chapters. I can't find anything on Google about a problem with Hostultra doing something dubious, so I'm thinking it might be safe, but I'm just not sure.

As for Omniverse, that appears to be a ZoneAlarm problem -- it seems to be doing funky with the image links. Don't ask me what or why.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
It's a forum setup much like this one. Over there I'm Hugh Michelson, and if you are wondering what I'll be doing for the next short period of time, I'll be lynching SR4 for not mentioning the link beforehand.
Get in Line, Hugh. I still have that duel with the Joker."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Re: site problems
If you look at the very top of the source, you'll see a line that says (angle brackets changed to curlies) {script language='jscript.encode' src='/root/%61%64%73.php}{/script}. %61%64%73 in URL-encoding spells out "ads", which is what this is doing; it's trying to set a popup. I think this may be what hostalarm's complaining about.
However, that's not why your downloads aren't working -- it's just that hostultra's doing referer checking.
wget http:/pre> //www.hostultra.com/~AngCobraFics/atotw113.txt
gets the "oops" page -- which claims to be a 404, but isn't -- but
wget --referer='http:// www.hostultra.com/' http:// www.hostultra.com/~AngCobraFics/atotw113.txt
downloads the story normally.
hostultra.com is doing some odd javascript games, which is probably what's causing hostalarm to trigger. It's got a javascript which is trying to make popup ad windows appear.
However, that's not what's causing the download weirdness. It's rather that hostultra's doing referrer checking. In a command-line fetch,
wget http://www.hostultra.com/~AngCobraFics/atotw113.txt
fetches the "oops" page, whereas
wget --referer='http://www.hostultra.com/' http://www.hostultra.com/~AngCobraFics/atotw113.txt
retrieves the text file normally.
Ah. Thanks for the info, Jonathan. Even with ZoneAlarm off, I didn't get the popups, thanks to about seventy-zillion layers of antipopup stuff that's incidentally programmed into half the utilities I use...

-- Bob
---------
www.fanfiction.net/read.p...id=1378477
A Harry Potter fic, featuring the adventures of a Hufflepuff named Selfinsertion O'Bugger-Subtletly, who, in reality, is a member of the Junior IRA on a mission to blow up Hogwarts.- "I suppose that, technically, the existance of the Association of Foul Sorcerers is my fault, but, damnit, I was joking when I told them that they should unionize!"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Quote:
Get in Line, Hugh. I still have that duel with the Joker.
No thanks. Me no wanna be, er, forcefully put to sleep in the bar - that's too dangerous! [Image: laugh.gif] [Image: wink.gif] Particularly since I don't have a robotic form to protect me! I'll get out of line now and leave you to have fun with the Joker. You know I was only pulling you leg about that lynching. Not everyone over here could cope with the bar.
[Image: happy.gif]
Oh, a word of advice SR4... say away from the Joker's flower! Do not smell it! Even in robotic form!
Other than that, now that Hugh isn't here... in the words of a classic movie:
"Good luck, you're gonna need it!" [Image: laugh.gif]
---
Micro Hue
Quote:
A Harry Potter fic, featuring the adventures of a Hufflepuff named Selfinsertion O'Bugger-Subtletly,
Okay, that gives me something to do tonight while Peggy is sewing drapes over at her mom's house...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
A Harry Potter fic, featuring the adventures of a Hufflepuff named Selfinsertion O'Bugger-Subtletly, who, in reality,
Damn, I realy want to spread this link around... but the only place I generally post such thins is right here. Thppppth.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Read that Potter fic last night. Weird and funny.

-- Bob
---------
Guilty Pleasures is one person's favorite picks - IMHO, she's got good taste.
Sailor Moon: Millenials Telepathy. Plants. Dragons. Pluto in Very Tight Jeans. What's not to like?
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Oh yeah, I remember Millenials... sorta. I remember reading the opening scenes several times, and never anything else. Dunno why... gonna have to fix that.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
So, I'm asking you, my friends, to point me in the direction of some other masterpieces. That might be off the path of my usual FFML hauntings. -- Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
Hmm.. I'm not certain you'll find this appealing, Chris. It IS a self-insert of sorts, but it's one that doesn't take itself very seriously, and it's quite funny.
Just two warnings. If yaoi fic disturbs you (nothing blatant, just off-screen snogging), it's not for you. It's not a slash fic, but there are incidents of slash in some chapters.
And if you have warm & fuzzy memories of the 60's (as I do), you'll be *ahem* rather surprised at the author's take on them.
Warnings aside, I found it hilarious.
To quote from the page..
Quote:
Meet Scribe - Fangirl Extraordinair
Scribe, a typical (well, maybe not so typical) fangirl finds herself hurtled into another dimension, landing smack dab in the middle of a slightly tilted version of the DC comics universe.
She meets Lois, Superman, Clark Kent (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), Jimmy Olsen, and others, including Clive, the Leather Hairdresser. Clive? You'll have to read. He's kind of hard to explain.
She also finds out that there was a heckuva lot going on between the panels in those comics.
Can the DC universe handle karaoke, mixed drinks with sexy names, and a woman who'd rather wear engineer boots than pumps?
You can find it at :
www.angelfire.com/grrl/sc...btitle.htm
Hope you find it funny.
Ed Becerra
Oh yeah, I remember this one. Silver Age with a distinct twist. I think I must have read this one a year or more ago; did she ever write any more, Ed?
Oh, and I came across an Eva/Dual! crossover last night. The story idea is rather obvious, but the implementation is clever: Shinji and Kazuki exchange places, across their respective universes. But it's Shinji from the first minute or so of Eva, before Misato picks him up, and it's a well-past-OVA Kazuki, almost college age -- and for some rather screwball comedy reasons, Kazuki ends up impersonating Shinji, fooling everyone but Gendo and Fuyutski (and it's only because he's not a wimp do these two suss him out), who let him continue the masquerade because he can pilot the Eva, and because they want to find out what his game is. Meanwhile, Kazuki's fiancee (one of the Mitsukis, natch), not to mention everyone else, is rather upset that her husband-to-be has vanished...
The author clearly needs some practice at his/her craft, but he/she definitely has potential. Only two really bad things about the fic: 1) it's unfinished and 2) I've forgotten the URL where it is. When I get a chance, I'll go looking for it again and post the link here.

-- Bob
---------
Eva/Dual!
The fic is here: dualfans.host.sk/fiction.php?page=misc
It doesn't appear to have a title, beyond "Dual/Eva Crossover".

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember this one. Silver Age with a distinct twist. I think I must have read this one a year or more ago; did she ever write any more, Ed?
Quite a bit more, Bob.. in fact, Career Girl Blues is finally finished, two more stories have been complete, and Scribe is currently working on a book that began as an entry in the NaNoWriMo (NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth) contest.
'Dillo Talk is about a retired Texas Ranger and his pet armadillo who take private cases now and then to relieve the boredom.
You can find the finished version of Career Girl Blues at the URL above, and most of her other finished works by simply going a directory higher.
Ed.
Re: Eva/Dual!
Oh, cool. More nighttime reading when I get home...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
The fic is here: dualfans.host.sk/fiction.php?page=misc
It doesn't appear to have a title, beyond "Dual/Eva Crossover".
Its real title is 'In the Hands Of a Real Hero', and is also available on FF.net; I might add that the version you found has several typos that I don't remember on the original posting.- "I suppose that, technically, the existance of the Association of Foul Sorcerers is my fault, but, damnit, I was joking when I told them that they should unionize!"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Re: ExLoSiCon
Quote:
Scribe is currently working on a book that began as an entry in the NaNoWriMo (NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth) contest.
Is that affiliated in any way with the BiMonSciFiCon?
Quote:
Its real title is 'In the Hands Of a Real Hero', and is also available on FF.net
Well, of course as soon as I saw this I went and looked, but ff.net appears to be down...
Thanks for the pointer... does the ff.net copy have more chapters?

-- Bob
---------
cpt kangarooski wrote:
Quote:
Is that affiliated in any way with the BiMonSciFiCon?
Not that I know of. NaNoWriMo is a yearly contest held in the hopes of flushing more and better authors from the undergrowth of amateurs out there in Internet-land. It works, too. So far, they can honestly claim to have found (or started on their way) at least one author a year, and usually more than one.
The only real limit they impose is the 50,000 word in one month rule, in a sort of "do or DIE!" approach to writing.
It produces a lot of crap, yes. But it also produces a few gems.
Ed.
Now ff.net is back up again. Sheesh.

-- Bob
---------
*WF has just finished the dual/eva cross over*
hrm okay maybe its just me... but did anyone else get the feeling that kazuki was acting a little like DJ croft if he was japanese? Tongue