Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part V

robkelk Wrote:I just made a feature request for this extension for the freebie wiki - one of my more eager editors wants the functionality there. Do we also want the extension on ATT?
We have it:

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Spe ... gorySearch

It's kinda broke right now though.

Speaking of broke, Liquid Threads is still dead for me -- and Lua and the top-of-page user menu have been cycling between broken and unbroken for me all day.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Speaking of broke, Liquid Threads is still dead for me -- and Lua and the top-of-page user menu have been cycling between broken and unbroken for me all day.
It should be fixed for now, but here's why it keeps happening:

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/issues/650

The problem is that the degeneration I menitoned is not easy to fix. Some of the extensions responsible, like the language translation extensions (known bug according to Phabricator) cannot be removed without heavily crippling the entire farm, nor can they be disabled, so until we can get an autorun forced LC refresh running at least twice a day (ideally, every hour), I've been doing that all MW servers every tiem I notice an issue.

Feel free to add your own notes if you notice other issues, and again, yell at me via email, IRC, my talk page, or here if I fall asleep at the wheel.

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:I just made a feature request for this extension for the freebie wiki - one of my more eager editors wants the functionality there. Do we also want the extension on ATT?
We have it:

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Spe ... gorySearch

It's kinda broke right now though.
So I see...

I shouldn't expect it on the freebie wiki in the next five minutes, then. (Not a problem; we need to add categories to some pages there anyway.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Is it just me, or does anyone else find Jdogno11 extremely irritating?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else find Jdogno11 extremely irritating?

I pride myself on patience, but even I find him very contrarian, verging on grating.

And his particular proposed change doesn't make sense, either. Deus:God:Big Grinea:Goddess, after all (which I've posted in a more easily-read format in the forum thread).
--
Rob Kelk

Oh-oh... I'm getting 404 - Wiki not found errors on the freebie wiki. They're intermittent and there seems to be no pattern to them, but I got one when I clicked on the "Save page" button of a page I was editing...
--
Rob Kelk

I noticed. Seems to be an ansible related issue, just forced updates on all MW servers, that should flush it, let me know if that doesn't help.

Update; Updating from the WMF servers is a little borked right now, out of our hands, should straighten itself out when the WMF slaps it back in shape, which shouldn't be very long.

robkelk Wrote:Oh-oh... I'm getting 404 - Wiki not found errors on the freebie wiki. They're intermittent and there seems to be no pattern to them, but I got one when I clicked on the "Save page" button of a page I was editing...

Filed issue report:

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/issues/671

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Oh-oh... I'm getting 404 - Wiki not found errors on the freebie wiki. They're intermittent and there seems to be no pattern to them, but I got one when I clicked on the "Save page" button of a page I was editing...

Filed issue report:

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/issues/671
The second reply there tells me exactly what's wrong. Nothing you or I can fix without deleting files or balancing load differently.
--
Rob Kelk

Should be fixed now.

Okay. Jdogno11 again.

I've been trying to be neutral and not react impulsively to this guy. I've valiantly refrained from jumping into the middle of the various threads he's in and making things worse.

That said, we really do need to do something about him. Can we create a special "everything but moving pages" group to put him (and anyone else like him who might follow) into?
-- Bob
---------

You can remove his autopatrolled and confirmed flags, this should do the trick.

I think I'll do that very thing, and post a message on his user page explaining why.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think I'll do that very thing, and post a message on his user page explaining why.

Works for me.

And done. Now to see if he can learn and grow, or if he explodes into a rant about Nazis.
-- Bob
---------

I don't have access to Special:ReplaceText (which would have made my recent project of replacing "[[MS Ting]" with "[[MSTing]" much easier...)

Would somebody who does replace "[[2001: A Space Odyssey]" with "[[2001: A Space Odyssey]", please? I see no reason for the string to not link to the work's page, but it appears there are too many occurrences of the nowiki'ed string to replace manually.

The last time the cached copies of the "Maintenance reports" pages were updated, my mother was still alive. Shouldn't that have been fixed by now?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I don't have access to Special:ReplaceText (which would have made my recent project of replacing "[[MS Ting]" with "[[MSTing]" much easier...)

Would somebody who does replace "[[2001: A Space Odyssey]" with "[[2001: A Space Odyssey]", please? I see no reason for the string to not link to the work's page, but it appears there are too many occurrences of the nowiki'ed string to replace manually.

The last time the cached copies of the "Maintenance reports" pages were updated, my mother was still alive. Shouldn't that have been fixed by now?

First off, you are now an admin. You're incredibly trustworthy, so I don;t see why not. This also allows you to use ReplaceText.

Second, Cloudflare makes those reports useless. However, you can make a page using this as a workaround:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... kimedia%29

Use of this extension should produce lists with realtime results, so set yourself up a sandbox page and go nuts to find more accurate results.

Despite a purge of my browser cache, I still don't have a number of features, not the least of which is autocomplete in the browser window. This is beginning to annoy me.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Despite a purge of my browser cache, I still don't have a number of features, not the least of which is autocomplete in the browser window. This is beginning to annoy me.

It works fine if you're on a different skin. I recommend the Monaco skin (custom version by yours truly). Vector has gone retarded on ATT, some stuff works for some users, others it's doesn't. I also added some gadgets to make Monaco more useful for admins.

It's not a Cloudflare caching issue, I checked, seems to be Vector does a really bad job of updating individual user preferences in large user enviroments, part of the reason we're going to reattempt moving to MW 1.25 again sooner or later, as the 1.24 version has some known responsivity issues according to the commit history in the WMF repo.

Okay, I'll give that a try. And I'll try to get back to your email(s), too...
Edit:  Argh.  The preferences page just gives me
Quote:Internal error

[bb8da919] 2015-07-29 23:51:06: Fatal exception of type MWException
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, I'll give that a try. And I'll try to get back to your email(s), too...

Edit:  Argh.  The preferences page just gives me
Quote:Internal error

[bb8da919] 2015-07-29 23:51:06: Fatal exception of type MWException

Running a database flush and LC refresh soon, try again in a few minutes.

Also, just sent off an email to Dusti saying we need this fixed NOW.

Yeah, it came back. But changing my skin did nothing. Going in to preferences, turning everything I use off and then turning them back on did nothing either. No autocomplete, no edit reason drop downs, no syntax highlighting, no... well, nothing.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yeah, it came back. But changing my skin did nothing. Going in to preferences, turning everything I use off and then turning them back on did nothing either. No autocomplete, no edit reason drop downs, no syntax highlighting, no... well, nothing.

Flush your web cache and cookies, wait a day or so. It still needs to refresh the server, but it's more responsive than Vector.

Discovered we have some database issues, already filed a report, they may be what's causing Vector to update so slow for us, since ATT is one of several wikis that appear affected.