Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part V

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Um. Asking the Wayback Machine for all archived pages under http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/ gets a page that reports "3,825 URLs have been captured for this domain." We had a whole hell of a lot more pages than that. I filtered the results on various capitalizations of "RWBY" and got nothing at all. Filtering on "RW" gets only three pages:

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/My_N ... ot_Durwood
http://allthetropes.orain.org:80/wiki/Darwinia
http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Air ... scratchers

none of which are newer than November 2014.

The Wayback Machine is going to be mostly useless. Better to raid the Google cache while we can.
Agreed.

Addshore and SPFCloud are working on porting our wiki content to Miraheze, some progress should be available by tomorrow evening on that. I'm currently evalutating our needs for the new wiki (we will be upgrading from LiquidThreads to Flow, among other things), and I ask you all spread the word about needing to raid Google Cache while you can in the meantime.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Um. Asking the Wayback Machine for all archived pages under http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/ gets a page that reports "3,825 URLs have been captured for this domain." We had a whole hell of a lot more pages than that. I filtered the results on various capitalizations of "RWBY" and got nothing at all. Filtering on "RW" gets only three pages:

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/My_N ... ot_Durwood

http://allthetropes.orain.org:80/wiki/Darwinia

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Air ... scratchers

none of which are newer than November 2014.

The Wayback Machine is going to be mostly useless. Better to raid the Google cache while we can.

Edit:  I so did not need to learn about this today.  I've had a lousy week, a worse day, my lower back, left shoulder and head are all aching, and I am in the foulest mood.  Reading about this makes me want to just throw in the towel, especially if we lost three months' work.  And Miraheze is still throwing a pageload error on me.
My sympathies, Bob. I can say John is installing as much security as possible, will be providing regular backup services, and will be giving us constant support (more than we had with Orain), so in some ways it's not all bad, but yeah, if it makes you feel any better, I want to watch the bastard responsible for this shit get his ass kicked too.

FYI, John is getting our IP filtered (at minimum) and has RamNode notified about the idiot testing the DDoS waters, so things will be slow, but his servers are nowhere near any danger of being wiped, he should be good security wise by tomorrow, and has promised to keep me constantly notified.

Reminder: You CAN post stuff here in the meantime (or import from) our Wikia mirror:

http://allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/All_The_Tropes_Wiki

Our content should be reuploaded to our new Miraheze fork in a day or two.

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:I have some horrible news to report: Orain has been epically compromised, as in, raped to an absurd degree.

We were compromised at the server level, and all databases have been wiped. As in  sudo rm -rfed level wiped.

That includes ATT.

The GOOD news is that we have database backups from at least June 15th 2015, but all of Orain is utterly hosed.

I really, really hope three's something of the freebie wiki in there - because the Wayback Machine has only one page from my wiki.

If not, then over 2000 pages of content have disappeared.

Fuck.
There should be a backup by the WikiTeam, don't know how recent.

You can also trying scraping page sources off of the Wayback Machine.

Go here, set up an account, get your wiki created, and you can import the dump:

http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Miraheze

Already did the Wayback Machine scrape - one page.

Just finished the Google Cache scrape - 30 pages, including the About page.

I hope the other 2,177 pages are in the dump... Some of the pages can be rebuilt from data the editors have elsewhere, but not all.

EDIT: archive.is had four pages from my wiki, all from March - the main page (newer at Google), the About page (newer at Google), the statistics page, and the Recent Changes page (fat lot of good those two will do). I'm still getting timeouts at miraheze

RE-EDIT: Yahoo scrape only had stuff Google had newer copies of.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

As I said, John's currently getting RamNode to boost security, access will be crap since they are trying to prevent the apparent douche who nuked Orain from repeating history at Miraheze, should be fine by tomorrow.

Also, sorry to hear about that Rob, I think addshore has a copy of the Poser wiki backup too, try getting in touch with him.

P.S. - Miraheze is accessible to a very limited degree, this will be the case until John gets the better security installed by tomorrow. I'm currently going torough my hard drives and scraping all archives I can find to bring us back up ASAP.

GethN7 Wrote:As I said, John's currently getting RamNode to boost security, access will be crap since they are trying to prevent the apparent douche who nuked Orain from repeating history at Miraheze, should be fine by tomorrow.

Also, sorry to hear about that Rob, I think addshore has a copy of the Poser wiki backup too, try getting in touch with him.
I don't have his contact info. (My contact info is my board handle at gmail - but you already knew that.)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:As I said, John's currently getting RamNode to boost security, access will be crap since they are trying to prevent the apparent douche who nuked Orain from repeating history at Miraheze, should be fine by tomorrow.

I don't have his contact info. (My contact info is my board handle at gmail - but you already knew that.)

Messaged it to you here.

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:

Messaged it to you here.
Got it, and email sent. Thanks.

Logging off now...
--
Rob Kelk

Oh wow, I step out for a while, and look what happens.

As usual when an intrusion happens, consider your password on that site compromised. Since Orain upgraded to 1.24 about 6 months ago, the password hashes aren't stored in the previously awful format (just salted MD5), but instead are stored as pbkdf2 with 10000 rounds. So they will take a while to break, though you might not be worth the effort. Your call. If you haven't logged in in the last six months, your password is definitely worth the effort, because it wasn't updated.

So far as archive.org is concerned, it takes a few months for results to show up there. So it's possible that in 3-6 months, we might have a lot more content available. We can only hope.
-- ∇×V

We are confirmed up:

http://allthetropes.miraheze.org

If you have any page source from after June 15, 2015, feel free to upload them. Stuff will be messed up since we don't have the rest of the templates and site content as well as the extensions used for some stuff, but you can recreate pages with any page sources/recreated pages you have (cite where you found it on the Wayback Machine/Google Cache in the edit reason plz). Full content restoration will proceed in the next few days up to the latest backup, at least text. Images will need to be restored manually, though thankfully I and Vorticity have archives of almost all of those (though we'll have to use Vorticity's since it also has full attribution data.

I have confirmation from John Lewis he has already invested in DDoS protection and will pour more money into getting more if need be. He also willing to accept donations via Paypal, should we wish to donate, but that will not be needed at this time.

I will also not be staff, at least not to same level I was on Orain. I will be founder of ATT again, and possibly a global volunteer, but staff are selected differently, so I won't have God level access. However, we do have, frankly speaking, more regular, competent staff manning things and we are MUCH more stable.

ATT will NOT die on us again, and I have already made arrangements to have us backed up again so this crap won't happen once more, and will contact other archival services like the WikiTeam as a double failsafe.

We are confirmed up:

http://allthetropes.miraheze.org

If you have any page source from after June 15, 2015, feel free to upload them. Stuff will be messed up since we don't have the rest of the templates and site content as well as the extensions used for some stuff, but you can recreate pages with any page sources/recreated pages you have (cite where you found it on the Wayback Machine/Google Cache in the edit reason plz). Full content restoration will proceed in the next few days up to the latest backup, at least text. Images will need to be restored manually, though thankfully I and Vorticity have archives of almost all of those (though we'll have to use Vorticity's since it also has full attribution data.

I have confirmation from John Lewis he has already invested in DDoS protection and will pour more money into getting more if need be. He also willing to accept donations via Paypal, should we wish to donate, but that will not be needed at this time.

I will also not be staff, at least not to same level I was on Orain. I will be founder of ATT again, and possibly a global volunteer, but staff are selected differently, so I won't have God level access. However, we do have, frankly speaking, more regular, competent staff manning things and we are MUCH more stable.

ATT will NOT die on us again, and I have already made arrangements to have us backed up again so this crap won't happen once more, and will contact other archival services like the WikiTeam as a double failsafe.

There is a sitenotice on our new home asking people to not host new content until the content dump is complete. Please hold onto any page sources/cache rip copies until it is confirmed to be added. Thanks.

http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... entChanges

If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know who nuked Orain and why, and why he's apparently going after Miraheze?  I'm getting the feeling that he's just some troll who fucks with wiki farms to get his jollies...*Shakes head sadly*

Tennie Wrote:If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know who nuked Orain and why, and why he's apparently going after Miraheze?  I'm getting the feeling that he's just some troll who fucks with wiki farms to get his jollies...*Shakes head sadly*

All we know for sure is that it's someone who has a big grudge against Orain and it's staff for some unspecified reason beyond some vague accusations of compromising private data.

For the record, they are full of shit. If anything, THEY were the ones to do that (by burning it to ashes, it was literally their only purpose). The good news is that Miraheze has a MUCH better security grid, and based on the attack vector, they must have had inside information (if they were a disgruntled employee, I have a few suspects, can strike John Lewis off that list for sure, the earlier blamed incursion on him was not his fault as an investigation verified) or exploited a hole in our DNS configuration (their earlier brute force attacks were likely done to find it). Also, John already can been able to coutertrace the attack on him and is successfully fending them off (they've barely gotten a minor DDoS or two off), currently they can't even manage that thanks to his vigilance, and he's willing to pour hard cash into keeping us secure (I already promised to donate money towards that end should he need it).

So in short, Orain had some sort of pre-existing hole for this fool to exploit. John took notes from them and improved his security based on what happened to Orain, so we should be much more secure in our new home. Also, we'll have access to some features we desperately could use, like Visual Editor, Flow, and some other features Orain could never support, so were basically upgrading in some ways.

As for our lost content, it sucks, but there is some hope. the Wayback Machine's next update in a month or two should have most of the page sources we need to recover, so this setback isn't as grevious as earlier indicated. We'll need to restore some images, but I have a lot of those, so does Vorticity.

All in all, we were wounded, but not fatally, and we'll recover.

And this time, we'll be wearing a Kevlar vest if they try to assasinate us again.

GethN7 Wrote:And this time, we'll be wearing a Kevlar vest if they try to assasinate us again.

And don't forget the Kevlar helmet, in case they try to aim for the head!

Tennie Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:And this time, we'll be wearing a Kevlar vest if they try to assasinate us again.

Already taken into account, made arrangements for regular content dumps.

Tennie Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:And this time, we'll be wearing a Kevlar vest if they try to assasinate us again
And don't forget the magical girl outfit.
[Image: gCwt2ay.png]
-- ∇×V

Hey, Geth, I made an error in the email address I just registered with, but even when I respond to the confirmation message for an email change within seconds it tells me the confirmation has expired. Can you pass that on to someone who can do something about it, if such a person is not you? Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Thank you, Geth, got another email and confirmed easily.
-- Bob
---------

Can I post yet?

EDIT: Maybe, as long as I don't post a URL...
--
Rob Kelk

So, how long do you estimate it will take for the content dump to be completed?

Tennie Wrote:So, how long do you estimate it will take for the content dump to be completed?

It's a big dump, so about a day or so. Images will add another few hours, and that's on single non server PC.

On a wikifarm, depends on how much processing power John Lewis has available, but it should only take a fraction of the time mentioned above.

Also, don't post anything YET, the dump will overwrite every page that was already there as of June 15, 2015, but when it's done, post away.

Brent just sent John and I a link to the image dump on his PC, and I'm sifting through my drives for anything not included in the original.

I'm guessing I'm not getting my coffee cup from the Indiegogo campaign.

Could I at least get addshore to reply to my request for my wiki backup image? Even if he says "no, I don't have one," he should at least say something...
--
Rob Kelk

Now that the initial panic is over and recovery/rebuild is on the way, I ask again, why is it that we don't have a backup more recent than three months old?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Now that the initial panic is over and recovery/rebuild is on the way, I ask again, why is it that we don't have a backup more recent than three months old?

At least half of that is my fault. I could have insisted on regular dumps sent to me personally, but I stopped doing so when I got the WikiTeam to archive us (their latest is from August 2014), and I didn't check to make sure more recent dumps were still being made.

For that failure, I offer no excuse and apologize, it won't happen again.

As for the other half, Orain has always had a battle for disk space (turns out our server logs kept building up so retarded fast it wasn't funny), and making backups kept getting shoved to the bottom of the pile, at least until our space problems were allieviated.

I plan to obviate this from now on by requesting regular dumps and attempting to archive them with archive.org every so often, with image dumps when possible (again, going to ask John to help with that). If anyone else would like to help, it would be appreciated.