Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part V

Fair enough. It hurts, but it's not crippling.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Good news, import of content dump in progress. Also, good news Rob Kelk, they do have a Poser Daz Freebies wiki backup lying around, get in touch with SouthParkFan of IRC or email to get it set up. Smile

GethN7 Wrote:Good news, import of content dump in progress. Also, good news Rob Kelk, they do have a Poser Daz Freebies wiki backup lying around, get in touch with SouthParkFan of IRC or email to get it set up. Smile
PM sent to you. The only way I knew to contact the Orain staff was through Orain, and I don't have an IRC client installed...

EDIT: And here's my notes to get the freebie wiki running again:
http://docs.google.com/document/d/1U8Q ... sp=sharing
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

... Geth, are you sure the backup is only three months old? I'm browsing some of the pages that have been loaded so far, and I'm coming across the "quote box" markup that I thought we purged entirely back in the first year of the wiki.
Edit:  And a lot of examples templates with "Examples:" as a parameter.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:... Geth, are you sure the backup is only three months old? I'm browsing some of the pages that have been loaded so far, and I'm coming across the "quote box" markup that I thought we purged entirely back in the first year of the wiki.

Edit:  And a lot of examples templates with "Examples:" as a parameter.

A lot of the extensions we use for fleshing out templates, like Arrays/ScribUnto, those are not activated yet, so they are working in "fallback" mode. Some pages also may have been updated in the last few months that were not included prior to June 2015.

How difficult would it be to write a bot to list the names of all the new pages somewhere? This is so we know what needs to be added to the list of all wiki pages, so we can export the entire wiki to a backup.

Or is there an easier way to offsite-backup the entire wiki than listing all the pages in the export function?

(Obviously, I want this for the freebie wiki once it's back online, but we might want it for ATT as well.)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:GethN7 wrote:
 A lot of the extensions we use for fleshing out templates, like Arrays/ScribUnto, those are not activated yet, so they are working in "fallback" mode. Some pages also may have been updated in the last few months that were not included prior to June 2015.
I hope you're right.  I was simply going down the bluelinks on the list of pages created on my user page, and I was sure I had dealt with a lot of those in the first few months of the original wiki's life.
-- Bob
---------

No need to panic, got an update. They are uploading a full revision dump (a complete history version, not just the latest revision), and it got farbled up when it was uncompressed from gzipped format when it was sent, so they are getting a new one from addshore, who confirms the originals are fine.

The images are also being downloaded so we can get those back up too.

And I see the freebie wiki is starting to come back, too. 8)

I've activated my account on ATT - I'll let you folks decide what rights it gets.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay.... I opened up the main page just to look at it, and my username had changed to Reception followed by 3 numerals. I logged out and tried to log back in, and it insisted my password was wrong. I eventually requested a password reset... and no email came. Help?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay.... I opened up the main page just to look at it, and my username had changed to Reception followed by 3 numerals. I logged out and tried to log back in, and it insisted my password was wrong. I eventually requested a password reset... and no email came. Help?

DON'T PANIC, this is explainable.

Since we are restoring from a full revision dump and this will take forever if we let it link everything in the database properly, that step is being skipped will we just get it all back, THEN the database is being fixed up so it all links properly.

What you saw is normal, it's why there is a message NOT TO EDIT ANYTHING, the database is in flux right now, it will be fixed once the already halfway done import is finished, and I will let you guys know when it's kosher to edit.

Also, more news, we are working on getting fullblown internal searches work on ATT again, but if we can't get CirrusSearch, we can always fallback to using Google, but John is willing to blow the money we need to spend to have a server dedicated for that purpose, especially since Brent dropped him a few hundred for that goal.

All of our old features are being bugtested and enabled in the meantime, to make sure we don't have issue with any of them when we completely resume operations.

Again, I will let you all know when we can post safely.

Not planning on editing -- but the list of pages I created on my userpage is a good "thermometer" for loading the database -- the bluer the page gets, the better.
-- Bob
---------

At least Google has an up-to-date cache of my Reincarnation Fantasy page. I've added it to archive.is, if that helps. There's tons more work to do, I'm sure, but I'd be in way over my head trying to help on the larger scale.

Pronounced "shy guy."

*Comes to ATT to see if anyone's done anything with DSKS on the offhand, discovers a meltdown of epic proportions.*

Holy hell! I seriously hope you guys find this bastard. Don't really care if he/she is some 'special snowflake' hikikomori living in their parent's basement, this is inexcusable.

That said, good luck in getting things back up to speed.

I don't know how these things work, but maybe someone should flag out ATT's new home to Google and the other search engines? Google is still pointing at the old Orain domain when I searched for ATT.

I was asked to leave this message here:

Hi guys,

My name is Southparkfan, a Miraheze staff member (some of you might also know that I was an Orain staff member in the past) that is responsible for the import of All The Tropes. The import is going a bit slow but well, and it shouldn't take too long anymore before the wiki is fully imported. Currently there are 258582 pages imported, and 144341 of them are articles (http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... Statistics is not trustworthy at this moment due to technical issues who will be fixed after the import).

We will be doing a reimport soon, and this time we know where things went wrong, so please bear with us, more time is needed, this is a big job, but we ARE working on it.

Labster provided me with some images which will be imported asap too. The Forum: pages are currently not imported, but I will restore them from my backup so we can convert them too Flow. I'll also talk to GethN7 and Labster if they want VisualEditor enabled on All The Tropes, and/or some various other features we're happy to offer.

I hopefully gave you enough information about how things are going on now, but if you want to know more please do not hesitate to send us an email (sysadmin[at]miraheze[dot]org) or contact us on IRC (#miraheze on irc.freenode.net).

-- Southparkfan, Miraheze system administrator

I do need to mention the above explains why it wasn't kosher to edit until he was done (we have a few database hiccups as a result), but the good news is that I sent SPF a possible fix that won't involve doing the whole import over again.

I have also requested that yes, LiquidThreads be replaced by Flow (we can always fall back to LQT if worse comes to worse) and VisualEditor be added as an option. I'm not a raging fan of the latter, but since the default editor will always be there, just consider VisualEditor a WYSIWYG alternative.

Also, I ask everyone please don't panic if if looks like we're down. To prevent a repeat of what happened before, ATT is down from public view until the import is finished.

Someone over on SV has noticed and has quoted this thread.

http://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... sed.22374/

Black Aeronaut Wrote:Someone over on SV has noticed and has quoted this thread.

I'm afraid they have the wrong idea. I am quite sure Tv Tropes had absolutely nothing to do with this. It was an attack on Orain and related entities, that we know for certain.

I created a thread over on SB as well.  If anyone on here wants to comment there, then please do so! (Hint, hint.)

Quote:GethN7 wrote:
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Someone over on SV has noticed and has quoted this thread.
I'm afraid they have the wrong idea. I am quite sure Tv Tropes had absolutely nothing to do with this. It was an attack on Orain and related entities, that we know for certain.
That maybe so, but it's damning evidence that the attacks on Miraheze didn't start until after it was put out that what was left of ATT was going to be ported over.
Or did I draw the wrong inference?

Besides, I never said that Fast Eddie himself had anything to do with this.  After everything that's happened in the past, that's tantamount to suicide.  I just think one of his fanboys has maybe gone off their meds.

Good news. The TEXT is now all up on Miraheze. Most of our extensions and the images aren't, not to mention we can't edit yet, but all the scaffolding is down and the basic aspects of the house are there, we just need to turn on the utilities and move in the furniture.

You can read, but not edit, more or less.

SPF told me he'll remove the read only flag when it's ready, but good news, the text is fine. Some of the logs are a bit messed up, but some of those were always messed up even on Orain. Even Wikipedia rarely trusts most of their own logs anymore, so that's no major problem.

Addshore also posted this: please spread the word, it cocnerns what happened:

http://addshore.com/2015/09/downfall-of-orain/

So, is there any way to export the entire wiki other than the wiki's Export function under Special Pages? For obvious reasons, I want to make regular off-site backups, but that interface is a bit clunky...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:So, is there any way to export the entire wiki other than the wiki's Export function under Special Pages? For obvious reasons, I want to make regular off-site backups, but that interface is a bit clunky...

Tools for that can be found here:

http://github.com/WikiTeam/wikiteam

Also, I'm in discussion with Orain Staff (heard back from Dusti too), and they have proposed restoring the original ATT on the reborn Orain should they be able to do so. If they do, we will still have forks on Miraheze and Wikia, we'll just have another place to trope as well. A fallback wiki, more or less.

So far we're still discussing it, it's on the table for now, will keep you all posted as to what develops.

Our Miraheze fork is in the process of enabling our remaining features and importing our images, this could take another day or so.

I won't be able to keep up with two different wikis -- I'll have to leave one to focus on the other.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I won't be able to keep up with two different wikis -- I'll have to leave one to focus on the other.

Oh, I agree, it will be a fallback site for us if Miraheze dies, and since Wikia has proven to be a decent draw for some users, this just spreads the wealth around further.

Basically, we'd have three branches that could share content, you can stick with the one you prefer.

Of course, this is not a done deal. Orain has to prove to me they can restore us to our antebellum condition first or as close as possible. If they can't, this is off the table.

To expedite getting us up sooner, I trimmed down the list of things we need up to the absolute essentials, all our other features can be added later.

I did this since SPF has been working his tail off for us and has a LOT of other duties besides helping us to do, and I respect that.