Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fic Recommendations vs. Hanoi Xan and the World Crime League

This isn't precisely fanfiction, but thus far it's all so good I think it's more than worth recommending anyway.

M. McGregor, the living legend, has resolved for the New Year to write one short story every day in January. So far, he's kept it up, and so far, every single story has been good in its own way - and several of them have been on the "wow" level of excellent.

As he says in his introductory post, current plans are for all of them to be original fic, but he might change his mind and write some as fanfic instead.

If you don't know what his credentials in the fanfic arena are, go dig through his LJ archives, starting with his tags page; suffice to say that he writes, among other things, what is quite possibly the best Xander-fic the Internet has ever seen. (That may not sound like much of an endorsement, given the trends in a lot of Xander-fic, but he really does stand head, shoulders and quite possibly torso above the crowd.)

Of Medusas in Central Park, set in Shadow Crystal Mage's rather odd Fate/Stay Night crossover universe.

Lily Potter and the Worst Holiday

Sixteen years ago, the infant Harry Potter was killed by Lord Voldemort. Today, Professor Lily Potter is supervising a Hogsmeade weekend when six strangers appear out of a thin air with a warning...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECS - Did you get an alert on this? Because it was recommended here *years* ago.

I'm going to guess he just found it via an avenue other than the recommendations here, especially if it was years ago. I mean, I look through the current
rec thread to make sure I don't post a rec that's been recced before, but I'm not going to dig through all the archives too.

Jbern presents a slightly late holiday offering with his new short piece, Better Watch Out, which somehow blends Norse Mythology, Mayan Calendars, and Santa Claus in a rather unique fashion. Link goes to fanficauthors.net, which requires registration; I don't know if he's posted it elsewhere.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Jbern presents a slightly late holiday offering with his new short piece, Better Watch Out, which somehow blends Norse Mythology, Mayan Calendars, and Santa Claus in a rather unique fashion. Link goes to
fanficauthors.net, which requires registration; I don't know if he's posted it elsewhere.
Registration's only required for fics with ratings "Mature" and "Adult Only"; Better Watch Out is rated
"Everyone", so no registration is actually required to read it.

Ah, I didn't remember that. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5543906/1/Retsus_Folly

Potter/Bleach crossover. Pretty well written.

New BGClassic fic sent to fanfiction.net on New Year's Eve. A Life
Revisited
, by Nightelf.

Action fans be aware - this is more of a character piece. It's also a well written story, very much worth your time. Of course, I'm biased. I was one
of the people providing C+C on the final drafts.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Sleight of Hand Because Genies were bottled for a reason.Aladdin

Good fic, that. But Life and its Many Changes by the same author is even better.

-- Bob
---------

The Lost Stars by Tirsis

Has some promise, and from a Known Good Author. Premise: An aging REF ship misfolds its way to Hoth, a week or so before the Empire arrives.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Oh, geeze, Norway, that's a horrible tease, recommending something on the grounds of a single prologue-sized chapter. I went to read part 2 and there was
none!
-- Bob
---------

I. WANT. MORE.

Seriously, that fic is like a peanut butter cup. Tirsis got Robotech in my Star Wars, and I'm loving every little bit of it.

Now, all I need to do is forget about it for a few months, and let the first few chapters build up.

/is off to finish rereading Sunset over Britain in one day.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Yeah. I want more, too, but then, there's so MANY fics I want more of....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

New Cat-Tales story by Chris Dee: Don't Fear The Joker, Chapter One

-- Bob
---------

Kinsfire has posted the first chapter of Betrayed, what looks to be an interesting Harry Potter fic, over at fanficauthors. The subject matter is nothing terribly new -- Harry breaks free of an evil Dumbledore who is grooming him to be an ignorant sacrifice -- but some of the implementation looks interesting and new (Hermione's rule-abiding and tattletaling being the result of compulsions or even the imperius, a hostile Tonks, a Harry who makes stupid mistakes and quickly learns from them). Appears to be set in the summer after Order of the Phoenix.

-- Bob
---------

Is it a typical Kinsfire Harry Potter?

Hard to tell. He doesn't seem to be the near-suicidal nonentity with almost no sense of self-worth that has appeared in other Kinsfire fics, at least not
yet. At the moment he's determined and resourceful, with a rapidly-declining naivete. But there isn't enough yet to see if, once he finds himself in a
safe haven, he'll revert to the common Kinsfire Harry.
-- Bob
---------

No one has mentioned Sarah1281's random writing in a while so:

Always the Last to Know: in which Iruka and Kakashi are quite suprized to discover
everyone thinks they are dating

Well He IS Really Old: In which Sasuke is very, very annoyed with a trend

Tobi Calls Australia!: In which a Fangirl manages to summon half the Akatsuki, which
results that are predictable

naruto. si.

"and a nutcase to the suicidal degree would ever find the concept of being born into the Shinobi world as cool, or any variation thereof that somehow
implies any possible positive connotation. Self-insert to a certain degree. Dark, AU."

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4842566/1/Only_a_Moron

I think folks already know this, but Clell65619 now has a place over at FanficAuthors.net, under the name "Deluded Musings". Just yesterday he put up a new story which is pretty funny: Harry Potter and the Trademark Dispute

-- Bob
---------

That's been on his/her ff.net page for ages.

The name gives away this particular HP crossover, but I figure I'd better point this particular crossover out. Say Hello! to Potter Fortress.

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:The name gives away this particular HP crossover, but I figure I'd better point this particular crossover out. Say Hello! to Potter Fortress.

You're sure of that? I was expecting HP/Dwarf Fortress. '.'

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.