Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV

What? Are they direct copying pages from ATT or something?

Dartz Wrote:What? Are they direct copying pages from ATT or something?
I have not gone and looked. I suspect Bob is speaking about the change of license at TVTropes that went into effect after he was no longer able to remove his work from the site... but I may be wrong.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Actually, it's a feature of the creative commons license.  They redistributed his work under terms not allowed under the original license, therefore their license to distribute that content (and all derivatives thereof) is terminated.  Pages like "Mahou Sensei Negima" (+ trope subpages), "Neon Genesis Evangelion", "Getting Crap Past The Radar" and "MST3K Mantra" are copyright infringement, because TV Tropes no longer has a license from Bob to distribute them.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Actually, it's a feature of the creative commons license.  They redistributed his work under terms not allowed under the original license, therefore their license to distribute that content (and all derivatives thereof) is terminated.  Pages like "Mahou Sensei Negima" (+ trope subpages), "Neon Genesis Evangelion", "Getting Crap Past The Radar" and "MST3K Mantra" are copyright infringement, because TV Tropes no longer has a license from Bob to distribute them.

Yeah, and since the license was changed to illegal terms twice over, I'd support Bob suing Eddie for infringement, if only because he's slapping Bob in the face by using his content without consent, and he's also slapping the concept for free content licenses in the face by wiping his ass with them in the name of his greed,

On the one hand, it'd amuse me. On the other, legal actions like this can be pretty ruinous even if they're won.

Which is one reason I haven't actually done anything but speculate.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I hate to be the complainer again, but we've been having 504 errors since at least 9 PM EST last night, with only intermittent windows of usability. What's going on?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I hate to be the complainer again, but we've been having 504 errors since at least 9 PM EST last night, with only intermittent windows of usability. What's going on?

I noticed, looking into it.

Okay, thanks. Whatever's going on is kind of strange -- I can see pages, I can get diffs, I can get recent changes. And as I just discovered, I can edit and save some pages -- Sturgeon's Law/Quotes gave me no problems, nor did Trope Workshop:Slow Left Hand. But a simple edit on Pride and Prejudice 504s out.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, thanks. Whatever's going on is kind of strange -- I can see pages, I can get diffs, I can get recent changes. And as I just discovered, I can edit and save some pages -- Sturgeon's Law/Quotes gave me no problems, nor did Trope Workshop:Slow Left Hand. But a simple edit on Pride and Prejudice 504s out.

We're looking into it. We seem to be having power spikes on prod8 and 9, trying to determine the issue.

Good luck. Things have been mostly behaving this afternoon -- I think I only got one 504. But I haven't been as active as I usually am -- it's not been a slow day today.

At least the scripts are working!
Edit:  And I spoke too soon.  Two minutes after I posted that, I hit "Random Page" and it promptly branched to Poughkeepsie.  Hello, 504. 
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Good luck. Things have been mostly behaving this afternoon -- I think I only got one 504. But I haven't been as active as I usually am -- it's not been a slow day today.

At least the scripts are working!

Edit:  And I spoke too soon.  Two minutes after I posted that, I hit "Random Page" and it promptly branched to Poughkeepsie.  Hello, 504.

Still not sure exactly what's been causing the spikes, but the servers for the wikis have had a low load. Regardless, I know we've been importing a rather large XML dump for another wiki, and the importdump script tends to be a resource hog, so it could be affecting us by proxy.

Hopefully should be done by tomorrow.

Geth or Brent, could you take a look at [[Pride and Prejudice], please? It insists on 504ing when I try to submit even the smallest edit. Other pages save just fine.
Edit:  The Special page Reset Password 504s instead of doing anything, apparently.  I noticed this while seeing if I could fix the problems User:Spike the Cat (aka User:Spike the Cat II) has run into. 
-- Bob
---------

Yeah, this is getting pretty bad. I'm haunting IRC all day today until we get this fixed PDQ.

Edit: John has patched all of the issues (and is trying to make sure we have none left, turned out nginx was being stupid), I'm going to working my butt off myself most of today to make sure any other issues are handled. Also, looks like Brent will soon get that SEO extension we always wanted so we can increase our Google pagerank, and even though I'm not a raging fan of it, installing MediaViewer as an opt-in Beta Feature since it works even better than that lightbox gadget I recently installed.

UPDATE: Good news and bad news kids: Got MediaViewer added and all the retarded permission errors with nginx should be dealt with, so no more 504 BS (hopefully). Bad news, WikiSEO still isn't up due to some broken hook errors, will try that again at a later date.

Give me a holler if anything else is broke.

On the subject of Google pagerank, I've been noticing that the Allthetropes Wikia is tending to show up much higher than us if I use Google to find a page directly. I'd like to express concern that having two almost identical wikis might tend to split our casual userbase when it comes to Google rankings.
-- Bob
---------

The problem is that Wikia has a higher search rank overall, hence the issue you encountered.

I could remedy that by reverting the title to something else, any ideas?

Not really, no. I understand why it's named as it is, and I wouldn't insist on reverting it. It's just, well, what happened/happens, that's all.
-- Bob
---------

Google can be a crapshoot as it's adjusting what it offers according to your search history and profile... it's offering what it thinks you might like to find rather than what you're actively looking for, which can be an incredibly frustrated thing when it's accompanied by a 'Did you mean'.

Although I will say in some situations I've see ATT outrank TvT. But that's not really a general thing.

Okay, this is weird. I Googled on "all the tropes goon show" to find a link to that page. A link to Spike Milligan's page came sixth in the results, so I went there instead -- only to get
Quote:There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.
from Internet Explorer. Oddly, no other page I've gone to from Google gives me this, and going to the home page of the wiki and just navigating via search for Spike Miligan doesn't throw the error either. Just when I come from Google.
-- Bob
---------

Yeah, informed John of the error, weird domain registration issue, should be fixed.

Some time in the last three minutes the entire wiki went 403.
-- Bob
---------

Not just ATT - my wiki went 403 as well.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Not just ATT - my wiki went 403 as well.
Most of Orain went screwy, for two reasons:

1. HHVM is being a retard again.
2. Bit low on space on prod8.

Need to get John to work on that.

Next Wednesday is payday for me - please remind me to visit Orain's "donate" page and kick you enough to get another VM (or SAN space, whichever you need more) for a year.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Next Wednesday is payday for me - please remind me to visit Orain's "donate" page and kick you enough to get another VM (or SAN space, whichever you need more) for a year.

Will do. The low disk space comes from importing a wiki that is probably the second largest after ATT, so yeah, more space is always good, and I'll ask John (who I just emailed about the issues) what our requirements are.

As for HHVM, can't fix that on my end, but I told him we need it fixed PDQ.

Edit: ATT is back up, HHVM is working again, so other wikis should work now.