Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One concerted reading period later...
Re: One concerted reading period later...
Well, he is an older, more confident Kazuki from a couple of years after the end of his own series, after all. He's already familiar with giant robot-type stuff (is, in fact, a giant robot himself, in a weird dimensional analogue sort of way), has already drawn one emotionless semihuman girl out of her shell, and appears to have been enough on the ball to mostly resolve his Tenchi Harem problem. I mean, think about it -- a confident, well-adjusted adult with a fair amount of charisma dropped into Shinji's role, not a depressed, withdrawn early-adolescent.
Of course he's going to seem like DJ Croft. 90% of DJ's "I can handle everything" confidence and attitude were probably due to the fact that he was a serial reincarnator who had in fact handled everything at one time or another, and had hundreds if not thousands of years of life experience under his belt, even if most of it was relegated to the depths of his subconscious.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: ExLoSiCon
I am so going to toss that at Gryph as a potential line to use the next time someone bitches about How They Hate DJ.
(He still gets email about it. Two weeks ago, someone from Russia mailed him complaining, thus keeping the Firestorm Of International Controversy that is NXE alive.)Brazil has decided you're cute.
RE: DJ and Competence
Just make sure you mention my name, so I can rack up an extra brownie point with the Big Man.

-- Bob
---------
lol i see... you know thats a pretty good turn of words there...
"serial reincarnator" Tongue
anyway in reply: well i guess you have a point. Any one who has the some semblance of confidence would look like DJ if they got thrust in Shinji's position [Image: smile.gif]
Quote:
Thanks for the pointer... does the ff.net copy have more chapters?
Yes. The precise link, by the way, is www.fanfiction.net/read.p...d=1303886. Didn't post it earlier for the simple reason that FF.net was down and I don't keep a direct link.- "I suppose that, technically, the existance of the Association of Foul Sorcerers is my fault, but, damnit, I was joking when I told them that they should unionize!"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Quote:
you know thats a pretty good turn of words there...
"serial reincarnator" Tongue
Thanks. You think that's good? Think of the counterpart... the "parallel reincarnator". That one would be a lot more confusing...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Eva/Dual
hrm.. parralel reincarnator... uh... hrm.. reincarnates at the same time as another person who reincarnates??!?
@_@
I am thinking Breath of fire IV? ^_^
"Parallel reincarnaoter" that would be like the main character, the demons, and the dragons in Summoner, then? Nine bits of a 'killed' god, reincaranated seperately. I enjoyed that game more than the reviewers, apparently, but never got to play the sequel as it was PS2 only and I persist in refusing to buy a game console when I have a want list for my real computers.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
CD's got what I mean. Instead of reincarnating one body at a time, over and over again, the parallel reincarnator goes into multiple bodies all in the same time period.
Actually, now that I think about it, DJ's not properly a "serial" reincarnator, as his progression is non-linear with respect to time as it is experienced by mortals.

-- Bob
---------
*WF has boggled his mind enough* Tongue
thanks CD I think I get what parallel reincarnator is now... I think. [Image: smile.gif]
I once conceived the idea (off of which a religion could be spawned by a sufficiently charismatic true believer, were there any) of there being in fact only *one* person, reincarnated linearly but without respect to 'normal' time as many times as necessary to account for all people who have ever lived. A person's individual characteristics, under this model, could easily have something to do with where in this endless series of lives the sole person is, and thus how much experience that person has had.
Huh. I think you could set up a belief system that maximizes ethical behavior as an extension of enlightened self interest with that core dogma. Interesting...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
there being in fact only *one* person, reincarnated linearly
While not quite what you mean - he only followed the lives of every person in the multiverse - The Sage of SFStory/Superguy is essentially that. Originally a minor henchie called Ratman, he appeared to be vaporized when a superpower-enhancing machine designed to draw out any meta's maximum potential overloaded. Instead, he got piped through every life of every soul-possing organism from one end of existence to the other, then reformed on a planet where the very first intelligent species had just developed language, with perfect recall of everything that had ever happened except one particular thing that I forget so he wouldn't be truly omniscient, and therefore only had to be aware of whatever he wanted to concentrate on at the time. He prceeded to sell answers to questions, at a rate per replay that equalled about $20 converted to 1995 US Dollars several million years later. He's rather irritable, and his space station is built on a nexus point with entrances from every altiverse of the multiverse except 223DON'TTRYITAUTHORSONLY, but not neccesarily easy to find in each one. Also, the passages in it are man-sized only, so unless your starship can be shrunk or disasssembled r whatever and carried throguh you'll have to make other arrangements to leave if you want to go to another altiverse.
At keast, I think his station got rebuilt - the original was destroyed during one of Satan T. Lucifer Jones's periodic attempts to conquer the universe by military force, whenhis forces had been bolstered by either four or eight billion clones of Dan Quayle. The only other thing I rmember of that was that The Pretty Dang Fine Ol' Texan Ship _Alamo's Revenge_ was instrumental in the final defense against his flagship, after having transformed into a giant robotic steer.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
SM: Millenials - Nice. Reminded me of SMZ and one thing Eternal Lost Lurker did, but other than that, but I liked it.
Guilty Pleasures - GAH. If I wanted lemons, I'd peruse the Sakura archive.
In the Hands of a Real Hero (Eva/Dual!) - Man, that guy got something COMPLETELY different out of Dual! than I did.
That Harry Potter fic: NEVER! (Sorry, can't stand Harry potter fiction)

--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
SM: Millenials - Nice. Reminded me of SMZ and one thing Eternal Lost Lurker did, but other than that, but I liked it.
I believe you're thinking of Sailor Moon: Crystal. Or was that Suiseiki? I remember him changing it...
Quote:
Guilty Pleasures - GAH. If I wanted lemons, I'd peruse the Sakura archive.
*blinkblink* Hm. Did you actually go and read? 'Cause, I've gone through most everything there, and while there -were- lemons present, they were both a.) universally plot-based and b.) in a distinct minority.
Sorry.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I dunno, Lurker's SM fiction sort of blurs together.
As for Guilty Pleasures, my mistake. I guess I had bad luck and kept on hitting the lemons.
(As for lemons, the only one I've ever been able to take was Bubblegum Pink, and that's just because it's hard to get irritated when you're too busy busting a gut laughing.)--
Quote:
I dunno, Lurker's SM fiction sort of blurs together.
*blinkblink* I only know of two series he's done, and one of them seems to've vanished into the ether, so I don't see how.
Quote:
As for Guilty Pleasures, my mistake. I guess I had bad luck and kept on hitting the lemons.
...Well, I just checked, and, as I remembered, they're all clearly marked, so... ^_^;
Blessed be.
-n
===========

Which two would those be? The only one he's done that I know if is "Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Crystal", which was good but started to become less coherent and more of a grab-bag of whatever he felt like with the last couple of chapters; it, like most of his fiction, is now on hold. (I'd actually prefer more Ranmadate to either more SMC or more DBTheta, although both are good... and his HP/CCS fic might edge it out for the top spot.)
Anyway. Point was, what was the title of the other? Or if you don't remember that, any distinguishing characteristics?
The title was Sailor Moon Flash!, IIRC, and it was a fusion of Sailor Moon with Cutey Honey Flash. I remember there being two chapters, and it was very much on the risque side - this was way back two or three site-moves and about as many years ago, when his Ranma-Rayearth crossover was still active.
The only trace still available today is Ukyo Kuonji's(sp? ^_^; ) MSTing of the first chaper, more's the shame. I'd write and ask if he himself still had copies, but as entertaining as his stories can be, my own occaisional encounters with the man have been unpleasant enough that I'd really rather forget he exists.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

Happens that I'm on reasonably good terms with him (it helps that I've had encounters with both the intentionally abrasive and the just-plain-don't-care-it-it-bothers-you before); if you'd like, I could ask. I might just do it anyway, since I' m always interested in more good stuff to read. (Which is why I keep a watch on this thread - one of these weeks I'm going to go on a marathon of link-following and so forth.)
I'm thinking of Suiseki(sp?) and Crystal, but they may be the same fiction.
Remember, I actually once _wrote_ with Lurker on a project. Actually, he, Flashman, Andrew Huang and I were pre-readers for each other.
--
Another Recommendation
Chris, here's one that maybe you haven't seen yet: A Not So Simple Wish. Ranma uses an artifact to wish he never had a curse. The usual, right? Not quite. The wish drops a wholly-female Ranma -- the one who made the wish -- in a world with a Ranma who was never cursed. But there's an out -- if "Ranko" can get Ranma to fall in love with her, the wish will be undone and she will get her old life back...
Unfortunately, the story isn't finished, and the last time I emailed the author he didn't see much chance of it happening soon. But the existing chapters are very, very good. Highly recommended, even though incomplete.

-- Bob
---------
> Re: One concerted reading period later...
Yeah, I think I remember that one. On a related note, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any Ranma / Gakkou no Kaidan crossovers yet.
Re: Another Recommendation
Hmm. Not my cuppa that one. I couldn't even get through the first page.
Is it just me, or is FF.net hit-and-miss with access?--
Re: Another Recommendation
Yeah, it's pretty wonky at times.

-- Bob
---------