Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fic Recommendations vs. Hanoi Xan and the World Crime League

Vathara has also be pushing out some A:tLA fic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5398503/1/Embers

Or as it might be subtutled, 'Iroh is awesome, and Zuko's nothing to sneeze at either.'

Embers actually follows Theft Absolute. It's short, and probably not
neccesary to read first, but it makes a good introduction. And, of course, it's still Vathara

I'm enjoying it. And I generally don't think much of Avatar.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

What Drakensis said. I'm familiar enough with Avatar to know who the characters are and follow what's going on, but I'm pretty noncommital about the series. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. I simply don't care.

But I like this story. Which probably says more about the author than the subject material.
-- Acyl

*Finishes Chapter 9 of Embers...*

Well shit. Now I'm gonna go all Rabid Crack Weasel over this friggin fic, at least until I can find something just as awesome to read.

Given that Vathara takes his time in releasing the chapters I don' doubt that we'll be seeing chapter 11 soon...
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

I believe Vathara only posts a fic once it's completely written - or she's done it that way in the past, anyway. My guess is that Embers is either a change in policy or, more likely, coming out as she finishes editing.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I vote the latter, Valles. Chapter 10 just came out last night/morning (depending on where in the world you live).

Quote: Rusco Ducam wrote:

Embers actually follows Theft Absolute. It's short, and
probably not neccesary to read first, but it makes a good introduction. And, of course, it's still Vathara
Indeed it does, which is why I shouldn't just work from memory. I'd mentally tagged Theft as chapter one and moved on. Whoops.

That's why Promenade and The Way
Home are coming together. Kingdom Hearts provides the framework for how things go together, and a handful of animes provide the bulk of the characters.
Mostly Detective Conan/Magic Kaitou but there is world hopping...

The Melancholy of Rorschach by BobCat. Only one chapter so far, but promises to be cracktastic if he keeps it up.

Oh, and for those who want to get in on any potential awesome before it nosedives, there's a new Skysaber fic -- Azalea Potter.  I haven't read it yet -- I'm just including the link on general principles.  There are only two chapters so far, which means he hasn't had time to run it off the rails yet (unless he's made a superhuman effort).

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

No crossovers yet, but it's already rather bad.
Re: Azalea Potter
Agreed, the first chapter was fine - but it was written by brian drozd, with slight modification. The second chapter is a train wreck already.

Standard Skysaber Train Wreck #3. And Brian's idea was pretty good, too.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote: Standard Skysaber Train Wreck #3. And Brian's idea was pretty good, too.

What are the standard Skysaber Train Wrecks anyway? I did not know that they were codified and would like to know.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

The Melancholy of Rorschach by BobCat. Only one
chapter so far, but promises to be cracktastic if he keeps it up.

Oh, and for those who want to get in on any potential awesome before it nosedives, there's a new Skysaber fic -- Azalea Potter. I haven't read it yet -- I'm just including the link on general
principles. There are only two chapters so far, which means he hasn't had time to run it off the rails yet (unless he's made a superhuman effort).

So...what happens when he gets involved in the "Endless Eight" episode? Worse..finds out the truth....The Almighty is a 15 year old hyper Japanese
schoolgirl?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Bad things. Very bad things. Or nothing. Hard to tell.

I don't know if this has been recced here before, but I didn't recognize it. It's an interesting HP/Doctor Who cross- snapshots of Harry's
life, when he's visited by his lifelong friend, the Doctor.

http://www.fanfiction.net...83/1/Visited_by_a_Doctor

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

The first chapter was fine? The entire thing seemed like a bile spewing hate fest to me. This was well below even his normal standards.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Yeah, the first chapter struck me as rather horrid. A familiar take on the Girl-who-lived idea so common in fanfic (And I thought Blaise had gender issues...),
with an added dose of 'every single character ever is a backstabbing murdering rapist asshole', followed up by 'the supposed hero commits mass
murder because she's the hero and they're the bad guys'. Hell, Skysabers followup chapter was actually BETTER then the first one Tongue

Skysaber Train Wreck #1: The Skysaber self insert. The ultimate in Marty Stu godmodding. Can outfight, out-manipulate, out-think and outdo anyone and everyone,
without even trying. If it's female, it will fall for him and join his harem. If she's a lesbian, his mere presence will turn her straight. They'll
all hold the opinion that all other women out there should join the harem. Men won't be jealous or angry, because he's just that awesome. Unless
they're evil, at which point they'll be complete monsters anyway and he'll destroy them. While preaching about something in a superior tone. At the
same time, his own actions will be well over the moral event horizon, but hey, he's the incredible Skysaber! Love him and worship him! So what if he
destroys his adopted sisters self confidence with a series of curses and tortures that makes her think she's a worthless nobody and how nice it was of her
dear brother to help her? Lina Inverse is better as a broken bookworm anyway, right?

Skysaber Train Wreck #2: Uncontrolled crossovers. This is common to any fanfic author out there. God knows I've done it myself before. This one is merely a
STW on the grounds that he uses the same writing approach. A character will be designated the Marty Stu and proceed to be as awesome as Skysaber. He'll
preach, mock, cross the moral even horizon, while easily destroying any horrible flanderization of supporting characters that appear. And if it's female
(And not Akane), he'll end up with her in his harem.

Skysaber Train Wreck #3: Technically a variant of STW #2, but without any real crossovers. Expect Godmodding, incredible powers, and immense stupidity from
everyone around Marty.

Common to all STW's is the need to bash and abuse Akane Tendo in every possible way, and to then blame other people for being mean to the writer and
running away for a year or so.

... Oddly enough, I still have Guilty Pleasures of some of his older works. Especially the Labors he did with Grey, although that may because someone else
wrote the scenes I like... *Shrug*

His Evangelion story, as incomplete as it is, is a guilty pleasure of mine because the over-the-top stuff actually serves a plot purpose -- he's single-handedly trying to make it jump genre tracks into a genuine 70s-style giant robot series. And he pretty much succeeds, not so much by brute force but by convincing the people around him through the application of contagious tropes (and a little help near the end from an extra-mischievous Washuu). It's got some weird out-of-left-field stuff in it (like the throwaway bit about singing being a lost art in that world) and it then gangways directly into that weird Slayers/Dual crossover without really resolving the Eva stuff before grinding to a sudden incomplete halt, but it's still damned fun to read. Especially the "magical girl" stuff at the end, which I'm still planning to reference in DW6.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yea, that is far and away my favorite of his works up until the switch to Slayers. It might be simply because I don't truly like any of the Evangelion
characters so his character warping effect doesn't bother me there. Honestly I consider Skysaber's works to be like cotton candy. Little of real
substance, but fun 'tasting', and if you get to much of them it makes you sick.

EDIT: As a note on the first chapter; I seem to remember it was originally set up to be as cliched 'Things are Very Wrong Here' as possible to later
create friction between Azalea and Harry when she tried to act on her 'knowledge' of various people's true character, but who weren't actually
that way in Harry's world.

only a prologue of a potter/dresden fic. (it's in a rec thread)

http://forums.spacebattle...=146253&page=90#2236

You know, this thread isn't persuading me to read any of Skysaber's work . . .

I would recommend you read some of it, at least. At the very worst, you'll gain an understanding of why the people on this board mock him the way they do.
I typically notice the preachy Marty Stu with a megaharem, make ritualized expressions of disgust, and continue on, only to find that Skysaber can take
something I've read a hundred times in a direction I've never seen before. If nothing else, the guy's creative with every part of the plot that
doesn't involve his trainwrecks.

Who knows? You may even like it. I used to find his stuff really, really good. In fact, I think I still have most of his fics on a hard drive somewhere...

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I'm pretty fond of "Skysaber's Choice" even if some might say it falls under STW#1, just because no matter how powerful he gets, it never
really solves all his problems. (The first two chapters really set the tone - in the first, he gets an insane power up. In the second, the insane power up
turns out to be just barely enough for him to be useful in the world he finds himself in...)

Not to mention that I hate the whole "Spells R Us" concept with the fury of a thousand reyvateils casting Ar Tonelico at once, so any story where
someone puts one over on them gets bonus points from me.

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.

"So what if he destroys his adopted sisters self confidence with a series of curses and tortures that makes her think she's a worthless nobody and how
nice it was of her dear brother to help her? Lina Inverse is better as a broken bookworm anyway, right?"

He not only did that, he single handedly managed to ensure the destruction of the world, by keeping all the main characters from even starting their
quests.