Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers That Should Not Be 18: You'll have SO MANY CROSSOVERS! 400 CROSSOVERS!

We've decided to replace Contessa, member of Cauldron, with Contessa, member of V.I.L.E. Carmen will be happy, and I don't think that'll make Cauldron any more inefficient.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Here's a Crossover That Most Definitely Should NOT Be:

Sayonara Yotsubato Sensei!

Big Grin

"...'just another bank heist', Bain said.  'It'll be a piece of cake!', Bain said.  'What could possibly go wrong?'
Bet friggin' Bain didn't expect the friggin' UNDERSIDERS to run a heist in the middle of our heist.  Oh, no.  What are the odds of that??

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:Bluemage wrote:
"...'just another bank heist', Bain said.  'It'll be a piece of cake!', Bain said.  'What could possibly go wrong?'
Bet friggin' Bain didn't expect the friggin' UNDERSIDERS to run a heist in the middle of our heist.  Oh, no.  What are the odds of that??
Nate Ford: Parker, have you ever robbed  a bank that's being robbed?
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Quote:Seraviel wrote:
Quote:Bluemage wrote:
Nate Ford: Parker, have you ever robbed  a bank that's being robbed?

Hmmmm... leverage plus worm.....

Random crazy; Annette Hebert's maiden name might be, perhaps... Ford?

Nate hears about the locker incident soon after it happens, decides to take a stand supporting his niece - for Leverage timeline, say it's during the post-s1 break while the team is split up - and gives her a set of "don't get mad, get even" lessons in dealing with bullies. Taylor tells him (and her dad) about her powers, they help her plan her cape id and are generally supportive. Nate's told her about the advantages of working with a team, but doesn't trust the PRT (probably has Good Reasons), so she follows canon long enough to join the Undersiders. Along comes the bank job, Parker is there working her own heist...

Eventually various and sundry secrets are outed, and Leverage Inc takes up backing the Undersiders to help Taylor bring down Coil and rescue Dinah. Cue Nate: "Ok, let's steal a supervillain."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

A decidedly different, steampunk version of the Wild West: Cowboys and Engines.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Why should it not be? Wild Wild West was pretty cool, at least the 60s TV version.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
Why should it not be? Wild Wild West was pretty cool, at least the 60s TV version.
Absolutely. And the movie had potential to be good, I think. It would be interesting to try and write something using what the movie gave us (African-American Civil War veteran teamed up with inventor/master of disguise to deal with former Confederate forces led by a diehard secessionist) and see if something a little more elegant in the execution could be developed. (Unfortunately, it would require watching the movie again.)  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Plenty of chatter in the thread. If we're going to have SO MANY CROSSOVERS! 400 CROSSOVERS!, we're going to have to carpet-bomb the thread. So... bombs away!

How To Train Your Dragonball
How To Train Pete's Dragon
How To Train Your Dungeon
How To Train Your Dagon
How To Train Your Dragonrider (wait - is this the right thread?)

Star Trek: Voyager and Casablanca. Not an obvious crossover, but we'll always have Tom Paris.

Naru and Keitaro meet the Prince of Tennis, in 30-Love Hina

AD Tank Police
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"...for you, the day Doom visited your village was the worst day of your life.  But for Doom- ah, for Doom... it was Thursday.  The day Doom met Thursday Next, to be precise."

I've been writing a bit.

Harry Potter and V: "Yer a lizard, Harry."
-- Bob
---------

How to Papertrain your Dragon

"It's a M.A.D. world, Charlie Brown" - in which Penny Brown visits her cousin, with her dog and her uncle. Hijinks ensue.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

"You may have noticed that the Logout option has been disabled. I should also inform you that, starting now, if you die here in the game... you die in reality.
Welcome to Unlimited Blade Works Online."

There are other FSN/SAO XOvers, but I don't think anyone's taken it from this angle yet: an older Shirou Emiya, partway down the path from FSN!Shirou to Counter Guardian EMIYA, decides that the world needs more heroes... and since no one's stepping up, he's going to make those heroes, even if he kills a large percentage of the "aspirants" in the process.
Basically, this sprang from arguments online (particularly in ShockZ's "IWIW SAO" thread on Sufficient Velocity) of Kayaba's canonical motivations for the Death Game, which mostly seem to boil down to his wanting to create a "real" world with real adventures and heroes and monsters and villains (and yes, someone did draw the parallel between Kayaba and Quincy from Drunkard's Walk II). And it occurred to me, what if someone wanted to use the game to create real world heroes? And a Shirou not yet entirely gone EMIYA might just have the requisite ruthlessness, while still retaining enough of his original Hero Obsession....

Actually, I could see a fully Dark Knight Batman, feeling age creep up on him, doing this (not really killing the players, but *convincing* them he would), trying to grind down enough raw human ore to locate the tiny handful of diamonds in the rough fit to potentially be the next Robin... and/or Batman.
"Oh, McGuinness? You're father's not dead, by the way -- that was all just a VR simulation to let me measure your worthiness. You can thank me later."

And for an uglier XOver: Battle Royale Online. No need to worry about motivation there. And a virtual battlefield would be so much cheaper, and easier to control....

Quote:SkyeFire wrote:
"You may have noticed that the Logout option has been disabled. I should also inform you that, starting now, if you die here in the game... you die in reality.
Welcome to Unlimited Blade Works Online."

There are other FSN/SAO XOvers, but I don't think anyone's taken it from this angle yet: an older Shirou Emiya, partway down the path from FSN!Shirou to Counter Guardian EMIYA, decides that the world needs more heroes... and since no one's stepping up, he's going to make those heroes, even if he kills a large percentage of the "aspirants" in the process.
Basically, this sprang from arguments online (particularly in ShockZ's "IWIW SAO" thread on Sufficient Velocity) of Kayaba's canonical motivations for the Death Game, which mostly seem to boil down to his wanting to create a "real" world with real adventures and heroes and monsters and villains (and yes, someone did draw the parallel between Kayaba and Quincy from Drunkard's Walk II). And it occurred to me, what if someone wanted to use the game to create real world heroes? And a Shirou not yet entirely gone EMIYA might just have the requisite ruthlessness, while still retaining enough of his original Hero Obsession....
I drew the parallel (small internet isn't it?) and that's an interesting idea.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

I think this is a fundamentally flawed premise.  Thing is that if we take the stated motivation as his plan, all he'd end up doing is creating heroic cripples... that likely have no powers.  Thus be useless unless he is going to start turning people into cyborgs... or download them into homunculus and use them as 'AI's  in the same method as Ilya was or something.  Basically a super soldier program.  This is so maguslike in thinking it would obliterate UBW from this Shiro entirely.
In short... the crossover fails due to 'Shiro' being an In Name Only original character.  At that point, why bother making him named Shiro at all?  Even if you changed Shiro to the point the online world was basically and extension of his reality marble that causes anyone inside it to become a hero or die so their soul fuels other peoples transformations in heroes.  This would require impossible amounts of prana to make that function for years on end... If Gaia didn't smite him at all.  If I abuse the idea I come see an insane, grail corrupted Shiro hijacking their connections and making anyone who died in game enter a secondary world that basically was Gantz.  At that point they enter the real win or die scenario.  Though I don't think the magus mentality Shiro can still be Shiro enough to be Shiro.  So the crossover fails due to flawed mechanics rather than in concept.
OTOH, I think Shiro goes mad and ends up as the canon Gantz' in the ball Gantz.  EMIYA ending up so desperate for as semi-competent minion he starts bringing in subjects at near complete random does fit.  It would be so very much a rude gesture he'd commonly get if the useless, but unrekillable dog was his success story.  You wouldn't even need to change anything in the plot until the point Gantz gets out of the ball, and then puts on pants and annoys the male lead by following him into combat and declares him Shiro's new plucky sidekick.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9740933/1/ ... ion-Online

Fate/Revelation Online
Premise: Kayaba Akihiko is a Magus. And has decided to run a grand experiment.

On release day, he has a little addition to the usual spiel: "Today, we introduce Sword Art Online's Magic System."

Tutorials have been made available through the game and integrated into the plot. To turn ten thousand gamers into Mages.

Oh, and Ilya and Shiro are playing.

Oops.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
SAO/In Nomine
Both Heaven and Hell have always worried that, someday, some sort of unambiguous evidence would appear that would reveal the War to the mass of humanity. It's just that nobody ever expected that it would be shrink-wrapped - or available in any computer store with any pretensions towards coolness, for that matter.

This unlikely camel's straw is a new VR MMO RPG called Sword Art Online. The premise is fairly straightforward: the protagonist plays a human fighting their way up a fantasy castle so vast that entire miles-wide landscapes occupy its hundred floors. Simple enough, and harmless ... theoretically.

The first problem is that following the Beta, the game's designer decided to use the radical new computer interface (the NerveGear) to kill anyone who died in the game. Or anyone who was logged out by those around them. The player's log out button was deactivated.

Horrific as this was, if that was all it was then it'd probably have come down to some frustrated Malakim and Cherubim going looking for Kayaba Akihiko to show him the real art of the sword - and possibly a screaming match between Vapula and Jean.

Unfortunately the setting the players were then dumped into wasn't the flying castle of Aincrad. It was the first circle of Hell, right inside the Gates of Hell - and the Angels of Fiery Judgement don't let anyone out.

The players are teleported not to the starter city but to a vast hall surrounded by a fiery landscape. Kayaba Akihiko is looking down at them from a balcony.

"Attention players. Now, as the more perceptive of you... CAN YOU ALL HEAR ME AT THE BACK? Good, now where was I? Ah, as the more perceptive of you have probably realised by now, this is Hell and I'll be your Devil for stay here. You can call me Lucy, if you like. Why not be informal here, as well as infernal...? Just my little joke."

"Now, I'm sure you've all noticed the logout button is missing from the main menu, so you're all going to be here for quite a long time. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to get to know each other... except for those whose friends and families have chosen to remove their nervegear."

"No, they haven't escaped. Instead the 213 players in that situation will be in another Hell for all eternity... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Those neat little helmets of all are programmed to introduce your brains to a powerful burst of microwaves if... now let me see... oh yes. If anyone tries to remove them or if you die in this game."

"WILL YOU STOP SCREAMING! Now, any questions?"

"Why am I doing this? Why because I'm your Devil, remember? Anything else?"

"No... can't help you there. This is a video game, so there are no toilets. Damnation without relief, if you've read your bible."

"How do you get out? Finally, a good question! Well, of course, Hell has a way out. You just have to descend through all nine Circles of Hell, defeating the Demon Princes that rule each Principality and then dethrone Lucifer - that's me - in the Lower Hells."

"Now then." He checks his clipboard again. "I believe we've covered everything, so this concludes your orientation for Damnation Online. I'd wish you all a good day... but that's not precisely the idea."

There was however, one way out of this death-trap - a way that didn't involve condemning yourself to the real Hell through suicide, that was. The 10,000 players had to fight their way down all nine Circles of Hell, through the Principalities of every Demon Prince (including Shal-Mari, the legendary city of wickedness), enter the Lower Hells and there defeat in combat Lucifer himself. Upon his defeat, so swore Kayaba.
And as it happened, Kayaba was as good as his word.

One heroic mortal with a sword managed to defeat the game's Lucifer and upon this victory Kayaba logged the players out.

Justice had been done, and with a sword. Archangel Laurence would be proud to pledge that hero as a Soldier of God.

Lucifer, it is said, has indicated he'd very much like to give this hero his personal attention should he happen to end up in Hell.

Of course, that's where the problem is. Thousands of surviving players have been released back into their Earthly lives with months of experience of dealing with what - judging by descriptions quickly obtained by both sides - was a very accurate idea of what Demons are really like. Including what they do on Earth.

Eventually someone's going to put two and two together and come up with 'Hey! These buggers are actually wandering around!' - then proceed to post this epiphany on every computer board that he or she can access.

This will be bad. The last thing anybody needs is even a distorted version of the Truth out there. Hell doesn't want to be shot at and too many of Heaven's defense strategies require a human populace that won't joggle their collective elbows.

Just to make things a hair more tense, 300 of the surviving players weren't logged out. And Servitors of both sides have confirmed that some manner of Infernal Intervention took place. This confirms in the mind of Dominic that the entire matter is the fault of Vapula but in fact he's wrong.

In fact, it's the fault of a disaffected Servitors of Lightning . You see, once upon a time there was a certain Outcast Seraphim of Lightning who got that way from arguing one too many times that the Archangel of Lightning's policy of suppressing anti-demonic devices among humans, well, sucked. Normally, Jean probably would have just reassigned the Servitor, but it really isn't a good idea to give even an Elohite Superior the finger.

Left to his own devices in his role as Kayaba Akihio, the Seraph went ahead to pursue his goals. He's even managed to escape heavenly justice for this, since he was portraying Lucifer in the game and in defeat scattered his forces among the surviving players.

a/n: those familiar with the SJG website for In Nomine will probably note I cribbed quite a lot of the text from one of the fan scenarios - partly because its a direct inspiration.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

From the "how does that even make sense??" department:

Captain John Watson of Virginia.

(The other way around - Captain John Carter of the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers, or alternatively of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot - might be a little easier to make sense out of, but not very much.)

We've replaced Doctor Mother with Dr. Tran.  Let's see what happens.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:The Wanderer wrote:
From the "how does that even make sense??" department:

Captain John Watson of Virginia.

(The other way around - Captain John Carter of the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers, or alternatively of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot - might be a little easier to make sense out of, but not very much.)
Jack Harkness, Warlord of Mars.
(What? They're both Captains, and they're both American. Sort of. I suspect that Jack's adventures on the Red Planet would be a lot less safe for work, though.)

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Only marginally. Dejah Thoris is already (un)dressed for action, after all.
-- Bob
---------

And that leads to 'Jack Sparrow, Warlord of Mars.' (Savvy?)

Quote:Timote wrote:
And that leads to 'Jack Sparrow, Warlord of Mars.' (Savvy?)
And now I'm imagining Jack Slash falling into a vat of chemicals, and coming out with bleached-white skin, green hair, and a big ol' smile...

I've been writing a bit.

Hmmmmm... When it comes to some of these crossovers, I don't know Jack.

So I'll give you one that doesn't make sense unless you know a fair bit about Ottawa:
John Carter, Warlord of Kars
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012