Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: 2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
One of Windrip's people wanted to diss the Biden "town hall" (possibly to distract attention from the Dotard's train wreck of an interview).  She said the Biden session was like an episode with that [engage sarcasm mode] universally reviled [end sarcasm mode] figure Fred Rogers.

Quote:Twitter users swarmed on Schlapp’s intended slight. Many people found it hard to see how the comparison to the educational classic could be considered a negative. Others pointed out there are much worse comparisons. And some noted that Pennsylvania native Fred Rogers, an ordained minister and the much-loved host of the show, which ran from 1968 to 2001, was particularly treasured in his home state ― which happens to be one that the president desperately needs to win.

Quote:Zac Petkanas
@Zac_Petkanas
Pretty telling that this crew thinks Mr. Rogers is the bad guy.
   Mercedes Schlapp
   @mercedesschlapp
   Well @JoeBiden @ABCPolitics townhall feels like I am watching an episode of Mister Rodgers Neighborhood.   
9:20 PM · Oct 15, 2020

Quote:Zach Braff
@zachbraff
She is bored by his compassion and civility. What a time to be alive.
   Mercedes Schlapp
   @mercedesschlapp
   Well @JoeBiden @ABCPolitics townhall feels like I am watching an episode of Mister Rodgers Neighborhood. 
9:57 PM · Oct 15, 2020

Notice, by the way, that the StormTrumper couldn't even be bothered to spell "Rogers" correctly.  She needs to be "schlapped" upside her head.
Well, it was just last year that a couple Fox & Friends apparatchiks spent several minutes savaging Fred Rogers as an "evil, evil man" for supposedly "ruining" generations of children by encouraging them to grow up with a sense of self-entitlement by telling them that they matter and they're special.
Is she actually someone who works for Trump, or just some rando? We have a lot of nutbags on the left too, so it's hard for me to get upset about someone being wrong on Twitter. Given how the world is going, I need to carefully ration my ire.
(10-16-2020, 03:58 PM)Labster Wrote: [ -> ]Is she actually someone who works for Trump, or just some rando?  We have a lot of nutbags on the left too, so it's hard for me to get upset about someone being wrong on Twitter.  Given how the world is going, I need to carefully ration my ire.

According to her Wikipedia page, she's currently a reelection campaign staffer. "From September 2017 to July 2019, she served as White House Director of Strategic Communications"

So, not just some rando. It looks like she's gone from strategic communications to tactical communications.
sounds like she's become Miss Communications... :p
Voter turnout in my home town is already at 20%.  It's a vote by mail election, so that's 20% of everyone, two and a half weeks before the election.  If the trend holds up that Democrats stay 75% more likely to return their ballots than Republicans statewide, the election is going to be a landslide.
Political analysis: How U.S. polls got it wrong in 2016 — and why they're more likely to get it right this time

tl;dr: The polls got the right answer to the question they asked - who would take the popular vote - but the Electoral College system means that was the wrong question. The question being asked is different this time around.

EDIT (after hazard's reply): Of course, the only poll that really matters is, as always, the one at the ballot box.
Might be a bit too early to count for victory yet; the way things look Democrats are much more likely to vote by mail and early than Republicans, who will likely vote during voting election day and in person.
Y'know that line about crawling over broken glass to vote?  A man in Michigan was determined to live long enough to cast an early ballot, expecting he wouldn't make it to 3 November.

And then...

Quote:...Williams took a long time filling out his ballot. His son, who drove, remembers he was very, very careful to fill the squares fully to ensure it would be counted.

Williams wanted to make the 15-foot walk himself, rather than have one of his kids drop off the ballot. He had lost 40 pounds. But he insisted on trying.

“He was really happy to tell people he had lived long enough to vote,” David remembered.

He died eight days later.

After he was gone, Williams’s family learned his final vote would not be counted under Michigan law. Votes are tallied on Election Day in the state, not as they arrive. Because Williams died before Election Day, his vote would be invalidated. About 850 such ballots had been rejected for the same reason during Michigan’s primary election in August, according to the secretary of state’s office.

And I'm sure there are StormTrumpers laughing about this.

-----
I'm a very forgiving person ... on Lord Vader's terms.  "Apology accepted, Captain."
(10-17-2020, 02:34 PM)DHBirr Wrote: [ -> ]Y'know that line about crawling over broken glass to vote?  A man in Michigan was determined to live long enough to cast an early ballot, expecting he wouldn't make it to 3 November.

And then...

Quote:...Williams took a long time filling out his ballot. His son, who drove, remembers he was very, very careful to fill the squares fully to ensure it would be counted.

Williams wanted to make the 15-foot walk himself, rather than have one of his kids drop off the ballot. He had lost 40 pounds. But he insisted on trying.

“He was really happy to tell people he had lived long enough to vote,” David remembered.

He died eight days later.

After he was gone, Williams’s family learned his final vote would not be counted under Michigan law. Votes are tallied on Election Day in the state, not as they arrive. Because Williams died before Election Day, his vote would be invalidated. About 850 such ballots had been rejected for the same reason during Michigan’s primary election in August, according to the secretary of state’s office.

And I'm sure there are StormTrumpers laughing about this.

-----
I'm a very forgiving person ... on Lord Vader's terms.  "Apology accepted, Captain."

Except for those guys who did the same, or are trying to hold out for November 3rd to vote in person. And Republican Party voters skew much older than Democratic Party voters.
Just noticed this.

Jobs promised to be brought from Taiwan to the USA in 2016 election: 30,000.

Number of people employed in the USA as of late-2020: 281.

How many other jobs did the current administration promise and fail to deliver on?
Utah.

Good ad.

Here's why.
(10-20-2020, 11:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Just noticed this.

Jobs promised to be brought from Taiwan to the USA in 2016 election: 30,000.

Number of people employed in the USA as of late-2020: 281.

How many other jobs did the current administration promise and fail to deliver on?

Ye gads.  Reading through that article... it's like the ultimate in apathy.

Part of the big promise was autonomous vehicles for the workers to commute.

Instead, they got POS golf carts that not even the rent-a-cops want to bother with.

At any rate, I could tell you right off the bat that promising something like a single plant that will employ 30,000 workers is absurd.  Within about five minutes of searching, I found that Tesla's Fremont plant in California is the largest fabrication plant in the USA, and ranked among the top ten largest in the world, so this is nothing to scoff at.

How many people does the plant employ?

About 10,000.

And these people were promising a manufacturing plant that would employ 30,000.  Just to make LCDs.

I've said it in my fiction writing, but it applies in real life as well: It doesn't matter how thin you slice it, it's still bologna.
A word of warning to anybody who's making the usual complaint during these elections:

Would-be immigrant to Canada learns the hard way after online consultant denies refund
So... one week to the official voting day.

Is there anybody here who's allowed to vote who hasn't yet?
Remember 2018?

Specifically, when there was an editorial and then a book claiming a secret "resistance" force out to counter the Nicknamer-in-Chief's "misguided impulses" and undermine parts of his agenda. And then the Nicknamer-in-Chief insisted that the identity of who wrote those be discovered, citing "national security".

Well, now we know who wrote those: It was the most senior bureaucrat responsible for national security.

So, it turns out that citing "national security" was the worst thing that the Nicknamer-in-Chief could have done, since national security was exactly why this person acted.

And thus do we see the difference between patriotism and sycophanthy. A patriot is loyal to the country, not to whoever might be the current inhabitant of 10 Downing, 24 Sussex, or the Oval Office.
Well, just so folks can stop worrying, all those of my immediate family that can vote have voted at the early voting stations.  This includes myself.

That said, we won't go looking for, or even attempt to borrow trouble when Election Day comes along.  But rest assured, if trouble tries to knock on our door, they'll find five men, four of them very large, ready to confront with blunt instruments of mayhem.
On the off-chance you haven't voted yet: The incumbent's record on keeping his campaign promises

tl;dr: 44% kept, 7% compromised on, 49% broken - fewer than Obama managed to keep (48% kept, 28% compromised n, 24% broken), but to be fair Obama had 8 years.

Highlights:
  • Remake the judiciary: Definitely kept - 3 out of 9 justices replaced.
  • "Build the wall": Broken. 7 km of wall isn't even enough for a proof-of-concept
  • "and make Mexico pay for it": Broken.
  • Tax cuts: Kept for the 1%, barely kept for everybody else
  • Eliminate the deficit: Broken. He cut taxes instead.
  • Spend more on the military: Broken. Money was diverted away from the military to pay for that 7 km of wall and repairs to existing border constructions.
  • Put America first: Debatable. There's definitely a new foreign policy, but pulling out of so many international accords and pulling troops out of peacekeeping missions means other countries are now more influential than the USA. America isn't even second now, let alone first.
  • Repeal "Obamacare": Broken.
  • "Drain the swamp": Broken.

The article also mentions his track record with COVID-19, but that's an offside, IMHO. He didn't make any campaign promises about COVID-19.
So... I just heard about the other 2020 U.S. vote

What's the word on the street about the referendum regarding statehood for Puerto Rico? Does anybody who's reading this thread know?
Dunno about Puerto Rico, but Massachusetts ballots had a couple of referendum questions, one of which was whether or not to switch to ranked preference voting in all future elections of state and most county positions, including federal senate and congress seats. Between various comments here about that in a political context elsewhere and my own experience of it in a few quest threads, I'm quite hoping that one passes, and catches on in general across the country for that matter.

(The other one was updating "right to repair" laws to cover control computer programming IIRC, definitely something along those lines, which I am also in favor of but does not have quite such a wide potential impact.)
Statehood for Puerto Rico, as always, sits with Puerto Rico. It has always been their decision to NOT become a state and stay a territory. if it wasn't for their position physically i would have told them to shit or get off the damn pot decades ago.

as for the "ahem" referendum on making DC a state, they LEGALLY CANNOT

the Federal District of Columbia was specifically entitled as a city "In no single state" so as to ensure that no single state could claim to hold the capitol city. all its residents are either residents of Virginia or Maryland as far as voting is concerned, so suck it up and give splitting California another shot
What happens when the results come in from the American elections and they show a Trump loss?

What happens when the results come in and it's *close* --- and then the postal ballots tip it in the following week?

It's insane.

People are genuinely afraid that the peaceful transition of power inherent to a functioning democracy won't happen. Both sides think the other is manipulating the system against them or defrauding the system - so *nobody* has confidence in the results of the ballot.

And furthermore, one side has no confidence in the ability of those who are supposed to make that decision independently to actually make that decision independantly. The whole idea of a political judiciary is just bizarre.

The problem is systemic. The system assumes good faith from all actors, rather than requiring it. All the ambiguities in the system are coming home to roost. But more than that, the confidence of the people - of anyone - in the system to give a result that best represents the voting intent of the people is completely gone.

It doesn't matter what side of the wall you fall on - can you honestly say that you can trust the election will be fair? Can you honestly say that - if the opposing side wins - it represents the actual desires of the majority of people, or at the very least, the zeitgeist of the state considering how the US system works.

I've people honestly afraid the whole place will tip over into near civil war. Like actually afraid of real violence. Violence against people, or violence against property.

Something Europe learned the hard way, is that Constitutions can't really depend on the good faith of all actors. That's half the reason Italian politics gets a bit gonzo - their whole system is set up to prevent another Mussolini. The German constitution tries to prevent another Hitler. The British constitution is really just a series of gentleman's agreements and 'the way things have always been done' and look where that's gotten them.

Like, we've had tight elections or referenda before - we've had ones tighter than the Brexit boondoggle next door, but there's never been any question over the system or whether the result reflected the mood or intent of people. Nobody's ever argued that the system was rigged to prevent them from voting, or the other side was packing the ballots or what have you.

How do you turn the US electoral system back into something people have confidence in - because there's only so many times you can have a system producing a result the majority of the country disagrees with before the system comes apart.

Look. Whatever the fuck happens - vote according to your conscience and try to stay safe.
(11-01-2020, 05:47 PM)Dartz Wrote: [ -> ]Look. Whatever the fuck happens - vote according to your conscience and try to stay safe.

Wise words.

Seriously, couldn't agree more. Whether anyone here votes Biden or Trump, I'll accept the results either way and I just hope everyone who votes does so with a clear mind and a clean conscience. I'm not going to end friendships over whoever wins or loses, and I just pray whoever sits in the Oval Office for another 4 years is someone who can at least tread water when it comes to keeping the US going.
One last comment:

The incumbent is the first GOP President in a long time who has not started a war on his watch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12