Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers That Should Not Be XIII: The Horrors, The Horrors...

I just now noticed this post.

My effort at translation

Recusare! Geminum abusus id!

(To reject) (this word is a singular of twin or twins) (This seems to be our only choice for a verb this chunk, it would mean 'waste', and my dictionary says, I think, Pluperfect, and I forget how that works.)(Most likely a pronoun 'It') I'd guess that this is a translation, or an attempt to translate a famous line from Ace Attorney, but I don't know what it is supposed to be beyond 'Objection!' I guess something relating to twins. Now, maybe this is using forms I never learned, or didn't retain, but it looks like the translation for 'Objection' is awkward or nonsensical.* Given that if the other words here go together and make sense, it does not seem to be in the simplest way, I would guess that machine translation was used here.

probabiliter etiam me

(worthy of approval)(and also/as yet)(ablative or accusative of me) This seems like it is supposed to be 'Even now I am praiseworthy', but I'm not sure the words actually string together to mean that.

I tend to think that the use of automatic machine translation between English and Latin is a cross over that should not be. Latin is a very inflected language. The form of the word encodes much grammar, and the placement very little. English is not very inflected at all. This means that the placement of the word in the sentence is very important for grammar and sense, but the spelling doesn't change whether man bites dog or dog bites man. Pure machine translation, especially such as Google, does not seem up to this task at this time.

Look into the horror stories of English-Chinese, especially 'Dry', if you want something better attested by native speakers.

For Latin-English, I tend to use an electronic dictionary, Wheelock's, or vague memories of Wheelock's. I essentially only know English. I've come across a fair amount of confusing Latin, a lot of it apparently machine translated.

Belldandy as an Eva pilot reminds me of that Eva fic starring a daughter of Belldandy.

*'Recuso', for one, is a form of that words that makes sense and would seem a defensible translation to me. Literally, it should be something like I refuse/object/reject.

We've reached 300 posts, so... new thread is new
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

It was supposed to be "Objection! Both misuse it!" and "probably also me" - which just goes to show how very much I should not be trying to translate into lating using only a half-assed pocket dictionary.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows