Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers That Should Not Be 19: Making no sense, right from the gecko

On May 4th, NASA's Cassini tweeted this pic:[Image: CEK3jVVVAAAGTI4.jpg]

Which leads to a CTSNB:  Star Wars and David Weber's 5th Imperium series.

Quote:SkyeFire wrote:
On May 4th, NASA's Cassini tweeted this pic:[Image: CEK3jVVVAAAGTI4.jpg]

Lol. I've often described the 5th Imperium as considering the Death Star to be, shall we say, a bloated, undegunned, poorly designed, unmaneuverable, undergunned, poorly shielded, slow, undergunned, overmanned, overbudgeted, and did I mention undergunned?, frigate.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECSNorway Wrote:
Quote:SkyeFire wrote:On May 4th, NASA's Cassini tweeted this pic:

Lol. I've often described the 5th Imperium as considering the Death Star to be, shall we say, a bloated, undegunned, poorly designed, unmaneuverable, undergunned, poorly shielded, slow, undergunned, overmanned, overbudgeted, and did I mention undergunned?, frigate.
Never read any Weber, myself ... but I think the Galactic Patrol and its Lensmen would consider the Death Star to be a small boat.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Quote:SkyeFire wrote:On May 4th, NASA's Cassini tweeted this pic:

Never read any Weber, myself ... but I think the Galactic Patrol and its Lensmen would consider the Death Star to be a small boat.
The first book in the series, Mutineer's Moon, should be available as a free download from Baen's website.
The basic premise is that Earthly humanity is descended from the crew of a giant alien spacecraft that were stranded here in the system by a mutiny onboard.
Said spacecraft is still here. It's seen by billions of people every day.
Of course, it's covered with a few miles of rock and we call it "The Moon", but it's there.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I'm fairly sure that the whole series was included on the Honorverse CDs, one of the later ones at least. I honestly like them and Path of the Fury better than the Honorverse proper, especially the latter.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
I'm fairly sure that the whole series was included on the Honorverse CDs, one of the later ones at least. I honestly like them and Path of the Fury better than the Honorverse proper, especially the latter.
which can be found at
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Blame "Cybersox13" on the DAZ3D forums for this one:

50 Shades Of Zane Grey

(I was tempted to reply with 50 Shades of Dorian Gray, but that's just The Picture of Dorian Gray...)
--
Rob Kelk

Michael Garibaldi and Steve McGarrett star in Babylon Five-O.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

(chiming in waaay late, but..)

I think the Death Star is the wrong shape to really resonate with the Lensmen series aesthetic.  Doc's Skylark series, OTOH....  Big Grin

(The "Skylark of Valeron," IIRC, carried the previous (2nd-previous?) model in a hangar bay in case it were ever needed for... well... some secondary task.  And when you consider said "lesser version" was once used to destroy a galaxy-dominating fleet simply by ramming them all at Ludicrous Speed...  The Trope about fiction writers having no sense of scale could use Doc as its poster child, except that Doc quite possibly did have a sense of scale -- he simply treated it like the laws of physics -- a minor obstacle to be walked all over using Rule of Cool boots)

Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Michael Garibaldi and Steve McGarrett star in Babylon Five-O.
   Hmmm... you could conceivably build a "ring pool" around the inner circumference of B5 for the opening-credits surfing scene (I know classic 5-O, not the modern reboot), but how would you generate the waves?   And how long before Ivanova shuts the whole thing down because the wobbling induced by surfers' Ring Wave Generators is making the whole station unstable and preventing her from getting a full night's sleep?

Quote:SkyeFire wrote:  (The "Skylark of Valeron," IIRC, carried the previous (2nd-previous?) model in a hangar bay in case it were ever needed for... well... some secondary task.  And when you consider said "lesser version" was once used to destroy a galaxy-dominating fleet simply by ramming them all at Ludicrous Speed...  The Trope about fiction writers having no sense of scale could use Doc as its poster child, except that Doc quite possibly did have a sense of scale -- he simply treated it like the laws of physics -- a minor obstacle to be walked all over using Rule of Cool boots)
Planet-dominating, not galaxy dominating.
Skylark of Space was the globe-shaped ship used in the first book to travel to Osnome and took considerable hull damage just from proximity to the team's X-splosive ammunition during a gunfight.
Skylark Two was a rebuild using arenak, which proceeded to bulldoze through the Mardonale fleet when Seaton decided that the hull-thickness and drive power was enough greater than Mardonalian ships to make it a viable target.
Skylark Three was the three kilometer-long Urvanian-built hull fitted out by the Norlamians for Seaton to use against the Fenachrone and carried Skylark Two as one of its auxiliaries. Probably a good thing since Three was obliterated unceremoniously at the beginning of the next novel in the series.
Skylark of Valeron - the ship used once they get to throwing planets and even stars around like marbles - was spherical once more and around 1000km large since that was as small as they could make some of the apparatus aboard and still make it precise enough to control the end-effects of the projectors over the intergalactic distances. (Seaton notes that for what he has in mind the preferred size would have been four light years which he admits wouldn't be practical). As with Skylark Three, the Skylark of Valeron used Skylark Two as an auxiliary craft.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

It is said that when Loviatar first
came to Abier Toril, although cruel and taking pleasure in the
suffering of others, she was capable of compassion and kindness along
with her cruelty. However Bane, or so it is said, desired a minion
and came to her feigning romance. He courted her and after a time
persuaded her that these were weaknesses and she'd be more attractive
to him without them.

So she took up a stone from the shore
of a sunless river, deep in the underdark, and forced her emotions
into it. The essence of stone entered her own heart and her
compassion and kindness entered the stone. Eventually she became the
cruel and stony hearted goddess that is known to this day. And Bane
laughed, and bound her as his slave, and she no longer had the will
to resist.

However, the stone remained, and being
filled with divine compassion, even from so cruel a goddess, begun to
blaze with a holy light, bringing warmth and light to the dark river
it came from. Thus the stone became known as the Sunstone and . . . .

“Dude, keep your sexual fetishes out
of the game, OK?”

So, what's the crossover? It's probably obvious if you already know, but I don't get it.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Sunstone.

Jinx999 Wrote:Sunstone.
Which one?

(I get the feeling, from the context, that it isn't the Mormon magazine.)
--
Rob Kelk

Okay. I've managed to cross Cody Banks into a world with Ra's al-Ghul in it and made it work! What have you done today?
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

Came up with a Naruto idea that works off of a Leslie Fish song "Foxwoman" and put Harry Dresden post Skin Game at 4th year Hogwarts

Quote:Jinx999 wrote:
Sunstone.
Which one?

(I get the feeling, from the context, that it isn't the Mormon magazine.)
Sunstone is an R rated webconic about a pair of Lesbians who are also into bondage and Dom/Sub games from what I know of it

Harry Potter's alternate godfather: Sirius Blackadder.
Edit:  And five minutes later, I'm finding myself suddenly visualizing Wormtail as Baldrick, Moony as George, and Prongs as Lord Flasheart...  And Snape as Melchett.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

More of a concept crossover, this one. SAO with something like the Worm fanfic "Working As Intended," where Taylor gets the power to "hack" the powers of other Capes, but only as if she were an admin trying to playtest and balance the Beta rollout of an MMO.

So, now I'm imagining an SAO character (first choice, Argo, for the lulz) getting some sort of hacky semi-Admin access to Cardinal (or perhaps Cardinal is playing along slightly because it's developed its own agenda), where she can "tweak" various players, bosses, drops, dungeons, etc, but only as long as she stays within certain boundaries. Sort of like using pebbles to steer an avalanche.

MLP:FIM and the Halo series of games.  Particularly Halo: Combat Evolved.  For no other reason than to hear the Grunts scream "Bad PONY!"

Fairly sure that this is a CTSNB, but it fits together so well...
Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night...
The young girl shuddered as the spell began, stifling a gasp. She'd cast
some big spells before, but this one was really tough! Still, she
soldiered on.
King of Darkness, shining like gold upon the Sea of Chaos...
Elsewhere, an effigy of a man paused in mid-crouch, its head cocked. The
cat it was holding took this opportunity to jump to the ground,
slinking away in amused satisfaction.

[CURIOSITY]
I call upon thee!

The entity felt a drain on its reserves of power. It was a bare fraction
of a fraction of what it possessed, yet still enough to rend a mountain
asunder.

[IRRITATION]
Swear myself to thee!

This time, it felt something returned to it- information. Shards grew
and shifted as data- everything that the child had ever been, done, or
learned- streamed into it. Much of it, the entity discarded as
useless... but the concept of 'magic', and the theories developed on its
use? Those, it kept.
Let those who are before me be destroyed by the power that you and I possess!

Meanwhile, the child on the other end of the link floated in midair, her
hair- once red, but getting lighter every second- fluttering in a
nonexistent breeze. All of her will was focused on one thing- finishing
the spell. Making something happen.

[AGREEMENT]

The entity felt the concept behind her spoken words, and approved.
Shards, newly forged and incredibly old alike, awoke, giving the power
the girl had tapped shape and purpose. The entity reached out for the
girl along the connection she had forged, growing closer... CLOSER...
[GIGA SLAAAAAAAVE!]

Contact.

For a brief moment, the two were as one. The spell was released, and a lake became a sea of death.

Then they separated, the girl and the entity. Their connection faded
into darkness, though neither would be the same. The girl would grow up
to become a great and terrible source of conflict, learning arcane lore
in abundance, refining it through battle.

The entity simply stood up, showing no sign of having been motionless
for minutes on end. One corner of its mouth rose, hesitantly, jerkily,
into an approximation of a grin.

Then, it disappeared.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Okay, I recognize Slayers.... What's the other one?

The webserial Worm, I would guess.

... my god, it's full of stars ...
--